• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

GB Track Team

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Wallace and Gromit said:
Downhill and with a following wind though, surely!

Nope, 12 hour time trials are done on loops with a final finishing circuit with time keepers spread evenly around to call time. An average is worked out between the final time keeper and the preceding one to give the final mileage. There,s a pretty even amount of tail wind/ head wind.

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
the big ring said:
I am trying to reconcile my fanboism with what I am reading here, but that's some significant marginal gains from 1990 to 1992. :eek:

Ekimov ca. 1989:
5380467104_d89b5a3fbf_z.jpg

Boardman ca. 1992:
boardman-at-speed.jpg

And out of left field, Ekimov 1992:
ekimov.jpg

Obviously not a pursuit, but, IMO, Boardman was ahead of the game aerodynamically. He was only 11 seconds better than Ekimov's world championship time in 1990...how much of that was aerodynamics? Of course, I understand the original comparison was with respect to the 20 second advantage Boardman had over the Commonwealth Games winner two years prior, which may have been intended to compare the caliber of rider he was to the caliber he would become.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:
Nope, 12 hour time trials are done on loops with a final finishing circuit with time keepers spread evenly around to call time. An average is worked out between the final time keeper and the preceding one to give the final mileage. There,s a pretty even amount of tail wind/ head wind.

Sorry. I was joking. :)

As someone who'd be ecstatic to break an hour for a "25", that is truly mind-boggling.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Wallace and Gromit said:
Sorry. I was joking. :)

As someone who'd be ecstatic to break an hour for a "25", that is truly mind-boggling.

The same guy holds the record for 24 hour Time Trials ( yup..us mad brits do them to!) with 541 miles and has done Lands End to John O`Groats , ( the two furthest points of the UK mainland) 874 miles, in 41 hours, 4 minutes and 22 seconds on a Windcheetah recumbent tricycle.
He,s a bit of a legend over here. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tix9iF3reSE

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:
Exactly what's said on the tin. :rolleyes:

The results spell it out, there was huge leap from good to world beater , mostly between 91/92 .

Just checking.

So this sums it up then, by my reckoning
sour_grapes_normal.jpg
Green eyed monster methinks?

Boardman was on the British National Team at 16 so his pedigree was not in question was it?

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
ultimobici said:
Just checking.

So this sums it up then, by my reckoning
sour_grapes_normal.jpg
Green eyed monster methinks?

Boardman was on the British National Team at 16 so his pedigree was not in question was it?

Oh dear that old nonsense..accuse the messenger:rolleyes:. I've shown very clearly the sudden leap from good to world beater that occurred between 91/92 which just so happens to coincide with the arrival of EPO as an increasingly widely used PED for which , at the time, there was no test. Draw you own conclusions. Boardman was a good, not great rider. Very suddenly..in a period of 12 months something changed.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
The Brits have been extremely impressive in all events of the olympics this year. I was especially impressed by Andy Murray! Federer couldn't put up a fight....

Coincidence that Bradley wins the TDF & has by a huge margin his best ever season....on an Olympic year....when Britain hosts!!!!

Oh but we all know doping accusations are sour grapes.... he he he you all are just jealous.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/19093413

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
BigBoat said:
The Brits have been extremely impressive in all events of the olympics this year. I was especially impressed by Andy Murray! Federer couldn't put up a fight....

Coincidence that Bradley wins the TDF & has by a huge margin his best ever season....on an Olympic year....when Britain hosts!!!!

It's a coincidence that Bradley won the TDF in a Olympic Year, sort of, they had been trying to do so 'before 2014' and the investment in cycling that helped the track team in China and in London also helped Bradley Wiggins. Not to mention the money from Team Sky.

It's not a coincidence that Brits have done so well in the Olympics. It's a home Olympics. Not only do they have the benefits of a largely British supporter base and not having to travel but they've also been gearing up for this since 2005, when London won the bid. UK Sport then kicked up a notch in terms of focus and resources to help get a good Olympic team in time for their home games.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:
Oh dear that old nonsense..accuse the messenger:rolleyes:. I've shown very clearly the sudden leap from good to world beater that occurred between 91/92 which just so happens to coincide with the arrival of EPO as an increasingly widely used PED for which , at the time, there was no test. Draw you own conclusions. Boardman was a good, not great rider. Very suddenly..in a period of 12 months something changed.
No, I don't buy it. Boardman was 22 when he won in Barcelona. At that age you are still developing so his progression is not otherworldly. You are more than implying that he doped to his medal and beyond. If that is the case why did he not perform in longer TT events? Why did he not place higher in the Tour and other events? It doesn't add up and you know it.

It is disingenuous of you to suggest what you have without a shred of evidence, just innuendo. If you have got real credible evidence why are you making allegations on an internet forum instead of presenting it to the relevant authorities? I'll tell you, because it isn't there.

You'd have a point if he'd done SFA up to the 92 Olympics but he hadn't had he? Junior 10 & 25 Record holder, national team at 16, Olympic selection at 20. Wins on the continent prior to turning pro, what more do you need to indicate potential? Just because your trajectory plateaued doesn't mean others climbed higher clean.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
ultimobici said:
No, I don't buy it. Boardman was 22 when he won in Barcelona. At that age you are still developing so his progression is not otherworldly. You are more than implying that he doped to his medal and beyond. If that is the case why did he not perform in longer TT events? Why did he not place higher in the Tour and other events? It doesn't add up and you know it.

It is disingenuous of you to suggest what you have without a shred of evidence, just innuendo. If you have got real credible evidence why are you making allegations on an internet forum instead of presenting it to the relevant authorities? I'll tell you, because it isn't there.

You'd have a point if he'd done SFA up to the 92 Olympics but he hadn't had he? Junior 10 & 25 Record holder, national team at 16, Olympic selection at 20. Wins on the continent prior to turning pro, what more do you need to indicate potential? Just because your trajectory plateaued doesn't mean others climbed higher clean.

Sorry dude, I know a lot more about Chris than you realise. What "hard evidence" would you like me to present?..pictures?. As with EVERY single case unless there's positive samples EVERY single case is circumstantial. That my dear friend is how this section of the forum works...we present the circumstantial, we discuss the POSSIBILITY and we all make our own minds up on the balance of PROBABILITY.
That I have had a former world champion ( that I trust) tell me about the enquiries made to him regards EPO directly by someone, very, very close to Chris in 91 is just that kind of CIRCUMSTANTIAL " evidence" and tied in with the leap in performance 91/92 , strange as it might seem to you, arouses my suspicion. If you don't like this kind of discussion might I suggest you steer clear of the clinic?...it does exactly what it sais on the tin..no less, no more. It is NOT a court of law.

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Cancellator said:
I, too, wonder how did J. Kenny improve so much since the last WC. I mean, it was clear there that Bauge was stronger than him, and now, he beat the Frenchman convincingly. I think Bauge's question is legitimate - it's all too good to be true for the Brits.

Although, differences in funding compared to their competitors might explain this in a more plausible way than on the road. I don't know.

Off-topic: Laura Trott is cute :eek:

Do you guys on this forum know anything about cycling at all and how to prepare in cycles peaking at the right times? JAson Kenny and all the track team have worked their ******** off this year. The worlds is not thier main target the oympics are.
You should go to open sessions and watch how they prepare and train and wact them when they come of the track puking up.
The french are just envious and Buage has a chip on both shoulders. What more incentive could Kenny have than Bauge to say he prefered if HOy had ridden as he was a true champ. Kenny has always had class and more sprint craft than Hoy and is still young and still improving, more to come yet.
My advice to you guys in this forum is to get a life and go do some riding you may enjoy it, I have never read so much shiot in all my life as in here load of ****ing martians

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:
Sorry dude, I know a lot more about Chris than you realise. What "hard evidence" would you like me to present?..pictures?. As with EVERY single case unless there's positive samples EVERY single case is circumstantial. That my dear friend is how this section of the forum works...we present the circumstantial, we discuss the POSSIBILITY and we all make our own minds up on the balance of PROBABILITY.
That I have had a former world champion ( that I trust) tell me about the enquiries made to him regards EPO directly by someone, very, very close to Chris in 91 is just that kind of CIRCUMSTANTIAL " evidence" and tied in with the leap in performance 91/92 , strange as it might seem to you, arouses my suspicion. If you don't like this kind of discussion might I suggest you steer clear of the clinic?...it does exactly what it sais on the tin..no less, no more. It is NOT a court of law.

Ah nice to see you still have your chip on shoulder

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the other cyclists work hard and know how to peak as well, it's the improvement compared to them from the world's, that's surprising in some cases.

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
bobbins said:
Spin, spin, spin, spin. Their wheels are UKSI with Mavic badges. I doubt that he took that many trips to china, the people who work for him may have taken that many in total but they would have known what they were looking for. Dave B isn't a coach, he's a good manager of people with a good team around him.

Have all of the previous track team pursuit teams got jobs at BC now? Rob Hayles excepted they are looking after their own well aren't they!

They used the wheels from Athens!! They use comete and I/O. oh and they are round. Do you think that the wheels make that much difference? most of this stuff is in the heads of the opponents, it's driving them mad :)

Darryl Webster said:

Thanks Darryl, well said.

acyclist said:
Do you guys on this forum know anything about cycling at all and how to prepare in cycles peaking at the right times?

You should tell Wiggins about this peaking stuff. Think of how much better he could be if he peaked for races instead of riding at one extraterrestrial level all year long.

acyclist said:
My advice to you guys in this forum is to get a life and go do some riding you may enjoy it, I have never read so much shiot in all my life as in here load of ****ing martians

The term is bone-idle ****ers. Get it right.

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:
So, basically , what you are saying is that you are chicken, have no balls and couldn't give a monkey's as to the integrity of the sport, you just kept your trap shut until now, when you could spout off on some insignificant internet forum.

What a big man you are.

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
stampedingviking said:
So, basically , what you are saying is that you are chicken, have no balls and couldn't give a monkey's as to the integrity of the sport, you just kept your trap shut until now, when you could spout off on some insignificant internet forum.

What a big man you are.

It might surprise you to know that as riders rep I did speak out at the AGM of the PCA ( professional cycling association ) in 1989 about the doping problem in the uk pro scene and as result was unable to gain a contract for 1990. Blacklisted I think you'd call it.
Having just got married and a need to make a living I had better things to do than fight an un winnable battle with a whole scene in denial then and still in denial now. For 17 years I left the sport behind.
Your right about one thing , I couldn't give a rats **** about the pro sport. The pro sport is just one part of cycling and tbh a pretty small part. It deserves all the flack it gets. My word then, as it does now, means ****** all, a fact I'm under no allusions about. That all said I enjoy the banter, enjoy the spectacle, enjoy the dissection and more important than any of that still enjoy riding my bike now and then and couldn't give two fecks as to what anyone else has to say about my motives.

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:
It might surprise you to know that as riders rep I did speak out at the AGM of the PCA ( professional cycling association ) in 1989 about the doping problem in the uk pro scene and as result was unable to gain a contract for 1990. Blacklisted I think you'd call it.
Having just got married and a need to make a living I had better things to do than fight an un winnable battle with a whole scene in denial then and still in denial now. For 17 years I left the sport behind.
Your right about one thing , I couldn't give a rats **** about the pro sport. The pro sport is just one part of cycling and tbh a pretty small part. It deserves all the flack it gets. My word then, as it does now, means ****** all, a fact I'm under no allusions about. That all said I enjoy the banter, enjoy the spectacle, enjoy the dissection and more important than any of that still enjoy riding my bike now and then and couldn't give two fecks as to what anyone else has to say about my motives.

Well done sir. This place seems to attract many who have an opinion but have done nothing.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Darryl Webster said:
Had you mentioned this at the same time as you questioned Boardman's jump in performance it would have made much more sense. As it stood originally, it simply smacked of jealousy.

Darryl Webster said:
Sorry to hear that. But on the other hand you were spared actually having to compete in the blackest period of the sport. Perhaps a blessing in hindsight?

Darryl Webster said:

I thought it was because of the "economic downturn" that you couldn't get a contract after Teka? ;)

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/news/testing-times/q/date/2009/01/15/darryl-webster-interview

Apologies however as I did see the reference to doping in the PEZ interview:

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=9207

seems crazy daft for such a parochial circuit

Fair play to you, also, for giving it a go. I did enjoy reading about you in Cycling Weekly as a kid

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
stampedingviking said:

What a big man you are.

What an ironic thing to say, hiding behind a pseudonym, talking smack to someone on the Interwebs. You make me lol. :D