• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1205 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/05/only-love-can-break-your-heart-a-lamentation-on-chris-froome/

In moments like this, it is sad to have to say this out loud: The sport of cycling belongs to the fans. These are good people whose patience and passion has been tested for decades now. These are the good people who ultimately enable the business of pro cycling to exist and flourish. These who are the good people who camp out on remote mountain roads to celebrate a beautiful sport and be within an arm’s reach of their heroes for a few fleeting seconds.

And Chris Froome is shitting all over these people.

Re:

claude cat said:
https://cyclingtips.com/2018/05/only-love-can-break-your-heart-a-lamentation-on-chris-froome/

In moments like this, it is sad to have to say this out loud: The sport of cycling belongs to the fans. These are good people whose patience and passion has been tested for decades now. These are the good people who ultimately enable the business of pro cycling to exist and flourish. These who are the good people who camp out on remote mountain roads to celebrate a beautiful sport and be within an arm’s reach of their heroes for a few fleeting seconds.

Well done article. I think he said what so many fans want to say. I think it's one of those we know they're doping, but what we want is to see what is plausible, what we can believe. Not what Froome did today which is not believable or plausible. I truly think this is a case of we've seen this too many times and know we can't believe something that is too good to be true.

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Did Sky get a memo last night saying that TDF is out of the question for Froome?

So it's win at all costs for the Giro?

It's hard to believe that he has this capacity all of a sudden, and didn't have anything like it until now (in this race).
Seems like a decision was made to let Froome off the leash

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I had only watched snippets of the Giro this year. Mostly because I can't stomach the Froome crap that has put me off the tour and veulta. I thought his team had zero tolerance policy?? which means he should have been fired when he returned the adverse finding and not riding at all? But that aside I switched channels to see how the race was going and see if Yates was hanging in, as luck would have it, it was exactly when Froome attacked with 80km to go and everyone else was struggling....my immediate thought was he was doing a Landis, so in that vein, I am hoping for the following, he tests positive and is treated like the pariah Landis has been. I can't wait 10+ years as in the Armstrong case.

Re: Re:

Koronin said:
claude cat said:

Well done article. I think he said what so many fans want to say. I think it's one of those we know they're doping, but what we want is to see what is plausible, what we can believe. Not what Froome did today which is not believable or plausible. I truly think this is a case of we've seen this too many times and know we can't believe something that is too good to be true.
Unfortunately, but predictably, CyclingTips is getting slammed by skyborg left, right and centre for publishing that piece. Quelle mass outrage...

42x16ss said:
Koronin said:
claude cat said:

Unfortunately, but predictably, CyclingTips is getting slammed by skyborg left, right and centre for publishing that piece. Quelle mass outrage...

Yep, I noticed as well. They can be a very vocal group. They're on the facebook pages (all of them or at least the English language ones, they don't appear to be on the Spanish ones) as well, although they seem to be balanced out on several of the other pages better.

Re:

bigcog said:
Anybody know a breakdown of the time he gained/lost on the climbs, false flats and descents ? I got the impression a fair chunk was gained on the descents, but obviously that would spoil the narrative somewhat if that is correct.

https://ammattipyoraily.wordpress.com/2018/05/25/giro-ditalia-2018-stage-19-last-80-3-km-froome-%E2%86%94-dumoulin-gps-time-gap/

https://twitter.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1000136775065587712

Looks like the 'narrative' is accurate.

Re:

luckyboy said:
Kinda can't believe a mainstream outlet published that.

And I don't mean anything against Flax or Cyclingtips, who I've worked with before, just that I've never seen something written about a 'non-doper' like that outside of a forum or random blog.

Wht does non doper mean? Because I'm pretty sure that between a doping violation and the suspension stuff like that has been Written about riders.

Re:

claude cat said:

Yeah, that's it exactly. I WANT to believe, I really do. Hell, I'm 50 years old, and cycling has been a HUGE part of my life since I was 15. (training, racing, cyclo-rando, clubs, watching TdF etc)

But how can I when we see this nonsense? I don't think CF is "despicable human being" like a lot of posters here will gladly point out...but the sport is so rotten that lining up for the start with a doping suspension hanging over his head, knowing that his case could ruin not just his career, but his teammates' and befoul the entire Giro seems normal...I just can't wrap my head around it. It really is "shitting on the fans." But it's not as if the crowds are any smaller...

Having said that, I was grandly entertained for an entire afternoon yesterday. Can't put a price on that!

Maybe that's the low bar that's been set.

Edit: to be clear, I don't think the actual fact of Froome's stage win is insulting, but the fact that he is racing at all is what piques me. I think he would have to be certifiably crazy to be on something detectable and launch that attack. Which he isn't....and that's the rub: If everyone raced clean (well, within the rules, such as they are), we'd STILL see these dramatic rides. Maybe some donkeys have been turned into racehorses, but you still have to have a good physiology and put in the hard miles.

Bolder said:
claude cat said:

Yeah, that's it exactly. I WANT to believe, I really do. Hell, I'm 50 years old, and cycling has been a HUGE part of my life since I was 15. (training, racing, cyclo-rando, clubs, watching TdF etc)

But how can I when we see this nonsense? I don't think CF is "despicable human being" like a lot of posters here will gladly point out...but the sport is so rotten that lining up for the start with a doping suspension hanging over his head, knowing that his case could ruin not just his career, but his teammates' and befoul the entire Giro seems normal...I just can't wrap my head around it. It really is "shitting on the fans." But it's not as if the crowds are any smaller...

Having said that, I was grandly entertained for an entire afternoon yesterday. Can't put a price on that!

Maybe that's the low bar that's been set.

I think this is exactly the point. We want to believe. We're willing to believe (just like with movies) as long as they make it look plausible. The problem here was that was brazen and reminiscent of too many performances that we know where doped. It screams unbelievable and not plausible.

Re:

claude cat said:

What a load of sanctimonious bs. This is exactly the sort of stage people will remember and talk about for decades - this kind of drama is precisely what keeps the sport relevant and in the mainstream.

And it would hardly be less suspicious if Froome didn't exist and a TTer like Dumoulin had ended up putting 5 minutes into his closest rivals instead.

The only people who seem to have not enjoyed it are those who are massive fanboys of other riders primarily, rather than fans of the sport. This was great entertainment.

I have a hard time understanding how you can time your form for a single stage, like Froome did today. I am sure you can time your form to a given week or even close to a single day, but not while racing a 3 week GT though. That's what's most unbelievable for me.

The show today also emphazied the circus around his sal-case. After this performance, no one except froome; Giro execs, UCI, WADA, CAS, looks good. After that stage I wouldn't be surprised if they let him off the hook, simply because they would look like idiots if they sanction him now, after the world got a super exciting stage and a "new" Giro winner.

It would look really stupid to all involved if he has to give up this Giro title. And eventually his TdF title.

In other news. How can Yates crack so bad ?

DFA123 said:
What a load of sanctimonious bs. This is exactly the sort of stage people will remember and talk about for decades - this kind of drama is precisely what keeps the sport relevant and in the mainstream.

And it would hardly be less suspicious if Froome didn't exist and a TTer like Dumoulin had ended up putting 5 minutes into his closest rivals instead.

The only people who seem to have not enjoyed it are those who are massive fanboys of other riders primarily, rather than fans of the sport. This was great entertainment.
Yes, in a world of the superficial and soundbites, this kind of thing is what the sport needs. Doesn't have to be believable, it has to be spectacular. I'm not a 'fanboy' of anyone in this Giro, but I felt cheated. The fact that quite a number of (ex) cyclists react the way they do, speaks volumes.

Jagartrott said:
DFA123 said:

Yes, in a world of the superficial and soundbites, this kind of thing is what the sport needs. Doesn't have to be believable, it has to be spectacular. I'm not a 'fanboy' of anyone in this Giro, but I felt cheated. The fact that quite a number of (ex) cyclists react the way they do, speaks volumes.
It's no less believable than Dumoulin winning a GT by minutes or Yates destroying everyone in the first two weeks then losing 45 minutes on one day. Or Contador finding form out of nowhere to rip up the last GT of his career and win on Angliru. Or Nibali attacking and holding off a load of sprinters to win Milan San Remo, a few months after also winning Lombardia. Or Quickstep anihilating everyone in the classics. Or Valverde returning from a terrible injury to dominate every stage race he enters this year, aged 38.

None of cycling at the very highest level is believable. It hasn't been since blood doping was introduced to the sport. The least we can ask is that they make it entertaining, creating suspense and drama. Froome hasn't done that in the past - he's generally showed an Armstrong type dominance - but yesterday he did. He created a masterpiece for the ages.

DFA123 said:
Yes, that's it. Could you please go throught he last 10+ pages of this thread and for everyone that expressed they felt cheated, could not believe what they were seeing etc., list which riders they are massive fanboys of? That's a lot of work, but it's also a pretty big statement that right now you cannot back up.

LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:
Yes, that's it. Could you please go throught he last 10+ pages of this thread and for everyone that expressed they felt cheated, could not believe what they were seeing etc., list which riders they are massive fanboys of? That's a lot of work, but it's also a pretty big statement that right now you cannot back up.
No. It's pretty clear that only people who watch the sport through personalities (their enjoyment of the race being framed primarily by the performances of both their favourites and those they dislike) would not have enjoyed watching a stage with an 80km solo attack.

TRENDING THREADS