• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Geelong 2010: Elite Men's Time Trial 45.8km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
search said:
Porte's gonna watch the road race on television, he's not even in there, so nothing to wait for

True, is it just me or do people find him getting a bit arrogant. I know there is nothing wrong with confidence but for a neo pro who is considering offers from other teams he seems a bit smug for my liking. It could be me just going crazy!

Dalakhani said:
Makes sense.

(I forgot it was a tiny little Aussie course - not the big TT courses I'm used to seeing in European races :D )

Steve

Umm you do realise they did the same thing in Mendrisio last year. No matter how big or small the course if they are doing laps and riders are starting a minute after eachother you will get crowding and confusion.

Im not sure what they did in TOC though. This is the worlds though. Strictly no slipstreaming. Larsson found that out last year.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
1. Martin
2. Cancellara
3. Moerenhout ;)

You're joking, I hope?
Spartacus will destroy the field. After the first lap he'll have the same time as Martin, and then he will truly massacre the second lap.
1. Cancellara
2. Martin
3. Larsson (he always seems to be up there!)

I reckon one of the American or Australian early starters could put in a time to battle for the 3rd place. It doesnt have to be favourites taking up all the top places. Like that American who missed 3rd last year by a second.

And what if the conditions favour the early starters? You never know.

I can see Canc losing this because he was not that great a week ago at the Vuelta but he is good at peaking when he feels like it. Probably will have just a bit too much for Martin. Not the 3 minute gap of last year.

Oh and who goes just before Canc? is it GEL? Because he could just do what he did last year. Wait for Canc to catch him 5k in and follow him for pretty much the whole course.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I reckon one of the American or Australian early starters could put in a time to battle for the 3rd place. It doesnt have to be favourites taking up all the top places. Like that American who missed 3rd last year by a second.

I can see Canc losing this because he was not that great a week ago at the Vuelta but he is good at peaking when he feels like it. Probably will have just a bit too much for Martin. Not the 3 minute gap of last year.

Oh and who goes just before Canc? is it GEL? Because he could just do what he did last year. Wait for Canc to catch him 5k in and follow him for pretty much the whole course.

R Porte is before Cancellara. But do you really think Tony Martin will lost more than 2min to Cancellara and then R Porte only lost 2 min to Cancellara? the time gap at the startline is 2 min but last year is 1 min.

auscyclefan94 said:
I think Mick Rogers is going to feature very highly in the leaderboard tommorow. I think he is a dark horse ftw. Porte should go well also.

Rogers??? He hasn't got a chance. He has not been able to time trial against on form world class competition since he stopped seeing Dr. Ferrari. Rogers is the Australian Tommy D.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
I'm not so sure. Cancellara usually wins so much time on the descents and the flats, it's insane. A bit like Taylor Phinney did in the U23 TT (or the other way around, of course, Phinney rode like Cancellara does ;))

Cancellara sees Richie Porte as his main rival for the time trial, so it's safe to say that he would **** his pants if Contador was in the time trial.

I can easily see Contador podiuming on this time trial if he's in good form. Oh well, his season always stops in July, so it will remain a "what if?" question.

El Pistolero said:
Cancellara sees Richie Porte as his main rival for the time trial, so it's safe to say that he would **** his pants if Contador was in the time trial.

I can easily see Contador podiuming on this time trial if he's in good form. Oh well, his season always stops in July, so it will remain a "what if?" question.
Hm, I don't know... at the Olympics (probably a harder course than this one) Contador crushed everyone on the climbs, but he eventually finished 4th, because he lost a lot (and I mean a lot) of time on the downhills. And look at Porte's breakthrough performance in Romandie: nothing special on the climb, but far and away the strongest on the descent. Cancellara probably knows where Porte's strengths lie.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:

I call this busted, Larsson was catched in the second lap. With the second best split-time as I remember it.

Cancellara catched Larsson and then Wiggins in VERY rapid succession.

Sorry, you remember wrong. (Wiggins I still haven't forgiven your insults to Gustav! Hope your mechanics smear glue on the wrong side of the tubular!!!)

meandmygitane said:
I call this busted, Larsson was catched in the second lap. With the second best split-time as I remember it.

Sorry, you remember wrong. (Wiggins I still haven't forgiven your insults to Gustav! Hope your mechanics smear glue on the wrong side of the tubular!!!)
Come on, if you're caught after one lap and then lose just a few seconds on the rest of the course, you've clearly profited from having the best time trialist in the world as a constant target in front of you.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Come on, if you're caught after one lap and then lose just a few seconds on the rest of the course, you've clearly profited from having the best time trialist in the world as a constant target in front of you.

Maybe he gained some seconds of it, so what? He beat Tony Martin most emphatically, he dropped Wiggins on the climb (who was riding for the 3d spot).

Tony Martin got owned with one full minute. Cancellara slowed down his pace in the second lap, he knew that Larsson was the second best and had not a worry in the world. He could have beaten Larsson with 2 minutes and Martin with 4.

It didn't make any changes (except for whiningwhiningWiggans who threw his bicycle in impotence)

That he wasn't catched in the first five kilometres we can agree on. And if The Hitch is wrong in that... Falsum in uno, falsum in omnibus :)

meandmygitane said:

the 5k remark was a hyperoble. It wasnt literraly 5k. But Larsson did follow Canc for much of the race. The organisers even had to drive up to him to tell him not to slipstream.

And yes Wiggins was a bit disrespectful to GEL.

Edid: but i see you dont stop at that. You mock him for throwing his bicycle, without mentioning why he did it. A mechanical cost him chances to fight for 3rd. A tad unfair.