• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1151 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
pastronef said:
hazaran said:
thehog said:
Allegedly it was Fuslang according to Froome. But I’m not sure I believe what Froome says. There was a recent video of Tom Dum refusing to shake Froome’s hand.

I love how "not putting his hand in with the other riders for the staged media shoot prior to the race because he is sick" has become "Tom Dum refusing to shake Froome's hand". That's some serious fake news stuff.

maybe Hog missed these posts and the photo
viewtopic.php?p=2231122#p2231122

Wrong photo. I was referring to the video of when they went the elevator, Froome tried to talk and shake hands with TD, TD blanked him. It’s on Twitter. I’ll link later... maybe.

thehog said:
pastronef said:
hazaran said:
thehog said:
Allegedly it was Fuslang according to Froome. But I’m not sure I believe what Froome says. There was a recent video of Tom Dum refusing to shake Froome’s hand.

I love how "not putting his hand in with the other riders for the staged media shoot prior to the race because he is sick" has become "Tom Dum refusing to shake Froome's hand". That's some serious fake news stuff.

Wrong photo. I was referring to the video of when they went the elevator, Froome tried to talk and shake hands with TD, TD blanked him. It’s on Twitter. I’ll link later... maybe.

yep, it´s in the quoted posts I linked in my post. you dont shake nor touch hands if you are sick

thehog said:
pastronef said:
hazaran said:
thehog said:

And Tom D tells Froome he is ill best not to touch, just like the photo

rick james said:
thehog said:
pastronef said:
hazaran said:
thehog said:

And Tom D tells Froome he is ill best not to touch, just like the photo

Maybe Tom Dum didn’t want to catch Badzhilla? :lol:

Froome finished six minutes down on today’s stage, after being dropped on the climb yesterday, and all anyone here wants to talk about is a handshake? Maybe this is just a training ride for him, but if that’s the case, why did GT predict Froome would win the previous queen stage? Reading into Froome’s comments, at T-A and before, at RdS, I have the impression that while he’s not seriously worried, neither did he expect this. After all, what was the point of all that Strava show in January if not to be in great shape early?

Is he going to go all out in the TT? If he doesn't finish well, will we even know?

Merckx index said:
Froome finished six minutes down on today’s stage, after being dropped on the climb yesterday, and all anyone here wants to talk about is a handshake? Maybe this is just a training ride for him, but if that’s the case, why did GT predict Froome would win the previous queen stage? Reading into Froome’s comments, at T-A and before, at RdS, I have the impression that while he’s not seriously worried, neither did he expect this. After all, what was the point of all that Strava show in January if not to be in great shape early?

Is he going to go all out in the TT? If he doesn't finish well, will we even know?

He may be a bit concerned, of course ... but that's pretty normal in pro sport. Batting .300 the previous season ... some players struggle with a buck seventy-five, or less, in spring training. Hard to tell. Sooner or later ... they're all has beens. Is the time now for Dawg?

Noticeably, couldn't handle the bite on the Queen, day before. My feed wasn't great yesterday ... so didn't see where he was before he punctured ... if anyone gave him a hand post puncture ... whatever.

So could be something ... could be nothing, I reckon.

Alpe73 said:
Merckx index said:

He may be a bit concerned, of course ... but that's pretty normal in pro sport. Batting .300 the previous season ... some players struggle with a buck seventy-five, or less, in spring training. Hard to tell. Sooner or later ... they're all has beens. Is the time now for Dawg?

Noticeably, couldn't handle the bite on the Queen, day before. My feed wasn't great yesterday ... so didn't see where he was before he punctured ... if anyone gave him a hand post puncture ... whatever.

Velon uploaded MKs and Dawgs watts for the final KM. Both averaged the same with Froome having a higher peak wattage. I’d say he’s in training. Non-handshaker Tom Dum didn’t finish the race and he is Giro defending champion.

thehog said:
Alpe73 said:
Merckx index said:

Velon uploaded MKs and Dawgs watts for the final KM. Both averaged the same with Froome having a higher peak wattage. I’d say he’s in training. Non-handshaker Tom Dum didn’t finish the race and he is Giro defending champion.

Yep ... think you're right. Those watts say something.

The non-handshake. A piece of scrap metal ... but ... what the hell ... I'll take it ....

"So Tommy's givin dee Dawg dee ole cut eye, me tinkin. I and I nah gut feck ... but could be Tommy D's inside ees Dawg's hed. Chrissy banninated ... rune dee holefugginshoh."

"This is the story ... of LOVE and HATE."
- Radio Raheem

Bring it, Giro!!!

Merckx index said:

You are looking for a story that isn't there, he had a puinctre with 5k to go, and it ended up with him and a BMC rider out for a coffee ride pace finish

keep digging though

rick james said:
You are looking for a story that isn't there, he had a puinctre with 5k to go, and it ended up with him and a BMC rider out for a coffee ride pace finish

Thanks for this information, and I mean it seriously. Before I posted here, I:

a) read every story of the stage I could easily find;
b) did an internet search on "Froome puncture"
c) checked the Pro Riders forum to see if anyone mentioned it there.

Having drawn a blank on all of these, I posted here, knowing that a universal human trait is correcting other people with glee, and if Froome had some kind of mechanical, someone would surely mention it here.

keep digging though

Digging for what? What kind of digging do you think underlay my post?

Merckx index said:
rick james said:

Thanks for this information, and I mean it seriously. Before I posted here, I:

a) read every story of the stage I could easily find;
b) did an internet search on "Froome puncture"
c) checked the Pro Riders forum to see if anyone mentioned it there.

Having drawn a blank on all of these, I posted here, knowing that a universal human trait is correcting other people with glee, and if Froome had some kind of mechanical, someone would surely mention it here.

keep digging though

Digging for what? What kind of digging do you think underlay my post?

Wowza, MI ... you come down with a bug or something, pal? :eek:

Usually ... you can find a peptide bond on a flea's left nut ... before we can say Salbutomol. :surprised:

CN --> Races --> TA --> Live Report (Stage 5) --> Find --> 'puncture' (nah ... Not Aru) --> again --> 15:41:12 CET
Froome punctures with 5.5km to go. There ya go, mate. :)

Guess someone's teacher's not going to be too pleased with someone's Scientific Method revision. :redface:

All good, MI ... if tweren't for you we'd still be thinking Phenothalien Red was McLaren Vale buzz. ;)

Merckx index said:
After all, what was the point of all that Strava show in January if not to be in great shape early?
1) Replicating Vuelta-like conditions as part of research into the magic kidneys hypothesis;

2) A passive aggressive FU to all those crying 'Get thee to a nunnery, go. To a nunnery, go, and quickly too.'

3) The first stage of his Giro-Tour double attempt - psych the *** out of the opposition.

4) Michelle gave him a new power-meter for Christmas and he just couldn't stop playing with it,

5) It was a choice of either riding like crazy all day long or going home and changing the sprog's nappies.

This one is the Gillette Fusion ProGlide of Occam's Razor: too many blades to choose from.

rick james said:
Merckx index said:

keep digging though
digger's mostly over here:
https://twitter.com/Digger_forum/with_replies#content-main-heading
;)

Alpe73 said:
Wowza, MI ... you come down with a bug or something, pal?

Well, I thought if I changed the subject from criticizing Michelle to speculating on Froome’s early season form, it might bring some peace and camaraderie to the thread. But I guess no discussion about Froome is ever going to be like that.

CN --> Races --> TA --> Live Report (Stage 5) --> Find --> 'puncture' (nah ... Not Aru) --> again --> 15:41:12 CET
Froome punctures with 5.5km to go. There ya go, mate. :)

Touche! I thought if it wasn’t in the race summary, it wouldn’t be in the as it happened, either. OTOH, look what else was there:

Froome does not look to be riding well. Mechanical? Ill? Not in form? Our imagination?
– with about 20 km to go.

Froome and a BMC rider are working their way through the team cars, having a little chat along the way.
– This less than two minutes after the puncture was reported, suggesting he probably didn’t wait six minutes for help. No motivation to ride hard at that point, but still.

rick james said:
MI maybe try and watch a race and you’ll see what goes on

I’ve seen many, but couldn’t watch this one from where I was.

My original point stands, though. He hasn’t been riding that well. Now what that means can be debated, but it seems to me worthy of mention. If he isn't trying to be competitive, I'm not sure I see why he would feel entering the race was so necessary that it would be worth tolerating all the anger directed at him.

Merckx index said:
My original point stands, though. He hasn’t been riding that well. Now what that means can be debated, but it seems to me worthy of mention. If he isn't trying to be competitive, I'm not sure I see why he would feel entering the race was so necessary that it would be worth tolerating all the anger directed at him.

luckily the pro-cycling peloton is not twitter or the Clinic. a few riders and directeurs sportifs talked against Froome decision to ride, fair, I also would have preferred he trained at home.
but "all the anger" is on here, on the web, some fan on the road dressed as a ventolin puffer. and some strong newspapers articles.
pro-riders pedal and put their head down, and the peloton cant afford to be so vocal against one of its members. Fuglsang, as an example, explained he understood more about Froome´s situation after talking with him (people will say Fuglsang is a kunt or lying or whatever)
fans on the road luckily are the biggest part of people following. we on here and twitter are maybe the 1%, so our anger or support matters to us, not much out there.

pastronef said:
Merckx index said:

luckily the pro-cycling peloton is not twitter or the Clinic. a few riders and directeurs sportifs talked against Froome decision to ride, fair, I also would have preferred he trained at home.
but "all the anger" is on here, on the web, some fan on the road dressed as a ventolin puffer. and some strong newspapers articles.
pro-riders pedal and put their head down, and the peloton cant afford to be so vocal against one of its members. Fuglsang, as an example, explained he understood more about Froome´s situation after talking with him (people will say Fuglsang is a kunt or lying or whatever)
fans on the road luckily are the biggest part of people following. we on here and twitter are maybe the 1%, so our anger or support matters to us, not much out there.

Training is training and racing is racing.....wether he's racing for the win or not, its still an important part of the build up towards the real goals being targeted later in the year. There's only so much race prep you can simulate training solo or in small groups.

And as i recall, by previous years standards, he had a pretty wretched early season last year to the point i thought he'd screwed something up in his prep...turned out he and the coaches knew better than me.

pastronef said:
Merckx index said:

you got truth, P. :)

brownbobby said:
pastronef said:
Merckx index said:

Training is training and racing is racing.....wether he's racing for the win or not, its still an important part of the build up towards the real goals being targeted later in the year. There's only so much race prep you can simulate training solo or in small groups.

And as i recall, by previous years standards, he had a pretty wretched early season last year to the point i thought he'd screwed something up in his prep...turned out he and the coaches knew better than me.
You can prove anything with stats. So let's look at his early season CQ points tally:

2018: 48
2017: 50
2016: 143
2015: 146
2014: 193
2013: 216

Conclusion? he's getting more rubbish each year...in a couple of years, he won't even register.

pastronef said:
Merckx index said:

so Fuslang is given information (which he repeats selectively to journos) about Froome's defence which Froome (for reasons of confidentiality we assume) can't share with anyone else? Sounds legit.......

fmk_RoI said:
brownbobby said:
pastronef said:
Merckx index said:

You can prove anything with stats. So let's look at his early season CQ points tally:

Conclusion? he's getting more rubbish each year...in a couple of years, he won't even register.

for context, lets have a week look at what he did early season, before the post-Poland transformation

2007: 7
2008: 43
2009: 36
2010: 39
2011: 0

gillan1969 said:
fmk_RoI said:
brownbobby said:
pastronef said:
Merckx index said:

for context, lets have a week look at what he did early season, before the post-Poland transformation

2007: 7
2008: 43
2009: 36
2010: 39
2011: 0
As I thought. Proof that black is polka-dot orange with a twist of green.

TRENDING THREADS