• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Future GT Winner

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win a GT?

• None of the above

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
The 2015 Giro looks really open. I think Nibali is the only one who would maybe ride it of the "big 4".

In some ways winning a GT is really hard. You travel several thousand km's and go up big mountains for three weeks. Yet despite this Cobo and Horner have both recently won GT's. If luck goes your way then you can definitely win one. I just hope the French riders aren't too focused on Le Tour.

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
In 2012 44.8% of people thought Van Garderen would win a GT. Now that is only 8% and he is still only 26. Thibault Pinot also got 46% in that year and despite coming 3rd in the tour his support has almost halved. It's not easy to predict these.

JRTK73 said:
In 2012 44.8% of people thought Van Garderen would win a GT. Now that is only 8% and he is still only 26. Thibault Pinot also got 46% in that year and despite coming 3rd in the tour his support has almost halved. It's not easy to predict these.

great point! It is always about last race. Nobody now remembers Pinot's performance because Aru's is fresher (although he still finished GC quite a bit behind Valverde and Rodriguez, not just AC and CF.....).

And I voted those two mentioned + Majka. The last one partially because of national pride, but I think it is very possible, especially since he actually attacks now after he has learned how to win, and I also share the feeling that he was 2nd/3rd (between him and Pinot) strongest climber in Tour. And I know he was riding himself in shape in first 2 weeks, but that was because he found out he will ride a race a week before it started for god's sake. Also, almost entire 3rd week he was in a breakaway or with GC guys dropping them like flies (except for Nibali of course). The only worry I have is that he might target Tour starting in 2016. He fell in love with this race (gradual climbs and weather)

Funny that the most realistic Spanish future GT winner is as young as Purito, with nobody in the 20s with real shot. No matter how silly his rivalry with Contador and Valverde lately, it might be a sight that Spain will miss for a long time. Anything can happen though, even Cobo won GT, but regularity is about to end for the first time after several decades.

damian13ster said:
And I voted those two mentioned + Majka. The last one partially because of national pride, but I think it is very possible, especially since he actually attacks now after he has learned how to win, and I also share the feeling that he was 2nd/3rd (between him and Pinot) strongest climber in Tour. And I know he was riding himself in shape in first 2 weeks, but that was because he found out he will ride a race a week before it started for god's sake. Also, almost entire 3rd week he was in a breakaway or with GC guys dropping them like flies (except for Nibali of course). The only worry I have is that he might target Tour starting in 2016. He fell in love with this race (gradual climbs and weather)
But performing 3 weeks under pressure is something that you cannot compare to being a wildcard in a Tour where no-one really expects something of you. He was impressive in that final part of the Tour, but I think it's not really valid to extrapolate that.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
none of those will probably ever win a gt

You are saying that the probability at least one of them wins a GT is less than 50%? That you would be willing to back none of them winning at even odds? :eek:

Surprised that Majka has more votes than Pinot. Uran I definetely think will win a GT and Talansky's Dauphinie performance was very impressive so i picked him, along with Aru.

And i'll also add Rolland- he impressed me a lot at this Giro and if he goes again next year I think he has a real chance- and Gesink, who I think can bounce back. These go along with the Kelderman picks everyone else has raised.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
You are saying that the probability at least one of them wins a GT is less than 50%? That you would be willing to back none of them winning at even odds? :eek:

Claims like Ryo's might be worth remembering in five years. Just like the one where he said Nibali wouldn't win another GT after his Vuelta victory.

grizzlee said:
Pinot finished 3rd in a very reduced and not very high quality field, Im not taking anything away from his result it was really great and he deserved it.

Majka got sick at end of Giro, he was fighting for a podium up untill then. Majkas Giro form would have podiumed in the tour this year at the expence of pinot in my opinion.

But he dropped Nibali-even if it was very shortly.

greenedge said:
Surprised that Majka has more votes than Pinot. Uran I definetely think will win a GT and Talansky's Dauphinie performance was very impressive so i picked him, along with Aru.

And i'll also add Rolland- he impressed me a lot at this Giro and if he goes again next year I think he has a real chance- and Gesink, who I think can bounce back. These go along with the Kelderman picks everyone else has raised.

That is because Majka has proven himself to be a winner. He has that instinct that Pinot is missing. He's also a more complete rider

Cance > TheRest said:
That is because Majka has proven himself to be a winner. He has that instinct that Pinot is missing. He's also a more complete rider
That's not a fair comparison as Majka wouldn't have gotten any leeway in the Tour had he been a GC threat like Pinot. Pinot won a TdF stage in 2012, when he was just 22 years old.

Cance > TheRest said:

Yeah, with the incredible amount of 4 professional wins :rolleyes: all of them this year, his 4th year as a pro. Pinot was already winning races when nobody ever heard of Majka, despite being a year younger.

SeriousSam said:

That's not what he said. There is a difference between none of those will probably ever win a gt and probably none of those will ever win a gt.

His contention was that there is no-one on that list with a >50% chance of finishing their career with a GT title.

If he thought that all 9 of them were 49% likely, his comment would still be true but he would need odds of about 500/1 on none of them ever winning one.

Pentacycle said:
Claims like Ryo's might be worth remembering in five years. Just like the one where he said Nibali wouldn't win another GT after his Vuelta victory.
He's just a bookie.

Cance > TheRest said:
Agree...I think Bardet has more chance of winning a GT, if anything.

Jagartrott said:
But performing 3 weeks under pressure is something that you cannot compare to being a wildcard in a Tour where no-one really expects something of you. He was impressive in that final part of the Tour, but I think it's not really valid to extrapolate that.

I agree. To rate him among the best climbers when he rarely went head to head against the primary gc contenders isn't a fair assessment.

Sep 17, 2014
Visit site
Majka because he is on a team capable of miracles. Still can't make sense of his Tour performance. Without training and not wanting to ride it in the beginning he ended up being stronger than at the Giro where he had prepared so hard.