• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Future riders to win a monument?

Who will win a monument in the future?

• Edvald Boasson Hagen

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Greg Van Avermaet

Votes: 27 35.1%
  • Ian Stannard

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • Julian Alaphilippe

Votes: 54 70.1%
  • Luke Rowe

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • Michael Matthews

Votes: 25 32.5%
  • Nacer Bouhanni

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • Rui Costa

Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Sep Vanmarcke

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • Zdenek Stybar

Votes: 11 14.3%

• Total voters
It has become hard to predict the winners of monuments. Who would have thought Démare, Hayman and Poels would win one this year? Only Sagan was to be expected. Let's see which riders are most likely to win one of the five monuments in the future according to this forum. Feel free to mention other riders that aren't included in the poll. You can vote for as many riders as you want.

I feel a lot of the riders in the poll will be surpassed by younger, upcoming riders before they win a monument. I'm thinking of guys like GVA, Stybar, Stannard, EBH. Maybe also Vanmarcke, who probably won't get such a good chance as this year of winning Roubaix for quite some time. I don't see Costa ever getting a monument.

Alaphilippe and Gaviria should definitely win a monument before too long though. I can see Sagan and Degenkolb and possibly Gaviria (at least for the Primavera) winning a lot of MSRs, Rondes and Roubaixs between themselves for some years to come.

Moscon would be another good bet.

Alaphilippe for LBL and Gaviria for MSR seems to be sure bets.

Any one of GVA, Vanmarcke or Stybar should be in with a good chance at Ronde if Sagan fails.

Matthews only chance lays in MSR. Same for Bonifazio.

Out of the young generation Benoot. Moscon & Mads Pederson look impressive for the cobbled classics.

There really is so many names.

GVA, Alaphilippe, Matthews...these guys I could see winning one very soon, but of course anyone from your list could win one as soon as next year.

Riders not on the list; Gaviria will win MSR before Benoot wins Flanders imo. Of course there's other names, but these two stand out for me.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I guess we all agree Alaphilippe is the most likely one, thanks in part to his young age and because it seems likely he can really fight for victory at LBL for years to come.

GVA could win PR and Flanders, although he will likely never be outright favourite for either race. Same for Vanmarcke, who has the added bonus of being a bit younger.

What's the case for Matthews? MSR? LBL? Both less likely than either one of GVA or Vanmarcke winning PR or Flanders imo.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
I guess we all agree Alaphilippe is the most likely one, thanks in part to his young age and because it seems likely he can really fight for victory at LBL for years to come.

GVA could win PR and Flanders, although he will likely never be outright favourite for either race. Same for Vanmarcke, who has the added bonus of being a bit younger.

What's the case for Matthews? MSR? LBL? Both less likely than either one of GVA or Vanmarcke winning PR or Flanders imo.

MSR right now....he's fast and could continue to get better. He's also still developing - who knows maybe he'll become a better climber as well.

Funny thing is that at the moment I consider Coquard as one of the biggest talents in the peloton but he's not really suited for any monument. Perhaps MSR but I'm not sure how he handles the distance.

Same thing goes for Ewan actually although Coquard is way more versatile.

Rosa, Gaviria, Alaphilippe, Benoot, Moscon, Vanmarcke (if he gets that engine), GVA (surely) are the most likely probably IMO. Matthews is suited perfectly to Amstel, less so to MSR as unless Le Manie comes back then there will always be someone faster at the finish. Even if Le Manie comes back I expect the likes of future Gaviria and future Bonifazio to still be there unless there is a group of less than 10, in which case I don't expect Matthews to be there because it's Matthews and he expects to be towed to the line. Unless, of course, he changes his mind. His best chance if Le Manie and join an attack/attack himself.

TRENDING THREADS