• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Gear shifting problem

Mar 1, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and best wishes for the future. We can learn more efficiently when we share our experiences with one another. Debris buildup between the shift housing and the shift cable, kinks in the cable or housing, or worn-out housing are all common causes of sluggish and reluctant shifts. As previously mentioned, check that your derailleur, hanger, cassette, and wheel are all securely fastened. Hard shift conditions are more likely to occur in vehicles that are operating with worn-out or contaminated fluid or have a low level of transmission fluid. The transmission's inadequate lubrication can result in a number of issues, including hard shifting. You can also find a lot of solutions online; I hope you find one.

I physically move the shifter, but the gear doesn't change, yes. Road bars.
Ok, could be a few things. First thing to check is the cable tension and that shifting the gear either pulls or releases cable. If it's internally routed you'll have to check close to the derailleur, if not you should be able to find a section of cable you can hold.

This is all assuming you're not on electronics gears.

Ok, could be a few things. First thing to check is the cable tension and that shifting the gear either pulls or releases cable. If it's internally routed you'll have to check close to the derailleur, if not you should be able to find a section of cable you can hold.

This is all assuming you're not on electronics gears.

Thank you. I think I have a rough idea of the problem now, but I can't solve it on my own, so I'll bring it to the shop...

Mar 24, 2023
Visit site
My friend also facing the same issue.
Sounds like a cable is stuck. But instead of writing up and and down about possible solutions, thre are tons of great youtube videos explaining how gearing works.
This one popped up when I searched for Shimano shifting problems, and it's a pretty good one.

My friend also facing the same issue. By the way, I am seeking for a Custom Thesis Writing Service online, and while doing so, I discovered this website https://studyclerk.com/thesis-writing where I can see authors that can create Custom Thesis and its works very properly, and they complete my job on time.
Thanks, I will tell him to explore this link.

Last edited:
I can't shift gears on my bike. Shimano.
I am technically clueless. Any suggestions of what I can nonetheless try to do before I bring it to a shop?
Hey BR2,
I have a road bike with Shimano Ultegra that only gets used on the trainer, and when I pulled it out this spring I had the same issue...the shifter moved, but nothing happened. I could move the cable by hand so that wasn't the issue. I rolled the rubber hood back and sprayed a little WD40 into the mechanism and it worked (WD40 isn't my favorite, but its what I had handy in the basement). That bike needs some TLC, but maybe your issue is something as simple as this?

*NOTE: The spring of 20, 21, and 22 were dry enough that I didn't ride the trainer so it had just sat in the basement since the spring of 19.
*NOTE 2: "Spring" to me starts Feb. 1. :p

Reactions: BR2

TRENDING THREADS