• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Froome vs wiggins: hinault vs lemond?

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Having witnessed the vuelta and now the first stage mountain stage of the tour are we seeing a new hinault vs lemond situation?

Wiggins is strong but evans may get a jump somewhere. Does froome stay with wiggins or does he follow?

To be fair to the sky set-up one can imagine that it is promised that given wiggens's age froome may be told to work this year( and next?) for the team leader. From 2014,the team rides for froome?

For those dissing the sky supporters, you have to remember that a british rider in yellow after the 1st mountain stage is beyond belief. As a young amateur rider in my past we brits always looked for robert millar, boardman etc but we always kmew that we as brits were outside the real game. You can dis sky, you can dis the supporters but screw you. Kids in the uk will be reading the press and watching tv and seeing a british guy riding with the best. On the limit, making other great riders suffer. If this isn't what cycling is about then what is?

There is still a long way to go. Anything can happen.

I am 45 now. I no longer race. But for sky to win the tour with wiggans will be a massive step forward for british and world cycling just like it was with lemond I don't want to remember the days in the uk with very limited tv coverage and no british riders. Sure it is all about the best man. Sure nationality doesn't matter really if you are a cyclist but the reality is that a british cyclist doing well innthe tour brings in sponsors who bring in more teams who bring riders etc. What is not to like?

gooner said:
I woud like to see it no doubt, but the shackles will be placed firmly on Froome today. It's just a pity what happenned on stage 3 with Froome. It would of be an interesting dilemma for them to deal with if that did'nt happen.

Yeh I'm talking ****, but one has to hope!

Wiggins should still account for Froome in the TT, that will put the matter to rest, sadly.

May 31, 2011
Visit site
As a team manager, I would have made sure I'd have seen my 2 stars Froome and Wiggins in the 'mountains' and the time trial and then make the decision, which can be adjusted at any necessary moment. That way, Froome could possibly have won the Vuelta and hereby you prevent coming 2nd and 3rd again or anything simular.

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Froome likely getting toasted tonight for success with a sharp "But, don't do it again" sternly lectured down. Seriously, Froome should've attacked earlier and gapped more seconds on Wiggins.

messycolin said:
For those dissing the sky supporters, you have to remember that a british rider in yellow after the 1st mountain stage is beyond belief. As a young amateur rider in my past we brits always looked for robert millar, boardman etc but we always kmew that we as brits were outside the real game. You can dis sky, you can dis the supporters but screw you. Kids in the uk will be reading the press and watching tv and seeing a british guy riding with the best. On the limit, making other great riders suffer. If this isn't what cycling is about then what is?

I am 45 now. I no longer race. But for sky to win the tour with wiggans will be a massive step forward for british and world cycling just like it was with lemond I don't want to remember the days in the uk with very limited tv coverage and no british riders. Sure it is all about the best man. Sure nationality doesn't matter really if you are a cyclist but the reality is that a british cyclist doing well innthe tour brings in sponsors who bring in more teams who bring riders etc. What is not to like?

Time will tell. ;)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Brailsfor was on record about 4 years back on Froome's numbers.

He saw him as key for a GT tilt in July on the back of that.

problem as I see it. Wiggins is British, and won numerous gold, and been in the system at British Cycling for close to 20 years. Built ALOT of political support I imagine.

Froome is Kenyan with a passport. He is fighting against the entrenched clique. Goodluck.

He has the legs but

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Cool story. Or maybe Froome will just do the job he has been given by his employer.

And I'm quite sure Froome isn't getting dressed down for his race today. He deserved it for all the work he did.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
simo1733 said:
How about Visentini/Roche instead

The basic difference is current professionalism. Visentini had and internal cabal that actually rode against Roche who had a sudden burst of incredible...form...all year...ahem, Claudio-who was the guy we saw about the stuff?
Anyway; they will ride to place Evans and others in difficulty but may have less success in another week so it's too early to tell. It's one thing when you have 4 domestiques in a mountain stage and quite another when you have one. Cadel has made do with none before.

May 16, 2010
Visit site
messycolin said:
I am 45 now. I no longer race.

Why ever not?

The largest group of racers here is the 45-50 age group.

And most of us cannot keep up with the 60-65 age group!

The winner of most races is 64 and recovering from major heart surgery!

Get those bike-clips our Colin!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
messycolin said:
Having witnessed the vuelta and now the first stage mountain stage of the tour are we seeing a new hinault vs lemond situation?

Wiggins is strong but evans may get a jump somewhere. Does froome stay with wiggins or does he follow?

To be fair to the sky set-up one can imagine that it is promised that given wiggens's age froome may be told to work this year( and next?) for the team leader. From 2014,the team rides for froome?

it is phenomenal.

And there is a generation coming too.

Brailsford built this, on the back of a strong track program, that could leverage resources and exploit the relative dearth of talent on the international circuit, because the money is not there, especially for Eastern bloc. The sprint program is a little more complicated, but it is skewed to countries that have more resources available.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Trunnions said:
Why ever not?

The largest group of racers here is the 45-50 age group.

And most of us cannot keep up with the 60-65 age group!

The winner of most races is 64 and recovering from major heart surgery!

Get those bike-clips our Colin!

2 year old kid makes getting out on bike as often as i like difficult. And i lost a previous girlfriend from too many kilometres. But i just lie to myself that i love my family more than my bike now:)

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
mombus said:
yeah, good idea - compare Bradley fcking Wiggins to Greg Lemond

They're not comparing it like that :rolleyes:

They're comparing the scenario that arised between Hinault vs Lemond nothing between their abilities...