• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gas6?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This is much easier to understand:-

A new way to boost red blood cell numbers
A common treatment for anemia — a deficiency in red blood cells (rbcs) caused by their insufficient
production, excessive destruction, or excessive loss — is administration of recombinant
erythropoietin (Epo), a hormone that stimulates the production of rbc precursors by the bone
marrow.
Unfortunately, many patients with anemia do not respond to treatment with Epo. However, a new study in
mice, by Anne Angelillo-Scherrer and her colleagues at the University Hospital Center and University of
Lausanne, Switzerland, has indicated that the protein Gas6 might augment or replace Epo in the treatment
of patients who are hyporesponsive or resistant to Epo, respectively.
It was shown that following treatment with Epo, mouse rbc precursors released Gas6, which increased cell
signaling in response to Epo treatment. In addition, mice deficient in Gas6 had decreased sensitivity to Epo
and a reduced ability to recover from anemia. Administration of Gas6, either alone or in combination with
Epo, was successful at treating both chronic and acute anemia in mice.
The authors therefore concluded that Gas6 has a role in rbc formation and might have valuable therapeutic
potential for the treatment of individuals with anemia who fail to respond to treatment with Epo.
Source: Journal of Clinical Investigation
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study, research, no part
may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
"A new way to boost red blood cell numbers." Phys.org. 10 Jan 2008. http://phys.org/news119207350.html
Page 1/1

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2176185/

I concluded after trying to understand all that is that Gas6 boosts the body's response to EPO while levelling the haematocrit levels. Which means the blood passport wouldn't show any anomalies.

Now isn't this what Brailsford is now focussing on...The Blood Passport.

No! It returns hematocrit to normal in anemic patients. There is no indication that it increases RBC mass without increasing hct.

If it boosts the body's response to EPO in people who aren't deficient, one might suggest the combination of Gas6 and microdoses results in a bigger boost than just microdoses. But I don't really see the big advantage here. We know the main limiter of blood manipulation now is the ABP, not drug testing. Tyler and Levi hit 49% with microdoses + transfusions. Ashenden drove up Hb mass by a whooping 10% with dosing similar to the Ferrari microdosing program. Gas6 might be a significant advantage if EPO-testing has improved to the point that you can no longer get large gains from microdosing. But you could still transfuse a large amount of blood for a single targeted event like the TdF.

linking froomes RBC

Mercxx Index posted this in the Froome thread.

Following up on that thread, here is another possibility to explain Froome's ET performance:

Schistosomiasis (Bilharzia) is known to result in a reduction of Hb/red cells. The mechanisms are still not clear, but probably there are several factors involved. Any reduction in red cells would trigger a homeostatic response in the body to increase EPO. So if Froome suffers from the disease, his natural EPO levels are getting a boost while he is symptomatic.

He supposedly has received treatment for the disease too keep it in check. Following treatment, his EPO and red cell levels should eventually stabilize. But during this period there would likely be a lag, in which the flatworms (or more precisely, their eggs, which seem to release the factors that reduce red cells) would be eliminated, but his EPO would remain elevated. The situation is somewhat analogous to the reported use of carbon monoxide as a PED. CO inactivates Hb, resulting in a stimulation of EPO. Again, the effect is only temporary, but the idea is that while the effect is there, the athlete will get a boost.

Treatment for schistosomiasis involves a single treatment with praziquantel once a year. Since it must be given annually, I assume the drug does not completely eliminate the organism's eggs, but merely suppresses them to a very low level. Under these conditions, I can well imagine a situation in Froome's body in which he could get the benefit of continual EPO stimulation from low levels of the antigens produced by the eggs. I would be very interested to see what his passport looks like. Since he and Sky have been very open about the effect of the disease on red cells, they must have seen some very dramatic changes in their levels. It makes me wonder how they were able to define a baseline at all.

Soo.. Gas6 with nanodosing EPO would knockout Bilharzia yes?

*Leinders linked to development of this product, working extremely well together with epo, restoring/increasing hct.

*Froome suffers from Bilharzia, resulting in rbc deficiency and so on.

I mean.. come on. It fits like a pair of speedos in the olympic swimmingpool :eek:

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
Mercxx Index posted this in the Froome thread.

Following up on that thread, here is another possibility to explain Froome's ET performance:

Schistosomiasis (Bilharzia) is known to result in a reduction of Hb/red cells. The mechanisms are still not clear, but probably there are several factors involved. Any reduction in red cells would trigger a homeostatic response in the body to increase EPO. So if Froome suffers from the disease, his natural EPO levels are getting a boost while he is symptomatic.

He supposedly has received treatment for the disease too keep it in check. Following treatment, his EPO and red cell levels should eventually stabilize. But during this period there would likely be a lag, in which the flatworms (or more precisely, their eggs, which seem to release the factors that reduce red cells) would be eliminated, but his EPO would remain elevated. The situation is somewhat analogous to the reported use of carbon monoxide as a PED. CO inactivates Hb, resulting in a stimulation of EPO. Again, the effect is only temporary, but the idea is that while the effect is there, the athlete will get a boost.

Treatment for schistosomiasis involves a single treatment with praziquantel once a year. Since it must be given annually, I assume the drug does not completely eliminate the organism's eggs, but merely suppresses them to a very low level. Under these conditions, I can well imagine a situation in Froome's body in which he could get the benefit of continual EPO stimulation from low levels of the antigens produced by the eggs. I would be very interested to see what his passport looks like. Since he and Sky have been very open about the effect of the disease on red cells, they must have seen some very dramatic changes in their levels. It makes me wonder how they were able to define a baseline at all.

i do think this is the key, to fool the passport

May 26, 2011
Visit site
goggalor said:
Yeah am I missing something or was the "Leinders connection" just a misunderstanding?

My error on this, his name was in a pp presentation I posted earlier, wasn't sure of the connection as this was written in Dutch / Flemish...neither of which are my strong point.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
doperhopper said:
Vroom/Brailsford: we're not cheating (read: we're using new stuff that is not banned yet)

The WADA code is very deliberately constructed to cover a wide swath of possible doping methods and techniques. It's not simply a matter of discovering some product or method to use that "isn't on the list."

From the WADA code:

PROHIBITED METHODS
M1. MANIPULATION OF BLOOD AND BLOOD COMPONENTS

The following are prohibited:

1. The administration or reintroduction of any quantity of autologous, homologous or heterologous blood or red blood cell products of any origin into the circulatory system.

2. Artificially enhancing the uptake, transport or delivery of oxygen...

3. Any form of intravascular manipulation of the blood or blood components by physical or chemical means.

http://www.wada-ama.org/en/World-Anti-Doping-Program/Sports-and-Anti-Doping-Organizations/International-Standards/Prohibited-List/

New stuff or old stuff. The code covers them both.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site

Sounds like GAS6 increases responsiveness to EPO. So potentially: GAS6 + undetectably small doses of EPO = full scale EPO program. Apologies if this conclusion has been drawn already.

Granville57 said:
The WADA code is very deliberately constructed to cover a wide swath of possible doping methods and techniques. It's not simply a matter of discovering some product or method to use that "isn't on the list."

From the WADA code:

PROHIBITED METHODS
M1. MANIPULATION OF BLOOD AND BLOOD COMPONENTS

The following are prohibited:

1. The administration or reintroduction of any quantity of autologous, homologous or heterologous blood or red blood cell products of any origin into the circulatory system.

2. Artificially enhancing the uptake, transport or delivery of oxygen...

3. Any form of intravascular manipulation of the blood or blood components by physical or chemical means.

http://www.wada-ama.org/en/World-Anti-Doping-Program/Sports-and-Anti-Doping-Organizations/International-Standards/Prohibited-List/

New stuff or old stuff. The code covers them both.

You missed the most important part, in fact the first part of the banned substance list.

S0. NON-APPROVED SUBSTANCES

Any pharmacological substance which is not addressed by any of the subsequent sections of the List and with no current approval by any governmental regulatory health authority for human therapeutic use (e.g drugs under pre-clinical or clinical development or discontinued, designer drugs, substances approved only for veterinary use) is prohibited.

Anyone suggesting a team can get away with using new, unknown substances basically hasn't even bothered to check the list.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Tyler'sTwin said:
No! It returns hematocrit to normal in anemic patients. There is no indication that it increases RBC mass without increasing hct.

If it boosts the body's response to EPO in people who aren't deficient, one might suggest the combination of Gas6 and microdoses results in a bigger boost than just microdoses. But I don't really see the big advantage here. We know the main limiter of blood manipulation now is the ABP, not drug testing. Tyler and Levi hit 49% with microdoses + transfusions. Ashenden drove up Hb mass by a whooping 10% with dosing similar to the Ferrari microdosing program. Gas6 might be a significant advantage if EPO-testing has improved to the point that you can no longer get large gains from microdosing. But you could still transfuse a large amount of blood for a single targeted event like the TdF.

I'd suggest that what it might offer is security, if the doses of EPO required had detectability --> zero. This would be important to eg Wiggins who carries the reputation of GB Olympic sport on his shoulders. If GAS6 has a role in regulating RBC production then it may be helpful in managing a passport also? Froome: just about safe to assume his ABP is considered meaningless so he has a greater degree of freedom, is my take. Not to join too many dots at once.

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
When it comes to red blood cells, you still need to deliver the treatment periodically. It cannot be achieved with an one-time-injection of a transporter product. This is what I know from my genetics lectures back in my first year in the university.

Obviously I am not an expert on genetics but since this Growth arrest-6 gene and its related protein can be altered by genetic treatments, I imagine it will require before and after data in order to notice somethings wrong.

Because if you don't know exactly what genetic alteration/modification or boost you are looking for, it is nearly impossible to detect that specific operations on genetic levels. One will need very certain chemicals for certain genes and this is only possible if you know what you are looking for.

Not your average anti-doping controls will reveal such alteration/modification/information.