• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Garmin to support whistleblowers?

Certainly reads that way, is more the sort of comment I would have also expected Dave Brailsford and Dave Millar to come out with but having heard some things about DB especially, he is going to be wanting the omerta to remain in place whilst he picks up his multi-million pound paycheck.

Aug 1, 2009
Visit site
"If something should come out concerning illegal activities in the past, those involved have nothing to fear"

But what if something comes out concerning illegal activities in the present?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Vande Velde supposedly needs alot of time a training to reach form. He breaks his hip last Giro, then rides high into the Tour classement. Year before he said he could have gone with Peipoli, Cobo, Schleck in stage 10. He said he could have bridged with Kohl too. First stage that Kim Kirchen won, he threw down a massive attack with another Saunier rider. He was right in the mix with all the CERA riders. Then the massive recovery from injury last year. I dont buy it. He and Millar were target tested in the first week of 2008 Tour. These guys are not clean. Weasel words.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
i want to see someone take on the blood passports...the idea the blood levels can stay constant after the abuse of 2/3 mountain stages, after 2 weeks of hard racing, does not make sense unless someone is doing something to keep it constant....which is what David Walsh, claims that someone like TylerH's body could not recuperate after 2/3 days hard racing in something like the TdF with out PED use....i bet teams stop publishing details of riders blood passports...

this to me is what will destroy the omerta that exists and make most of them think about it and say forget it, all this dodging testers, spending half the time as biologists/pharmacists/medics instead of training relaxing training relaxing racing relaxing training etc......i imagine most of them hate that aspect to pro racing

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I think it's sensible words from JV...for the riders to have the promise of support despite admission of "errors" in the past is a positive move for cycling. The riders will be more likely to break omerta, and will still have a career - and I for one would be happy to support them. I hope something comes of it.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i cant tell anyone how to read the statement but i think people are reading either too much or too little and completely ignore what's between the lines.

ffs, it's a public statement and these things rarely contain substance.

jv is *responding* because he cant afford to stay silent with his clean propaganda, he is *liberating* his riders to tell the truth because he cant say anything else in public, he sounds generous *promising* his riders their jobs because he knows it's the 100% bs outside of his control if usada slaps a suspension on any of his riders.

the only thing worth seeing in that pile of garbage is that the matter is serious enough to warrant a public statement.

be sure, there is ongoing coordination within the team of what is ok to say and what is not. you will not read it in nyt.

Aug 25, 2009
Visit site
python said:
i cant tell anyone how to read the statement but i think people are reading either too much or too little and completely ignore what's between the lines.

jv is *responding* because he cant afford to stay silent with his clean propaganda, he is *liberating* his riders to tell the truth because he cant say anything else in public, he sounds generous *promising* his riders their jobs because he knows it's the 100% bs outside of his control if usada slaps a suspension on any of his riders.

the only thing worth seeing in that pile of garbage is that the matter is serious enough to warrant a public statement.

be sure, there is ongoing coordination within the team of what is ok to say and what is not. you will not read it in nyt.

Cynic :D :eek:

Got to say I agree with you though.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
Vande Velde supposedly needs alot of time a training to reach form. He breaks his hip last Giro, then rides high into the Tour classement. Year before he said he could have gone with Peipoli, Cobo, Schleck in stage 10. He said he could have bridged with Kohl too. First stage that Kim Kirchen won, he threw down a massive attack with another Saunier rider. He was right in the mix with all the CERA riders. Then the massive recovery from injury last year. I dont buy it. He and Millar were target tested in the first week of 2008 Tour. These guys are not clean. Weasel words.
I don't recall that happening.

craig1985 said:
I don't recall that happening.

Does blackcat mean Ricco?

Kirchen won the TT (great CERA performance).

I seem to vaguely recall CVV putting down some sort of attack before the final ramp at Super Besse.

Edit: that was it.

Vande Velde of Team Garmin Chipotle launched his way up the classification with his attack at five kilometres out. He was joined by Riccò's main gun, Piepoli, for a move that lasted 3,800 metres. Vande Velde held on to finish 23 seconds back and is now fourth (at 44") on in the classification behind Schumacher.

"The attacked was planned," said Vande Velde, whose intentions were try to help team-mate Millar move into the yellow jersey. "My legs felt great, but with Piepoli I found myself a little out gunned." Millar lost time and now sits fifth overall, three seconds behind his team-mate Vande Velde.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/tour08/?id=results/tour086

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
When the Landis story first broke, Vaughters said that he believed his team was 100% clean, and he would post all their test results to prove it.

But then Don Catlin, who runs Garmin's internal testing, read and reacted to the details Floyd gave in the ESPN article, and now the world knows that with blood infusion and EPO micro dosing nice looking values don't prove anything. They might be taking a good long look at the values now.

Right now I think this is the best we can expect from a team, whether they want to believe the problem is current or in the past.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:
When the Landis story first broke, Vaughters said that he believed his team was 100% clean, and he would post all their test results to prove it.

But then Don Catlin, who runs Garmin's internal testing, read and reacted to the details Floyd gave in the ESPN article, and now the world knows that with blood infusion and EPO micro dosing nice looking values don't prove anything. They might be taking a good long look at the values now.

Right now I think this is the best we can expect from a team, whether they want to believe the problem is current or in the past.

yep it seems the micro-dosing and asheden's comments might have blown a hole in test results.....if this is the best we can expect from garmin, then it leaves a lot of quetions more than the press release answers...JV is not looking good right now...he does not appear to be on the clean side of cycling's fence...it still looks pretty empty over there

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Does blackcat mean Ricco?

Kirchen won the TT (great CERA performance).

I seem to vaguely recall CVV putting down some sort of attack before the final ramp at Super Besse.

Edit: that was it.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2008/tour08/?id=results/tour086
yep, got it round the wrong way. Think Kirchen put an attack in and came back to the field adnd Ricco beats him and Evans in the sprint, without pulling out the actual results.

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:

Yes, saying they will be forgiven is a good step towards the riders coming out :)

A

Anonymous

python said:

When I first read the statement, I thought that it sounded good, but also thought it sounded like a way to discredit Landis' accusations. I mean, he has opened the door to his riders to "come clean IF they have anything to come clean about." All they have to do now is say that they don't, and JV can say "See, like everyone said at the beginning (and our man Dave just said), there is nothing to these allegations except the anger and insanity of Floyd Landis." Case closed for them.

I hope that I am wrong, but somehow, I just don't think opening the box and exposing what is really inside (like Landis has done) is in the cards here. They are just kicking the can down the road now until something else comes along to divert everyone's attention. In the US (because the rest of the world's news agencies and groups like ASO have lost their voice about this), we have an ADD culture, and in another week when nothing really happens regarding this, we will move on to such deep topics as whether Lindsay Lohan is a real lesbian.

Lance appears to be pretty relaxed about all of this still. Maybe he is putting on a good show, or maybe he knows that there are way too many layers of denial for them to ever really get to him. Lets face it, the BALCO deal was busted, but cycling has many decades of omerta, and they seem to have perfected the art. Novitsky could be stonewalled at every turn. My gut tells me that all that will ever come of this in the end is a story of how an angry, humiliated doper slung poo at everyone, and none of it stuck...and his team went down in flames also. "Floyd the Destroyer" will be the byline.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
My gut tells me that all that will ever come of this in the end is a story of how an angry, humiliated doper slung poo at everyone, and none of it stuck...and his team went down in flames also. "Floyd the Destroyer" will be the byline.
you could be right tff but we are just at the beginning of the story. yeah the circumstantial evidence is plentiful but we need something more substantive - like new doped samples from armstrong (see another post), money trail, hearsay cross-referencing with documented facts…

i count on two things: novitzky’s success record in busting doping rings and floyd’s tenacity. yes, he is one hell of a perseverant dude as he came across during his trial . i don’t think he showed all his cards and he’s very seriously upset.

A

Anonymous

python said:
you could be right tff but we are just at the beginning of the story. yeah the circumstantial evidence is plentiful but we need something more substantive - like new doped samples from armstrong (see another post), money trail, hearsay cross-referencing with documented facts…

i count on two things: novitzky’s success record in busting doping rings and floyd’s tenacity. yes, he is one hell of a perseverant dude as he came across during his trial . i don’t think he showed all his cards and he’s very seriously upset.

Unfortunately, when you have people like Chad Gerlach coming out against you (Levi in this case), you have all the appearance of the Jim Rose Circus Sideshow.

As for Novitzky, like I said, the people involved with BALCO had about ten minutes of practice at denial and cover-up. Cycling is well practiced, and while some small fish could very well take a hit, the big ones seem to be laughing about all of this. I mean, The Hog laughed his way through explaining his nickname because he knows people are stupid enough to believe him.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Armstrong Evidence

How about last year's TDF? I recall at some point late in the race an issue reported about Armstrong's blood values dropping then, after the rest day, miraculously rising back to normal. The testers thought there was something going on but couldn't pinpoint it. Armstrong responded to the inquiry by twittering, "SSDD". I believe Mr. Floyd Landis' details on how it was done at US Postal may have shed some light on this mystery. SSDD indeed! Think about all of the GT's that JB's teams have won over the past ~12 years. Armstrong's seven TdF's, Contador's two TdF's, Heras' Vuelta, Contador's Giro, Savodelli's Giro. Please explain why Leipheimer podiumed at the Vuelta as a Postal rider, then went to Rabobank and Gerolsteiner and never came close to the podium in any GT. Then he comes back to JB's team and he becomes a GT favorite. Face facts, they found a way to cheat with minimal risk of being caught. The only way this was going to come out was if something like what happened to Floyd occured.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
yep, got it round the wrong way. Think Kirchen put an attack in and came back to the field adnd Ricco beats him and Evans in the sprint, without pulling out the actual results.

Kirchen? Kirchen who? Ohhh, you mean that Ferretti/T-Mobile guy who suddenly came into his own at Columbia, won some minor classics then wore yellow in the 2008 Tour then... mysteriously did nothing else ever again?

That Kirchen?

TRENDING THREADS