• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Froome vs Quintana vs Contador

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
BlurryVII said:
Son of Amsterhammer said:
The only way Bertie is winning this is if the other two pay so much attention to each other, that they just flat out underestimate him and give him a big chunk of time that he can hold on to.

Wow, I mean I know AC is strongly underrated, but you've reached a whole new level.

Obviously, it won't ever happen. All that nonsense about long range attacks, underestimating etc. - we all know that it is decided on the last climb and the two ITTs, most w/kg wins. Its really simple and most of us know that.

I don't think he is strongly underrated, nor do I think he is underrated. But I guess thats a question of perspective.

He's underrated by most here as long as the Tour is concerned because of the past few years no matter what the circumstances were. A sign of this is the idea that Contador fans are deluded lol.

Yeah, most w/kg on the last climb will win as usual .

The way I see it, there are 2 unknowns that can surpass Froome, granted ofc that he will get his preperation right as usual cause honestly, he's always been the only one in Top form on the first MTF, literally the only one hence the huge gaps.

Has Quintana improved further compared to 13' and 15', in which case he'd be the favourite to win and in what kind of shape will be Contador? If he's peak / Tour 14' level, to me he's gonna win but that is just so unlikely that I don't really believe in it anymore.

BlurryVII said:
Valv.Piti said:
BlurryVII said:
Son of Amsterhammer said:
The only way Bertie is winning this is if the other two pay so much attention to each other, that they just flat out underestimate him and give him a big chunk of time that he can hold on to.

Wow, I mean I know AC is strongly underrated, but you've reached a whole new level.

Obviously, it won't ever happen. All that nonsense about long range attacks, underestimating etc. - we all know that it is decided on the last climb and the two ITTs, most w/kg wins. Its really simple and most of us know that.

I don't think he is strongly underrated, nor do I think he is underrated. But I guess thats a question of perspective.

He's underrated by most here as long as the Tour is concerned because of the past few years no matter what the circumstances were. A sign of this is the idea that Contador fans are deluded lol.

Yeah, most w/kg on the last climb will win as usual .

The way I see it, there are 2 unknowns that can surpass Froome, granted ofc that he will get his preperation right as usual cause honestly, he's always been the only one in Top form on the first MTF, literally the only one hence the huge gaps.

Has Quintana improved further compared to 13' and 15', in which case he'd be the favourite to win and in what kind of shape will be Contador? If he's peak / Tour 14' level, to me he's gonna win but that is just so unlikely that I don't really believe in it anymore.

As the Tour is concerned, surely he is by some. But you can say that about every rider. He is also overrated by some which makes up for it IMO.

The Pyrénées are great for Contador, but especially Quintana compared to Froome. Its not a huge deal, but considering Froome has sealed the Tour on the first MTF two times, its pretty significant

And yes, despite me being a Quintana-fan, I think its pretty obvious he has improved. Which also would be normal considering he is just 26 now. His spring has been at least one level above that of '15 and he has improved his TT steadily over the years. On this route, i think he is the favourite - its literally perfect.

blurryVII said:
how is that possible? afaik you strongly disliked the way froome and quintana were doing last year's tour and promised contador would show them how grand tours should be ridden in 2016.

I mean I know AC is strongly underrated, but you've reached a whole new level.

you constantly complaining about ac being strongly underrated and nairito, nibali, froome - strongly overrated is priceless. :eek:

I'm still in dubio. We kinda know what to expect from Froome, the only unkowns are how he's tt'ing and how he'll pull through in the third week. As for Quintana, he's been more consistent, has been tt'ing better, but it remains to be seen if he can improve his peak climbing. If he does he's the favourite. But a better spring or different build up doesn't necessarily mean a better form in July. Also, career trajectory isn't a given. He barely improved in the high mountains from 2013 to 2015 and his power outputs over those years have been quite consistent. Otoh, I do think we can be pretty sure he'll be stronger in the pyrenees compared to last year. As for Contador, I think it's hard to assess where he'll be. He looks slightly less good then in 2014, or at least less consistent, but in that year he did have worse competition in the spring stage races. Dauphine's are hard to compare because of the Froome crash back then, and because secundary contenders have gotten a little closer as well.

But then, the different GCN guys predicted them all to win at once, and they never seem to get it right, so there's obviously a chance Bauke Mollema or something else is riding away with this one

I've not seen any indications that Contador is at 2014-level. Lanciano, the way he distanced Valverde in Pais Vasco, but prolly the best climbing display on the stage to Courchevel where he lost the jersey to Talansky. He was simply scary, extremely lean and had fire in his eyes.

Compare it to this year: disappointing on the big MTFs in Catalunya + PN, very good in Aibar and mediocre in Dauphine. He has looked very good in the hilly/mountanious TT's this year, but on a regular MTFs on road stages, he will have his work cut out against Froome and Quintana if the year of 2016 is anything to go by (which it is when talking about Contador).

Re:

Red Rick said:
I'm still in dubio. We kinda know what to expect from Froome, the only unkowns are how he's tt'ing and how he'll pull through in the third week. As for Quintana, he's been more consistent, has been tt'ing better, but it remains to be seen if he can improve his peak climbing. If he does he's the favourite.
quite an interesting loop of thought. contador and froome appear to be able to improve their peak climbing compared to 2015 as well. :p

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Out of the 3, I think Contador is the under dog. Froome will certainly dominated, especially if in the first mountain no one can't match his burst (well, so far no one has able to follow him when he unleashes his after burner on the first mountain. Dauphine is just a glimpse of what to come). Quintana, is on the rise. So I think he is the man who will beat Froome. The only thing is, Quintana to me, is always too calculated and I don't see him like taking risk. (maybe I'm wrong). Contador has been yo-yoing when it comes to TDF. The only glimpse of his stellar form was in 2014 TDF, but before we actually see it, he crashed out. I thought that year was the year that he had a great chance to win it after Froome crashed out. (no disrespect to Nibali)

Jan 25, 2016
Visit site

MovistarRider said:
SevenTimeTdfChamp said:
I dont think quintana has any chance of winning the tour. He isnt a better climber than froome and contador. He is worse at TT. Isnt as tactical gifted as contador, isnt as good as useing his watt meter as froome . So i dont se his advantaged

LoL

I stopped reading when you came up with that he isn't a better climber than them.

Guess you should have read my post :D