• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Future GT Winner (Edition 2018)

Who will win a Grand Tour?

• Egan Bernal

Votes: 87 83.7%
  • Enric Mas

Votes: 70 67.3%
  • Miguel Ángel López

Votes: 44 42.3%
  • Mikel Landa

Votes: 10 9.6%
  • Primož Roglič

Votes: 69 66.3%
  • Richard Carapaz

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Richie Porte

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Romain Bardet

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Thibaut Pinot

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Steven Kruijswijk

Votes: 8 7.7%

• Total voters
For the sixth consecutive year I'm conducting a poll on the question, "Who will win a Grand Tour in the future?" Last year Mikel Landa won the poll for the second time. I'm furious with myself for not including Geraint Thomas and Simon Yates last year. Thomas had never finished inside a top 10, and Yates just fell off in spite of his seventh place in the Tour. I still look forward to this year's results, because a handful of talented young riders have emerged on the scene. Here are the previous winners:

2012 Christopher Froome (won Tour 2013)
2013 Nairo Quintana (won Giro 2014)
2014 Fabio Aru (won Vuelta 2015)
2015 Mikel Landa
2016 Esteban Chaves
2017 Mikel Landa
2018 ???

You have more than one vote. Vote for anyone you expect to win a GT at some point in his career. If you have riders in mind who aren't in the poll you can mention them in the forum.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
For me, in this order

Roglic (has TT to back it up)
Mas (I mean cmon..)
Lopez (2x podium)
Bernal (youngest and still not certain if he is high enough in Sky order)
I agree, but I'd switch the order a bit (Bernal, Mas, Lopez, Roglic).

I also voted Landa. I wouldn't say I expect him to win a GT (same for Roglic, really), but he has the skillset if everything falls into place.

Bernal is the only one I can see winning a GT emphatically, like Contador, Froome or Armstrong, if he has the expected progression left in him.

I voted for Bernal, Mas, and Roglic. After seeing what Simon could do this year (and with Adam having been considered the better GC rider of the two in the past), I would also vote for Adam Yates.

While both Lopez and Carapaz could get close, I think they either need to improve their TT or get lucky with a suitable course to win.

Levi Leipheimer is more likely to still win a grand tour than Porte! :eek:

Roglic actually might be too centered around the Tour de France. If Jumbo sends him & Kruijswijk with full forces to the Giro d'Italia though, he's no.1 favorite!

Bernal probably gets team leadership or at least co-leadership at the Giro in which case he's a good candidate.

Landa's chances just increased with Quintana doing the Tour again, which opens the door for being co-leader with Valverde in Italy.

Mas might stand a chance in a somewhat slimmer Vuelta field regarding fresh riders. He's been second this year and carries around a more than decent TT after all.

Kruijswijk remains a dark horse as the Giro d'Italia really favors his capabilities.

I voted before reading, and was a bit amazed by the outcome being basically what everybody else voted. Bernal, Mas, Lopez, Roglic. I can't see Lopez ever winning a TDF, but i can see him winning a Vuelta. Roglic and Mas certainly have the ability to win a Vuelta or a Giro, maybe a TDF if everything goes according to plan and if they can improve. Bernal is the only one on the list i think really can win a TDF. But i thought the same of Quintana 5 years ago.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Levi Leipheimer is more likely to still win a grand tour than Porte! :eek:

Roglic actually might be too centered around the Tour de France. If Jumbo sends him & Kruijswijk with full forces to the Giro d'Italia though, he's no.1 favorite!

Bernal probably gets team leadership or at least co-leadership at the Giro in which case he's a good candidate.

Landa's chances just increased with Quintana doing the Tour again, which opens the door for being co-leader with Valverde in Italy.

Mas might stand a chance in a somewhat slimmer Vuelta field regarding fresh riders. He's been second this year and carries around a more than decent TT after all.

Kruijswijk remains a dark horse as the Giro d'Italia really favors his capabilities.
Regarding Roglic, this is my concern as well. However, he's much younger than Froome and Thomas and then there's only, currently at least, Dumoulin who's a better time trialist than him.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Went for Mas, Lopez, Roglic. Should have included Bernal. Gave Kruijswijk some thought, but I think he will be close. I know he was one lapse of attention or whatever from winning a Giro, but I think that was his moment. I guess he is a lesser version of Dumoulin.

Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
Pantani_lives said:
RedheadDane said:
You're… pretty optimistic for still including Porte. :p
I know, but only this year many people counted him among the top favorites for the Tour and the Vuelta. If I didn't include him he would obviously win one next year. It's jinxed. :eek:

So, you don't want him to win?
I'm just trying to avoid leaving a big name out who then goes on to win just to annoy me.

For the current ones that I believe can win a GT for the first time would be Mas, Bernal, MAL, Krushweak, Pinot, Chaves, and Adam.

Some of those need the stars to align.

For next year the only ones I believe could win are Krushweak, Pinot, Chaves, and Adam.

I know he TTs poorly, but I don't think Iván Sosa will go through his career without winning a Grand Tour.

He was comfortably beating Supermán in Burgos, and even if he didn't peak for that race, he probably was not much below his Vuelta form.

And it's not like it's impossible to overcome one's shortcomings in the time trial if one chooses to focus on improving it.

It would also surprise me if Tadej Pogacar doesn't go on to win a Grand Tour some time.