• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
jilbiker said:
Sorry he is not a talented young man, neither is Wiggins. Its just juice. If he goes 2 mins or greater ahead in the Vuelta, I will switch off watching.
Why? One day we all will have a good laugh at the Aicar and TB5000 generation. Just like the EPO wonderboys.

I know how cycling looks like, hell, I did it myself in my better years, anyone with a bit of historical recollection knows the same.

Tyler'sTwin said:
Froome has always ridden in the BP era. His stepping up can't be attributed to the sport getting cleaner. He just made a Claudio Chiapucci like transformation.

Chiappucci v Froome prior to their big break(Tour 90/Vuelta 11)

Chippa

12th Giro d'Italia(kom winner)
7th Paris-Nice 1 stage win
1st Coppa Placci
1st Tour of Piedmont
2nd Tour of Trentino
8th Fleche Wallone
24th Giro d'Italia
26th Vuelta A Espana

versus

Froome
2nd UK TT Championship
4th SunTour
15th Tour of Romandy
3rd Giro del Appenino
17th Worlds TT
34th Giro D'Italia
1st one stage Giro del Capo

Wanna tell me which one had the better palmares before their transformation.

Tyler'sTwin said:
Froome has always ridden in the BP era. His stepping up can't be attributed to the sport getting cleaner. He just made a Claudio Chiapucci like transformation.

And then some. What's more amazing is how Froome's ITT can improve at the same level as his meteoric from mediocrity rise to one of the best climbers in the world. All in the space of 1 year. Although to be fair to him he was only catching up with his Capitan.

I can't believe this is all playing out again right in front of everyone's eyes and yet again some people are still buying into this Sky utter utter crap of marginal gains/always had the talent but../...now training harder/lost the weight (yep good one for the ITT's)/ off the booze/parasites in the blood that take a summer holiday when GT's are on.. and any number of other blatant rubbish they come up with to justify this so freeking obvious joke of a clean team.

Rant over:(

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
DeGendt, Sastre, Evans.... just to name some of the "good guys". :p

So that would be none of the riders you initially named then.

As for those guys, are you serious? Sastre and Evans were both good from early on. De Gendt is still younger than Froome was when he made his step forward, has a much better palmares than Froome had at that point, and still isn't even close to Froome as a stage racer.

Froome has had the most dramatic improvement of any cyclist in the last decade, and arguably longer.

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
All you have to do is look at him. It ain't natural to be that skinny, it's not his natural physique. You can tell which guys are naturally twigs (Rasmussen, Brajkovic). Froome is taking sh!t to get that skinny. Sh!t that gets him freakishly lean and allows him to retain all of his power for the time trials. Since when do twigs like him and Wiggins win chronos? Dude actually resembles a skeleton.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Altitude said:
All you have to do is look at him. It ain't natural to be that skinny, it's not his natural physique. You can tell which guys are naturally twigs (Rasmussen, Brajkovic). Froome is taking sh!t to get that skinny. Sh!t that gets him freakishly lean and allows him to retain all of his power for the time trials. Since when do twigs like him and Wiggins win chronos? Dude actually resembles a skeleton.

Sums up the way I feel.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Altitude said:

Then have a look at Gerdemann. He looked like Dr. Death when showing up for the TdF 2009.
I guess everbody does that get-skinny-at-all-cost-thing now. It´s not a copyright of Sky.

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
"Get skinny to the bone and increase all your power outputs" seems to have become the copyright of Sky though, as theyre the only thing I can think of where this happened, bar maybe LA.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
It´s on the LA-Spin, then i saw it with Gerdemann and Wiggins (at GAR or HTC, can´t remember which year it was). So maybe Sky did extend it to the extreme, but they don´t hold the copyright. :p

Havetts said:
"Get skinny to the bone and increase all your power outputs" seems to have become the copyright of Sky though, as theyre the only thing I can think of where this happened, bar maybe LA.
In LA's case it was empty claims and he didn't actually lose any significant weight (a kilo or two, perhaps?). There's some controversy regarding Wiggins's weight, but at any rate Froome does look remarkably lean and Chicken-like.

Can't manipulate your blood so much these days? No problem! Weight loss drugs are the new frontier!

May 26, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
It´s on the LA-Spin, then i saw it with Gerdemann and Wiggins (at GAR or HTC, can´t remember which year it was). So maybe Sky did extend it to the extreme, but they don´t hold the copyright. :p

No, definitely true, we have the Chicken as trendsetting role model. :D

as roundabout said, Evans lost two years 2003-2004 near the beginning of his road career repeatedly breaking his collarbone, so there is a dip in his points tally.

Foxxy, I don't know why you are being so dogmatic on this one. The progression of Contador, Sastre and Evans is entirely natural, Froome has been a basement dweller his entire career until exactly one year ago at Vuelta. As many have noted, he has the largest jump in performance of any rider in living memory. Comparing his career with those others is ludicrous.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
sittingbison said:
as roundabout said, Evans lost two years 2003-2004 near the beginning of his road career repeatedly breaking his collarbone, so there is a dip in his points tally.

Foxxy, I don't know why you are being so dogmatic on this one. The progression of Contador, Sastre and Evans is entirely natural, Froome has been a basement dweller his entire career until exactly one year ago at Vuelta. As many have noted, he has the largest jump in performance of any rider in living memory. Comparing his career with those others is ludicrous.

No that "hounour" goes to Pharmstrong, AC and Wiggins. Froome isn´t even close.
For starters let me quote this one again:

the big ring said:
cqvsyearsasapro.png

As raised above, CQ only speaks to the accumulated points, not in the manner they were achieved.

I graphed a few riders as CQ vs years as a pro - Contador and Wiggins are still the standouts for me.

Curious to see Contador and Evans follow an initial spurt then decline, then Contador smacks everyone for 6. Wiggins waits until he's an old man of the peloton, doing nothing at all for 10 years before smacking everyone for 6.

It's pretty at least :D

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Why would you quote that? Only somebody who wasn't following cycling could find that usefull. Contador had well documented health problems in 2004 (and keep in mind he was only 22 at this point). In 2005, at age 23, he had a really good season, picking up stage wins in Down Under, Pays Basque and Romandie. In 2006 he continued this, winning stages again in Romandie and the Tour de Suisse, but this 'dip' in 2006 can be explained by the fact that he was supposed to ride the Tour but his team (Liberty Seguros) wasn't allowed to race due to Puerto. In 2007 (age 25) he saw another increase in his performance, same as in 2008 and 2009.

Contador had pretty much a steady line going upwarts from a very young age, only hampered by health and team problems. Completely, and I mean completely uncomparable to Froome.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
You all find reasons why guy A, B, or C had reasons for his downfalls or absence of results. I never applied this tactic, but here i go now: bilharzia and no,- or weak teams before his performance jumps.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Lanark said:
this 'dip' in 2006 can be explained by the fact that he was supposed to ride the Tour but his team (Liberty Seguros) wasn't allowed to race due to Puerto

And then he hurt his knee days before the Vuelta and had to be removed from the startlist

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
...t here i go now: bilharzia and no,- or weak teams before his performance jumps.

hmmmm....

Foxxy, all the information on those charts indicates the other riders (except wiggo) developed each year, while Froome stayed at his actual level for five years them wham!

Wiggo is a special case, marginal gains :rolleyes: PLUS he, unlike Froome, happens to have a result or two:eek: in another discipline ;) (as does Evans BTW, being a multiple world cup mountain biker - which of course you know but refrain from mentioning for his so called "late development")

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
No that "hounour" goes to Pharmstrong, AC and Wiggins. Froome isn´t even close.

As much as I "love" Wiggins, I have to admit he is more credible than Froome. At least, years ago, Wiggins was word-class at something, while Froome...

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
sittingbison said:
hmmmm....

Foxxy, all the information on those charts indicates the other riders (except wiggo) developed each year, while Froome stayed at his actual level for five years them wham!

Wiggo is a special case, marginal gains :rolleyes: PLUS he, unlike Froome, happens to have a result or two:eek: in another discipline ;) (as does Evans BTW, being a multiple world cup mountain biker - which of course you know but refrain from mentioning for his so called "late development")

Yes, but when i came up with that 5 year stats and compared it to the others, posters accused me of doing the wrong numbers, so i did them a favour and was going with their stipulated 2/3 year stats. No matter how we look at it: Froome is no more suspicious than the mentioned riders.

Wiggins: Indeed special. Unseen before (outside of Armstrong) performance jumps at Garmin....
Another discipline? Well, i just wait for Degenkolb becoming a at least T-20 GT-Rider. ;)

Lanark said:
Contador had pretty much a steady line going upwarts from a very young age, only hampered by health and team problems. Completely, and I mean completely uncomparable to Froome.

He is a fraud. Hardcore doping-hunter unless it isnt his own rider. A huge slime ball given that he acts like he is against doping while on the other hand...Didn´t you paid attention?

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Remember with your Wiggins Vs Froome progression that Wiggo was a refined, almost manufactured, product of British cycling. Whereas Froome seemed was more a raw talent brought in, not really knowing how to use his power to full effect or blowing up even in late 2010.

Skys Bobby Ullich said as much, knew he had a good engine but it needed refining to get the results consistently. I buy it. We're all entitled to our own opinions but I think he's clean, as is Wiggo.

TRENDING THREADS