• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1185 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Benotti69 said:
MartinGT said:
Dawg lost over a minute today. He will pull out now citing injuries sustained during the TT recon. But we all know its because he's riding pan y agua now uncle Cooky has gone.

You think Froome rode on only pan y agua at Barloworld? I don't.

I don't think he is riding on pan y agua now, but Cookson is no longer in charge and there may be a clause in his 1.4mill that he doesn't test positive or he loses the dosh so Sky who probably get 50% of the 1.4 are probably playing safe on the doping end of things. Just means no motor and no unlimited doping.

For starters no fat burners were used, he looks chubbier than grantour Froome.

Benotti69 said:
MartinGT said:
Dawg lost over a minute today. He will pull out now citing injuries sustained during the TT recon. But we all know its because he's riding pan y agua now uncle Cooky has gone.

I don't think he is riding on pan y agua now, but Cookson is no longer in charge and there may be a clause in his 1.4mill that he doesn't test positive or he loses the dosh so Sky who probably get 50% of the 1.4 are probably playing safe on the doping end of things. Just means no motor and no unlimited doping.

Target testing is a *** and Lappys new Dawg Kennel motor checking device won’t be helping. I’d say Froome is back at 2010 doping a little bit phase. Good to see :cool:

Re: Re:

Mayomaniac said:
TourOfSardinia said:
The utility of his low-fat approach is reduced
in the Giro when in May the mountains freeze your chest
Kinda:
(Tour) If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen.
(Giro) If you can't stand the cold get out of the chest freezer.
;)
Ryder also paid for it in 2013 when he showed up at around 68kg at the start of the Giro, he could now longer cope with the bad weather.
Rasmussen never had any problems when he trained in the Dolomites though. But he was "An expert of his own body" of course!

thehog said:
Target testing is a ***

I'd love to see what the current "index of suspicion" for target testing looks like, and I wonder how being repeatedly target-tested OOC changes riders' behaviour. Being able to execute a doping program while being under the microscope is may be a key factor in long-term GC success in many cases.

thehog said:
Benotti69 said:
MartinGT said:
Target testing is a *** and Lappys new Dawg Kennel motor checking device won’t be helping. I’d say Froome is back at 2010 doping a little bit phase. Good to see :cool:

Didn't Froome take a nature break right before the Etna climb? So much so that he missed his helicopter after the stage, as it took him hours to muster enough pee for the doping controls check. -- Hours for the body's metabolism to do its thing, maybe?

thehog said:
Benotti69 said:
MartinGT said:

I’m sure a TUE for Froome’s next “ailment” is in the works.

With the way he’s riding it would need to be a TUE for anemia though...

There’s a lot of speculation of whether Froome will abandon if he continues riding poorly, so he can prepare for the Tour. But if, as is likely, the decision in his case comes before the Tour, and if, as also is likely, it’s a proactive ban, he won’t be able to ride the Tour. So it seems to me that logic would dictate he ride the Giro all the way through; it could very well be his last race for a while. Even if, less likely, he got a retroactive ban, it would probably include the Tour. Of course in that event the Giro wouldn’t matter, but he wouldn’t know that now.

The race schedule also doesn’t favor bailing soon. There won’t be another mountain stage till the end of this (second) week, he’s certainly not going to give up before then. If he does poorly on Saturday and Sunday, it’s conceivable he could be so far out of it he figures he can’t win. I think that’s a real possibility after this last stage. But if he doesn’t lose any or too much more time (we still don’t know, he himself may not know, how much his performance so far has been the result of the crashes), then he’d certainly want to stay through the rest day and see how much time he can make up on the climbers on the ITT.

At that point, there wouldn’t be much advantage, from the point of view of preparing for the Tour (which again, is likely not to happen, anyway), for not continuing. There are three very tough-looking stages at the end of the last week where a lot of time could be lost by any of his rivals on a bad day.

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
MartinGT said:

You think Froome rode on only pan y agua at Barloworld? I don't

When put on the spot by Kimmage, Froome admitted that he received injections from an Italian doctor at Barloworld (I bet Michelle kicked him hard under the table for saying that!)

IIRC the Dawg said he wasn't sure what was in the injections but I think fluimucil was mentioned (later to take a starring role in the Wiggo's jiffybag affair of course)

previous days more calamity from our hapless hero but yesterday did look like a changing of the guard...the front group more interested in themselves than necessarily worrying about Froome languishing someway back..

in terms of a DNF (MI) whilst point taken above no option looking good if this is the downfall....if scenario outlined plays out...we've all the speculation post-2011 Vuelta and then bang...a UCI change, a positive and then guess what...never the same again.....next year a year older

he really needs a good GC performance if he wants (even in his own imagination) a lasting sporting legacy rather than what may be a GT GC drop-off whilst different, as dramatic as that other asthmatic from SKY

the Giro...where wheezy SKY dopers come to die :D

Froome finds out about salbutamol positive in Sept, agrees to Giro appearance ($$$) banking on the case not being resolved by May, but thinking chances of being allowed to ride le tour low?

has this tin foil theory been floated before?

Re:

chuuurles said:
Froome finds out about salbutamol positive in Sept, agrees to Giro appearance ($$$) banking on the case not being resolved by May, but thinking chances of being allowed to ride le tour low?

has this tin foil theory been floated before?

How about Cookson was supposed to sweep it under the carpet, but he went and lost the election?

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
Looking at the Giro photos the Dawg appears to be carrying a bit more weight than usual life's a *** when you have to scale back the cheeky sal tablets blag

As for the twitching evasion when asked in his presser whether he's still taking sal if the Dawg really is asthmatic answering that question would be a no brainer surely

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
Re:

wirral said:
Now that the Giro is looking lost for Froome, you would think Mike Morgan will be using every trick in the book to delay proceedings so any decision comes out post- (rather than pre-) Tour.

Not lost yet...! In his interview he reminded everyone that Nibali was 3 minutes down and still won the Giro.. was that a veiled reference that he's going to quietly step up the program to be roaring the last hill stages...?
I still think he's foxing and doing head games with the other favourites, giving them false hope..
The ITT will be the real acid test.. A top 3-4 there and he's still on track for the top step...

Something that's making me chuckle, some of the people saying that he will peak in the third week and are invoking Nibali 2016 as someone who made up a big deficit to win the whole thing, were the same people screaming about how Nibali was clearly blood doping back then. (not here specifically ofc)

vedrafjord said:
thehog said:
Target testing is a ***

I'd love to see what the current "index of suspicion" for target testing looks like, and I wonder how being repeatedly target-tested OOC changes riders' behaviour. Being able to execute a doping program while being under the microscope is may be a key factor in long-term GC success in many cases.

I suspect under Cookson, Barfield and co. were giving Sky and Dawg a clean run. Who can remember Brailsford telling a press conference that the UCI wrote him a thank-you letter for being cooperative on bike checks. I’d say Pres Lappy has hit Froome with all his since returning from the South African doping drop zone.

Whilst Froome might be technically correct and within his rights, in that his current salbutomol usage is nobody else's business, surely he must see a certain arrogance in his reply to a journalists very fair question yesterday.

Given the cloud that remains over his continued participation in the sport, the least that he could have done was answer the question honestly and transparently. Some things never change with Team Sky, however. Prudhomme will be clinging onto the hope that the decision on his salbutomol case is made prior to the tour. I wouldn't bank on it at this stage.

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
He's probably at his wit's end about the subject, frustrated and most likely very afraid of what's coming. Personally, I'm not sure how he sleeps at night.

Re:

ontheroad said:
Whilst Froome might be technically correct and within his rights, in that his current salbutomol usage is nobody else's business, surely he must see a certain arrogance in his reply to a journalists very fair question yesterday.

Given the cloud that remains over his continued participation in the sport, the least that he could have done was answer the question honestly and transparently. Some things never change with Team Sky, however. Prudhomme will be clinging onto the hope that the decision on his salbutomol case is made prior to the tour. I wouldn't bank on it at this stage.

I think he's answered quite a few salbutamol questions this past 8 months or so. It's weird asking him about it every day, I mean, its not like somethings changed. I'm also amazed at people wondering wether or not he still uses salbutamol or gets outraged seing him use it in competition. It's not like asthma is a communicable disease that will pass like the flu, he will be taking some form of medication the rest of his life probably. Journalists are basically goading him to anger just for effect and headlines at this point, which is their perogative, but its still stupid unless there are more facts to discuss.

GraftPunk said:
He's probably at his wit's end about the subject, frustrated and most likely very afraid of what's coming. Personally, I'm not sure how he sleeps at night.

I would imagine quite well. He's gotten wealthy doping his way to the top.

Oude Geuze said:
I think he's answered quite a few salbutamol questions this past 8 months or so. It's weird asking him about it every day, I mean, its not like somethings changed.

Quite right, it is a bit silly.

Oude Geuze said:
I'm also amazed at people wondering wether or not he still uses salbutamol or gets outraged seing him use it in competition. It's not like asthma is a communicable disease that will pass like the flu, he will be taking some form of medication the rest of his life probably. Journalists are basically goading him to anger just for effect and headlines at this point, which is their perogative, but its still stupid unless there are more facts to discuss.

I think many people don't believe for a minute that he has asthma.