• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1135 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Merckx index said:
samhocking said:
There was a fair few comments floating around the media centre that Froome was suffering with breathing and noticed by various journalists during interviews.

Are you a reporter who was there? How would you know this?

The fact it isn't necessarily talked about in the press at the time, is because Froome didn't necessarily say he was having breathing difficulties, so they can't just put it in a piece about Froome if he didn't confirm it.

So if they noticed he wasn’t breathing so well, they couldn’t write that unless Froome confirmed it for them? If Froome was coughing a lot in interviews, can’t mention that unless Froome confirms he was coughing? I saw reports that Froome was smiling at the end of some stages, I guess they shouldn’t have written that unless Froome confirmed that he was smiling.

Since Vuelta finished i've read/heard several journalists say they noticed Froome was not breathing so good and sounding like he was suffering at Vuelta more than they are used to noticing.

Link?

You can however not say you're ill, even if asked if you're ill you will obviously not tell the whole truth for feat of giving away your weakness as opportunity to others to attack you perhaps in ways to reduce you GC lead even more.

If a rider will never confirm that he’s ill, and reporters won't write about something unless he confirms it, that sounds like an effective taboo on ever reporting on a rider's physical health. I wasn't aware that there was such a taboo.

Well one journalist seemed to think his fellow journo's had been talking about it, as posted upthread :cool:

'Here's Daniel Freibe asking him about the speculation that he's been ill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkBT13_ELCM&t=54s'

Re:

TourOfSardinia said:
From the you tube interview:
CF: I felt quite within myself today
I felt fine today.
not a cough either...

Yes but don't forget he's had a few extra puffs to make sure he's not coughing during the interview on stage 18 :D

But seriously, surely we can agree that in sport at this level psychology plays a big part, and it would be foolish to not try and make light of any slight weaknesses for fear of encouraging your opponents to be a little more audacious in attacking than they might otherwise be?

The starting point of this little sub thread was the suggestion that there was no evidence that any journo's had been talking about Froome appearing unwell during previous Vuelta stages.

Surely the clip posted at least provides that evidence, even it doesn't prove much else...

brownbobby: But seriously, surely we can agree that in sport at this level psychology plays a big part, and it would be foolish to not try and make light of any slight weaknesses for fear of encouraging your opponents to be a little more audacious in attacking than they might otherwise be?
so how does Nairo destroyed a top of Ventoux
fit into you generalisation Bob?
quintana%20destroyed.jpg

remember

Re:

TourOfSardinia said:
brownbobby: But seriously, surely we can agree that in sport at this level psychology plays a big part, and it would be foolish to not try and make light of any slight weaknesses for fear of encouraging your opponents to be a little more audacious in attacking than they might otherwise be?
quintana%20destroyed.jpg

remember

Didnt look like Nairo had much choice in that example TBF.....that's a whole different scenario to someone who's feeling a little under the weather trying to make light of it in a post race interview when he's had probably around 30 minutes plus to recover from any exertions on the day.

I mean really, do you think its abnormal for a cyclist to say he feels ok when he really feels ***.....at least until the race is over?

Re:

TourOfSardinia said:
quintana%20destroyed.jpg

remember
Doesn't this work both ways? Sometimes you play up that you're weaker than you are (eg Merckx on Ventoux), sometimes you play up you're stronger (any day with Hinault). Sometimes you play weak when you're strong, strong when you're weak. Specifically with Quintana: guy's gonna lose the race no matter what, he wants the fans at home to think he laid everything on the line, so he hams it up.

Re:

TourOfSardinia said:
quintana%20destroyed.jpg

remember
All he needs is a couple of puffs.

fmk_RoI said:
Specifically with Quintana: guy's gonna lose the race no matter what, he wants the fans at home to think he laid everything on the line, so he hams it up.
That video of Quintana on the summit of the Ventoux was disturbing - to be honest, I didn't consider the possibility that it was partially play-acting by Quintana to make his condition seem worse than it was... but my feeling from watching it again was, that it was real... besides being limp and unable to stand, Quintana seems mentally fried-out, and he mumbles something... maybe he's saying: "de la mañana", twice, but can't really hear what he said. He was messed-up bad one way or another. Anyway he must have realized psychologically that his chances for the win were finished, as you said

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
fmk_RoI said:
Specifically with Quintana: guy's gonna lose the race no matter what, he wants the fans at home to think he laid everything on the line, so he hams it up.
That video of Quintana on the summit of the Ventoux was disturbing - to be honest, I didn't consider the possibility that it was partially play-acting by Quintana to make his condition seem worse than it was... but my feeling from watching it again was, that it was real... besides being limp and unable to stand, Quintana seems mentally fried-out, and he mumbles something... maybe he's saying: "de la mañana", twice, but can't really hear what he said. He was messed-up bad one way or another. Anyway he must have realized psychologically that his chances for the win were finished, as you said

I like how Quintana was able to method act the “limp body” effect, that was impressive, especially after he just rode 221km. Good idea to starting acting in this exhausted manner to send a message back home to the fans :cool:

Quintana’s alleged “hamming it up” from FMK is the best bit of fake news we’ve had since Sam overheard reporters in the press center at the Vuelta talking about Froome’s sickness :lol:

thehog said:
ClassicomanoLuigi said:
fmk_RoI said:

I like how Quintana was able to method act the “limp body” effect, that was impressive, especially after he just rode 221km. Good idea to starting acting in this exhausted manner to send a message back home to the fans :cool:

Quintana’s alleged “hamming it up” from FMK is the best bit of fake news we’ve had since Sam overheard reporters in the press center at the Vuelta talking about Froome’s sickness :lol:

Do you mean the fake news that has now twice had the same link posted up to suggest it wasn't fake :confused:

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Re:

fmk_RoI said:
You be serious and try and talk sensibly about disrepute, he moans. You be make an obvious joke about Quintana hamming it up, he moans. So why bother trying to play nice with people like that?

Thank you for making your motives clearer and clearer.

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Stilletto said:
Zzzz came in here to read the latest froome bashing !
Just a question because I don’t know ?
How long did it take for Ulissi and Petacchi to get their ban ?

Very detailed answers to your question are in this thread if you take the time to read it. Probably in the last 10-15 pages or so.

Seems like this whole sub-discussion about coughing is based on a false premise

The 'tells' were there all along..

stage 15 5th and puts time into GC rivals
Stage 16 1st - wins the TT
Stage 17 14th (dropped in last 2kms)
Stage 18 23rd (but 4th of GC contenders)
Stage 19 bunch with GC riders
Stage 20 3rd (CN say he 'flew' up the mountain)
Stage 21 bunch

if that doesn't reek of someone whose ill I'm not sure what does............

gillan1969 said:
Seems like this whole sub-discussion about coughing is based on a false premise

The 'tells' were there all along..

stage 15 5th and puts time into GC rivals
Stage 16 1st - wins the TT
Stage 17 14th (dropped in last 2kms)
Stage 18 23rd (but 4th of GC contenders)
Stage 19 bunch with GC riders
Stage 20 3rd (CN say he 'flew' up the mountain)
Stage 21 bunch

if that doesn't reek of someone whose ill I'm not sure what does............

Sounds to me like someone who had a bad day and then got better all of a sudden for some reason. Illness is one possibility, normal wear and tear of a GT being another.

The idea that some coughing after a mountain stage exertion is indicative of asthma or illness would mean half the peloton is ill on every stage, historically. It's ridiculous.

brownbobby said:
Well one journalist seemed to think his fellow journo's had been talking about it, as posted upthread :cool:

i guess I missed that. But frankly, when there is page after page after page of what I regard as petty arguments, I often skip reading every post.

'
Here's Daniel Freibe asking him about the speculation that he's been ill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkBT13_ELCM&t=54s'

All right, but he doesn't say what prompted the speculation, whether he appeared ill or whether it was because of a poor performance. He certainly doesn't look ill in that particular video.

Merckx index said:
samhocking said:
There was a fair few comments floating around the media centre that Froome was suffering with breathing and noticed by various journalists during interviews.

Are you a reporter who was there? How would you know this?

The fact it isn't necessarily talked about in the press at the time, is because Froome didn't necessarily say he was having breathing difficulties, so they can't just put it in a piece about Froome if he didn't confirm it.

So if they noticed he wasn’t breathing so well, they couldn’t write that unless Froome confirmed it for them? If Froome was coughing a lot in interviews, can’t mention that unless Froome confirms he was coughing? I saw reports that Froome was smiling at the end of some stages, I guess they shouldn’t have written that unless Froome confirmed that he was smiling.

Since Vuelta finished i've read/heard several journalists say they noticed Froome was not breathing so good and sounding like he was suffering at Vuelta more than they are used to noticing.

Link?

You can however not say you're ill, even if asked if you're ill you will obviously not tell the whole truth for feat of giving away your weakness as opportunity to others to attack you perhaps in ways to reduce you GC lead even more.

If a rider will never confirm that he’s ill, and reporters won't write about something unless he confirms it, that sounds like an effective taboo on ever reporting on a rider's physical health. I wasn't aware that there was such a taboo.

III ;)

TourOfSardinia said:
pastronef said:
he was coughing last week too, after the stage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcLwh2nGbGI
:confused:
No coughing shown there

FFS ... you're all bringing coughing into feckin disrepute, lads. Who can ever cough again and be taken feckin seriously? :lol: :lol:

One cough, two coffs, did cough, didn't coff, they said he coughed ...

Clinic sleuths.

"The genius of that."