• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Fumiyuki Beppu

Will he ever win a European Race?

• I don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
He is one of the few consistent Japanese riders in the peloton and has ridden for quite a few top teams. He says his dream is to win a stage of the tdf but at age 29 he hasn't even won one race in europe. So my question is do you think fumi beppu will ever cross the finish line first on the European continent??

The teams that he has been on in the past did not leave him with a lot of opportunity. With GreenEdge or a team that is looking for stage wins he has a better chance than teams that had designs on the GC of GTs. He may have five or six years left. If doping continues to lessen then he has a decent shot at winning something.

AFAIK he has a decent sprint on him so winning a flattish stage in a smaller stage race where he can ride for himself is possible.

The Hitch said:
Just a stage? I've seen worse riders than him transform into tdf overall.champions, at around that age.
Yep should hook up with Allen Lim to get a new recipe for sushi or take up swimming lessons.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
killswitch said:
AFAIK he has a decent sprint on him so winning a flattish stage in a smaller stage race where he can ride for himself is possible.

Yep should hook up with Allen Lim to get a new recipe for sushi or take up swimming lessons.

No need to do any actual swimming, just having a swimming coach is sufficient.

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
He has to target the right kind of races, and be given the opportunity to lead. Probably wont happen though, he's not great on climbs and doesn't have a fast finish. Arashiro has a much better punch at the line.

Greenedge are talking about using Beppu for hilly one day races and intermediate stages in GT's and week long races, similar to Gerrans and Clarke. They don't see him as suited to the classics role he has ad in the past so maybe we will start seeing results next year.

Does a team trial count :)....could be a good chance there with GE going well in those.

I have been watching his results this year and as mentioned earlier he isn't in the top 16 so may struggle to get a start in any of the big races. OGE have certainly given riders license to race themselves if the opportunity arises and I have seen him slip into the top 30 a few times but haven't seen him loom up to steal a win....guys like Impey have taken those opportunities and probably risen above him in the order of merit.

Not sure if he dropped out of the TTT group in this Eneco tour due to the speed of the bigs boys like Tuft, Durbridge and Mouris or maybe he put in a couple of big turns along with Howard to get them on their way.

After writing that reply I thought I would go back through the results at the Giro this year where he got some excellent opportunities, especially later in the race when Goss, Lancaster and Vaitkus had left the race. Impey may have gone too in the latter stages.

He did get a 9th place in Stage 3 which was a sprint stage that Goss won and a few big names hit the bitumen. To get that you would think he was the final lead out but I am sure that Lancaster or Impey lead Goss out and Beppu was just following up after his earlier ride (probably as part of the train) protecting Goss. Later in the race in the final sprint stage he managed a 13th place when most of the top sprinters had led the race. I think this was certainly a stage that he was given full license to do what he could. He didn't seem to have any strong results in the hillier stages of that race.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Ferminal said:
At the 2011 Giro?

He reported that sentence around January when every media was realizing that Greenedge could focus only on sprints or minor classics and not having any GF/climber guy.

He'd need to be in a team like Euskaltel/Movistar, where he could have his own chances in minor races.

Michele said:
He reported that sentence around January when every media was realizing that Greenedge could focus only on sprints or minor classics and not having any GF/climber guy.

He'd need to be in a team like Euskaltel/Movistar, where he could have his own chances in minor races.

Ok my bad! I thought he said something along those lines early-2011 too.

TRENDING THREADS