• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

GB Track Team

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Wallace and Gromit said:
Improving by 1.7s between the World Champs and the OGs is hardly extreme either. Other squads have improved by more: Spain 4:01.7 to 3:59.2; Russia 3:59.2 to 3:57.2
I am under the impression you know a lot more at track cycling than me but 1.7 seconds in a few months time, I cannot say that's just a marginal gain.

If I understood correctly, the Aussies were just a tenth of a second down at the Worlds?

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
mb2612 said:
An would have come 4th in the sprint qualifying, despite being a pursuit rider.

Outrageous

Considering he is a world class pursuiter with an outstanding sprint, why is he so poor on the road. Certainly he is a million miles from getting a place with Sky.

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Just been listening to radio 2, Boardman says all the success for the track and Sky can be attributed to Dave Brailsford and Chris Evans suggested he should get knighted, so we better get use to Sir Dave and Sir Brad, who said cheats never prosper...

Chris Boardman has had Enough !!

This article on Boardman leaving the GB Team is interesting in a few ways....I read it as he has had enough of the Ridiculous performances being displayed and is distancing himself from it all. Any other views ???

“It’s come a long way. I think with strength in depth more than anything else. I was reflecting on it this morning on the way to the velodrome and I can’t think of another sport where not only have you got high performances in every event, and not just the events, but each individual. That’s quite some coaching that you’ve managed to get all of the athletes on peak form on a given day

'....how much work they’re doing on every single detail and it’s amazing to see what effect it’s having.”

full article - http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boardman-turns-to-new-pastures-after-london-games

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Sireau's WR was set in Moscow. I think this is a longer track, with longer straights and a huge banking.

So JK's time is probably the faster on a standard 250m track.

GB is still maintaining standards. :)

Kenny's PB from 2008 is 9.8, so again, not much improvement since the last OGs, particularly from a guy who is still only 24.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
This article on Boardman leaving the GB Team is interesting in a few ways....I read it as he has had enough of the Ridiculous performances being displayed and is distancing himself from it all. Any other views ???

“It’s come a long way. I think with strength in depth more than anything else. I was reflecting on it this morning on the way to the velodrome and I can’t think of another sport where not only have you got high performances in every event, and not just the events, but each individual. That’s quite some coaching that you’ve managed to get all of the athletes on peak form on a given day

'....how much work they’re doing on every single detail and it’s amazing to see what effect it’s having.”

full article - http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boardman-turns-to-new-pastures-after-london-games

Really???

I read it has he's achieved everything he could possibly have achieved with the GB team and is now looking for a new challenge. Whenever I've heard Boardman talk he's been very pro GB so I doubt he'd change he's tune now and start hinting at doping.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
Maybe the track is not that fast anymore :D

It must be that. Because we know that the Brits have the secret World Record sauce:p Or maybe their Miraculix has been kidnapped by the Romans?

mb2612 said:
An would have come 4th in the sprint qualifying, despite being a pursuit rider.

Outrageous

Outrageously incorrect. Clancy's time was just under 12.6".
He would have place last, a bit under one second slower than the slowest rider, who posted < 11.7"
However, GB collectively carrying incredible form.
Kenny and Clancy's flying laps outclass their fields.

Now, both Kenny and Bauge get a lap of honour.
Stupid UCI qualifying rule in action, once again.

Unless there is some stupid mistake, there are only 4 men realistically fighting for 3 medals.

Pathetic.

Mellow Velo said:
Outrageously incorrect. Clancy's time was just under 12.6".
He would have place last, a bit under one second slower than the slowest rider, who posted < 11.7"
However, GB collectively carrying incredible form.
Kenny and Clancy's flying laps outclass their fields.

Now, both Kenny and Bauge get a lap of honour.
Stupid UCI qualifying rule in action, once again.

Unless there is some stupid mistake, there are only 4 men realistically fighting for 3 medals.

Pathetic.

Yeah, look at the distances, you will see your mistake.

The BBC said that over his final 200m Clancy was 10 flat. As I said, outrageous.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
The hype around the British track team since the huge medal haul in Beijing has been enormous. They have been expected to deliver big-time to shore up the country's place on the medal table. With Bradley's recent road triumphs, the road has been in the public eye for the last couple of months. The track has been under the spotlight for 4 years now. Even though Brailsford directed cycling to a wonderful performance in 2008, that would all be for nothing if they flopped at the home Olympics. The pressure is on.

With the pressure, however, has come a lot of money. The stakes are very high for the British team. Anyone with a knowledge of my posting history knows that I'm no GB apologist, but it is true that while interest in track is fading in most places, this GB team is possibly the best funded track program ever. However, lots of money can be put to good or nefarious uses.

It's no secret that the richer you are, the better your program tends to be. Dark clouds have hung around Contador for years, yet in the end it was only a bewildering blunder that cost him. Contrast that with the likes of Galimzyanov; struggling to fulfil significant promise and under pressure for results he went for easily testable EPO. More money means better, newer drugs and more research on exactly how to get the best out of them.

In conclusion, if ever a clean squad were to perform like this one, it would be this one. To me, that's quite a big if though. Personally I would have a lot more faith in GB Track if it wasn't run by Brailsford. After the business with Sky's dodgy doctors, and many of the other things you can read on the Sky thread, I have very little faith in Brailsford.

mb2612 said:
Yeah, look at the distances, you will see your mistake.

The BBC said that over his final 200m Clancy was 10 flat. As I said, outrageous.

Again, as I said, incorrect.

Kenny's 9.7" was over 250 metres.
20% off <11.7" (the slowest time) is 9.3" seconds.
Kenny would be at 7.9"

Of course, this doesn't factor in speeds during that missing 50 metres.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:

With 6 kids its easy to take this as read . God only knows what his wife has put up with and for the sake of his marriage he might finally be wanting to throttle back.
However, if you want to look at it from " the dark side" his comments regards Peter Keen might be considered revealing. If my sources are correct he and Keen had good reason to keep a very tight ship. With possible storm clouds gathering in the future now would seem a good time to put some distance between himself and the current BC/Sky regime. Chris will be fully aware of the questions being asked and he most certainly knows the ins and outs of what go,s on regards GT,s.
Peter left the BC set up a while ago, apparently, IIRC ,to take up a post with GlaxoSmithKline in there sports drinks design dept.
What I found interesting was this was done with very little fan fare or tributes paid to the man who, more than any other is credited with setting BC on the road to the domination we see now when he came up with the funding proposals known as the World Class Performance Plan that attracted a huge input of Lottery funding.
Peter remains a very allusive character , rarely seen and rarely quoted.

Mellow Velo said:

Kenny would be at 7.9"

Read the rules:
The basics
The sprint is a race between two riders over three laps of the track.

The two riders start side by side, and on the starting signal set off, usually very slowly, before building up to a full-on sprint finish. It is an extremely tactical event, with some riders not wanting to be in the front for the full race, which is why they may slow down and use the full width of the track.

Competition format
The event starts with a 200m time trial to determine the rankings for the 16 riders in the first round. From then on the competition is a knockout, going to quarter-finals, semi-finals and the final, which are all the best of three heats.

For a complete set of rules, please refer to the website of the International Cycling Union (UCI), governing body for the sport.

EDIT: or just compare the average speeds
Clancy: 71.678
Forsterman: 71.485

Darryl Webster said:
With 6 kids its easy to take this as read . Peter left the BC set up a while ago, apparently, IIRC ,to take up a post with GlaxoSmithKline in there sports drinks design dept.
What I found interesting was this was done with very little fan fare or tributes paid to the man who, more than any other is credited with setting BC on the road to the domination we see now when he came up with the funding proposals known as the World Class Performance Plan that attracted a huge input of Lottery funding.

Actually he's been on TV quite a bit this week talking about the sport and his role as Special Advisor for Performance at UK Sport. That's not very elusive really

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Avoriaz said:
Actually he's been on TV quite a bit this week talking about the sport and his role as Special Advisor for Performance at UK Sport. That's not very elusive really

Really?..Is that on uk TV?...I have not seen him once and I've watched most all of the cycling coverage.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Avoriaz said:
Yes. And interviewed at least once on Radio 5Live

I'm not disputing what your saying Avoriaz but I'm curious because like I said I haven't seen him on TV in conjunction with the cycling coverage.
Was he speaking more generally regards sports rather than cycling?.

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

Kenny would be at 7.9"

Sprint qualifying is timed over the final 200m, not 250m.

Ridden track much? :p

Darryl Webster said:
With 6 kids its easy to take this as read . God only knows what his wife has put up with and for the sake of his marriage he might finally be wanting to throttle back.
However, if you want to look at it from " the dark side" his comments regards Peter Keen might be considered revealing. If my sources are correct he and Keen had good reason to keep a very tight ship. With possible storm clouds gathering in the future now would seem a good time to put some distance between himself and the current BC/Sky regime. Chris will be fully aware of the questions being asked and he most certainly knows the ins and outs of what go,s on regards GT,s.
Peter left the BC set up a while ago, apparently, IIRC ,to take up a post with GlaxoSmithKline in there sports drinks design dept.

PK and Boardman have no skeletons in the closet, no matter how many times you infer otherwise.
With regards to PK leaving British cycling, its because he transitioned to the performance director of UK Sport quite a while ago. He is effectively one of the most influential people in UK sport.

You need to get more reliable sources.

Darryl Webster said:

With all those kids and being a scouser I was wondering whether he or the wife is a papist? I understand LA's is and she was dumped. I guess it's not easy going to Mass with her when you are doped to the eyeballs (H/T to the English novelist Graham Greene for that insight). Any thoughts on the link below Daryl?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/diets/article-1227777/CHRIS-BOARDMAN-I-cycling-32-I-bones-old-woman.html

CB strikes me as a mystery in all of this. Perhaps he's mystified as well. These are confusing times.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
andy1234 said:
PK and Boardman have no skeletons in the closet, no matter how many times you infer otherwise.
With regards to PK leaving British cycling, its because he transitioned to the performance director of UK Sport quite a while ago.

You need to get more reliable sources.

Hey Andy, I did say "if my sources are correct"..and as they happen to include a former world champion and a former BC sprint coach there not people I easily dismiss.

TRENDING THREADS