• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Froome's TdF chances: better or worse without Wiggins?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Froome's TdF chances: better or worse without Wiggins?

• It's all a bluff: Wiggins will ride anyway

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Slightly better, because there was some chance that Wiggins might take yellow after the first ITT, and then Froome might not be allowed to attack his team-mate in yellow on the next mountain stage - or at least have to wait for someone else to light the fuse.

But I think the overall outcome won't be that different.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Slightly worse. all attention on him with one less Sky rider to take the Jersey early stages. If you feel Froome would benefit for Wiggo holding the Jersey a day or two first week?

I don't know much about Froome's head as in if he can handle the exposure and attention of the media as sole leader every day. Fewer distractions IMHO with Wiggo in the group than with him out.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Ride to forget said:
Slightly better, because there was some chance that Wiggins might take yellow after the first ITT, and then Froome might not be allowed to attack his team-mate in yellow on the next mountain stage - or at least have to wait for someone else to light the fuse.

But I think the overall outcome won't be that different.

Wiggo taking Jersey early was part of Brainsfords plan I thought?

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Boeing said:
Wiggo taking Jersey early was part of Brainsfords plan I thought?

Who knows if Brailsford really had a plan - but in my opinion Wiggins taking the jersey could only serve to hamper Froome. Would Froome have had the balls to attack against possible team orders a la Contador on Arcalis in 2009?

(And yes, I know Contador didn't attack with his "team-mate" in yellow, but it was only a fraction of a second from being the case)

Ultimately, I think Wiggins would have dropped straight out of yellow on the first mountain stage (if he ever took it in the first place), and it would have made little difference. But it could have unsettled Froome, or even caused him to mis-time a pre-emptive attack on Ax 3 Domaines ahead of the ITT.

Obviously, we'll never know now.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
well at least for me, wiggins ducks the bullet again. Either it's coincidence, on purpose or mother nature's plan or the singing french fat lady's curse...:p I've been waiting to see a proper battle between wiggins vs froome vs contador. Now we won't see it. :mad::mad:. all year long (except oman), he's been taking different race. So the debate about wiggins is great at this and that will continue for another year .. I guess.

As far as froome, I think slightly better. At least no distraction over leadership. sky might not be dominating in TTT without wiggins, but Froome probably prefers tranquilo :p I'm pretty sure if sir wiggo lining up, it'll be another amstrong vs contador all over again.

who's going to smile ear to ear without wiggins presence now? '.. lil' richie..

May 30, 2013
Visit site
Wiggins got off pretty easy last year without Contidor or Andy Shleck in the field. When your top competitor is evens you have a pretty dang easy time.

IndianCyclist said:
Only a slight difference as it is known that Froome is a better climber & descender:D than Wiggins. Froome will now have the mental peace to focus on his main rivals than look over his shoulder if anybody is backstabbing him.

Better for him mentally but Wiggins engine would have come in handy in the TTT and also as another quality domestique but only at peak fitness. It's worked better for the team this way. Less than 100% fit Wiggo plus leadership babble was not going to help. No excuses now for Froome and if he does not win it could get interesting at team Sky and in the forums.

May 4, 2013
Visit site
PasqualeMendoza said:
So you don't think Contador would have had an easier time if Armstrong wasn't there and he'd had a whole team riding for him?

Interesting question. Contador did quite well I thought turning the negative situation into taking the trophy! :D

Sutton

Sutton weighs in:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013...-more-of-a-tour-threat-without-wiggins_289341

British Cycling head coach Shane Sutton claims Bradley Wiggins’ absence from the Tour de France will prove a major boost to Chris Froome’s hopes of winning the race.

EDIT:
quote:“Froome goes in as red-hot favorite to win the Tour and possibly the only guy that could have beaten him would have been Bradley.”

Geez these guys think quite highly of themselves LOL!!!! I can think of a few guys that would cream Wiggo on this years parcours...

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Carols said:
Sutton weighs in:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013...-more-of-a-tour-threat-without-wiggins_289341

British Cycling head coach Shane Sutton claims Bradley Wiggins’ absence from the Tour de France will prove a major boost to Chris Froome’s hopes of winning the race.

EDIT:
quote:“Froome goes in as red-hot favorite to win the Tour and possibly the only guy that could have beaten him would have been Bradley.”

Geez these guys think quite highly of themselves LOL!!!! I can think of a few guys that would cream Wiggo on this years parcours...

God, someone needs to crush them.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Carols said:
Sutton weighs in:

EDIT:

Whoa,this guy is seriously ****ed up in the head:D

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
Whoa,this guy is seriously ****ed up in the head:D

Shane Sutton hype and head games, I think there are some serious contenders out there this year, how many races has the Sky A team showed up to and come away empty handed, the other teams are on to their tactics and counter accordingly, the Giro was a prime example. Keep balloning the guy up and hope it gets into the opponents head, but expect collusion inside the Spanish and Italian teams, ain't no way Froome is going to get on the top step...

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Carols said:
Sutton weighs in:

EDIT:

And some wonder why not everyone love Sky :rolleyes:

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Wiggins would help Froome

I think wiggins would have done a great TDF, but if it was needed he would work for Froome. No questioons asked. Allthough he might had a chance, i dont thinks Sky would let him go for it.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
denjo17 said:
I think wiggins would have done a great TDF, but if it was needed he would work for Froome. No questioons asked. Allthough he might had a chance, i dont thinks Sky would let him go for it.

Thats the difference between Froome and Wiggins. Wiggins chance would be the TTs and they werent gonna tell him to hold back in the TTs