• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General complaint thread

I'm feeling grumpy and need an outlet.

I just came back from the doctor who diagnosed my fourth case of bronchitis this year. I had it in January, February and April, with each bout being worse.

Now the cold weather is back and the bronchia are acting up again.

This does NOT make me happy.

Susan

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Susan Westemeyer said:

I just came back from the doctor who diagnosed my fourth case of bronchitis this year. I had it in January, February and April, with each bout being worse.

Susan

Sorry to hear that. Are your kids transmitting viruses to you? Maybe you should cut back on your 2 packs a day cig habit. Typical Writer:D

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:

Susan

If you had had it in March too, it would have been '4 in a row'... Something too be very proud of.

Also a good reason to have some Strohrum, or Jagermeister... I thought both tasted somewhat like a cough syrup

A

Anonymous

ack...I work for the postal system...I delivered 500 pieces of useless **** today...for a low wage...Susan, count your blessings hon!:) oh yeah, and I have a virus as well...but need to get to work...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
hmmm...

In 2008 I was living in London. I had 3 hits of Bronchitis and 2 hits of tonsilitis between Jan and April.

Came back to Australia this year and everyone I know has been sick but I have been completely fine.

I think I just needed to see the sun to get my strength back - something that those in the UK don't get to do very often

(I am not actually joking about this, I had several blood tests in all that time and the consistent thing was that the only value that was non-normal was a very very low vitamin D level)

A

Anonymous

Martin318is said:
hmmm...

In 2008 I was living in London. I had 3 hits of Bronchitis and 2 hits of tonsilitis between Jan and April.

Came back to Australia this year and everyone I know has been sick but I have been completely fine.

I think I just needed to see the sun to get my strength back - something that those in the UK don't get to do very often

(I am not actually joking about this, I had several blood tests in all that time and the consistent thing was that the only value that was non-normal was a very very low vitamin D level)

interesting...lately, I have been looking a few things up on Vit. D levels and sun...seems like taking supplements might do us well...especially us older folks...cost me like 12 bucks for a year supply...but it makes alot sense I think.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:

Susan

Cold air is in itself an irritant for a hyperreactive respiratory tract.
Do you exercise a lot, or did you use to excercise a lot in cold weather?

(I've got bronchitis asthma playing up whenever I breathe heavily in really cold air. According to my physician my bronchi are permanently damaged by having pulled enormous amounts of cold air into the lungs when doing cross-country skiing, and will most likely forever be hyperreactive in the cold. Heating the air slightly by breathing through the nose helps me a bit, but when I excercise now, in -10 deg. C or lower, I have to use a facemask with a metallic grill that gets heated when breathing out, and heats plus adds moisture to the air on the way in. It helps a bit, but I've also had to rely on salbutamol (out of competition).

All my sympathy! ;)

A

Anonymous

vitamin B, vitamin D, and licquorice root (you chew it), but its not recommended for pregnant or menopausal women or people with high blood pressure

(not saying susan is either of the above, but just disclaiming generally in case i cause someone to die)

as for complaints.. you really dont want me to start complaining about stuff do you?

A

Anonymous

ok dug this from my very old blog... hopefully the censor will edit out the bad words..

30 things that really really get on my wotsits...

1) Seagulls...
Dont really have to add anything to that do i...

2)People who walk...
ok.. not just people who walk.. but the following categories of really annoying walkers...

a. The slowcoach... the most basic of all annoying walkers, the slow walker, usually in narrow areas with ten shopping backs so you simply cannot get past.
b. The head on attack walker.. you know the one, walks towards you and you just know if you dont dive into a hedge, or a gutter they are going to hit you full in the face.. Its like walking chicken.. who is going to back out first.. but you know they arent going to...
c. The 6 abreast walkers... general from low income areas and holidaying in the south west.. Fat Mum, Fat Dad, four fat kids, 6 abreast across the street, holding ****ing hands with each other.. You cant get around them, you make vague attempts to duck under there linked arms but it fails.. you are forced to simply walk behind them forever and ever...
d. The head on 6 abreast... A cunning combination of the two above tactics, and a walk thats its almost impossible to counteract.. You find yourself forced to turn around and walk in the same direction as them.. before you know it your in mcdonalds with them eating a big mac, drinking supersized shake, and large fries and staying in their caravan...
e. The sudden stopper.. now you dont see many of these around anymore.. the campaign a few years ago to simply punch them in the head when they do it has seen this particular breed of walker pretty much extinct, but you do come across them occasionally.. If you do, punching is no longer socially acceptable.. BUt walking, really ****ing hard into the back of them is..
f. The inconsiderate wheelchair.. Now again, i have all the sympathy in the world for the disabled, the elderly, but i have no sympathy for rude people.. The rude people who think that because they are in a motorised wheelchair that can do 0-30 in about 3 seconds gives them the god given right to charge at you on the street (see head on attack walker subsection 2), batter there way through tesco... My advice with these, stand your ground, dont budge.. if they hit you.. well, where theres blame, theres a claim..
g. The zigzagger.. probably the most frustrating of all the walkers, as you go to pass them on the left, they vear left, you dodge to the right, they vear right, whatever you do they seem to do the same.. you find yourself accelerating and decelerating in an attempt to get past..
h. The static chatter... these arent technically walkers but ive included them anyway... the stop and chatters.. the two people (usually with prams) who decide to have there conversation on a narrow pavement.. you stand there, you wait, you look at them, they look at you, frown, and go back to your conversation, you say excuse me, they ignore you, and you realise the only way around is walking in the road.. Now there is a knack to this, but its dangerous.. you have to leave walking in the road until there is something coming towards you, you have to time it carefully, but just as the car comes down the road, step out into the road, and scream.. you are then legally allowed to plough into the two idiots standing on the pavement as you aviod the car, and if they say a word, simply say "you nearly got me killed by that car"
i. last, but by no means least, the 90 degree'er.. possibly the most annoying.. and most unpredictable.. they walk forwards like a perfectly normal person, and then suddenly, without warning, and for no apparant reason they turn a full ninety degrees and walk in a a straight line right across your path... you crash into them... and they look at you and YOU HAVE TO SAY ****ING SORRY TO THEM... the perfect annoying walker combining strategy, angle, rudeness and pace but masking it behind a normal walk...

watch out for em :eek:

A

Anonymous

oh theres more....

3) These ****ing new boxes that are appearing all over the interweb of funny, deformed strings of letters that you cant read that you have to replicate everytime you want to log onto your myspace, or fill out a form... SEVENTEEN ****ING ATTEMPTS it took me the other day on a bloody form, and ive been locked out of my myspace 5 times now for ballsing up the impossible unreadable word...
I mean.. what the hell is this http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/5488/securityxt5.jpg meant to say.. :/

4) My old favourite.. the traffic button pushy people....
Look.. youve justs seen me push the damn button... The sign is lit up WAIT... WHY THE HELL ARE YOU PUSHING IT AGAIN? Dont you trust me.. do you think im physically incapable of pushing a friggin button properly...Why are you doing it.. can you not pass a button without wanting to, oh, you just cant help yourself, you know its wrong, but you have to, you get that uncontrollable urge TO PUSH IT EVEN THOUGH ITS ALREADY BEEN PUSHED!!!!!!!!!!! But dont worry.. your not the worst... Youre not a PUSH THE FRIGGIN BUTTON TWENTY TIMES because you think the lights will change quicker person...

5) Old people....
Now, ok.. lets just clarify, not all old people.. just some old people... Old people who think they are allowed to push in whatever que they like because they are old.. Old people who think its acceptable to be rude because theyre old.. Old people who think its acceptable to smell, to fart when theyre sat next to you, to burp and to belch.. Old people who are racist, and remind you if it wasnt for them we'd all be talking german..
Old people who think the fact that they "FOUGHT IN THE WAR" i an excuse to do whatever they like, push in barge in, be rude, and get away with anything...
AND WHAT BLOODY WAR ANYWAY.. when i was a kid, when someone said they fought in the war you just shut up and respected em.. Theres old folk of 60 and 70 going round saying they bloody well fought in the war... WHAT FRIGGIN WAR, vietnam? Korea? The Friggin Falklands... I had some bloke the other day, told me he didnt like the poles, cos it was a polish pilot that caused him to be captured when his plane was shot down in WWII.. The guy wasnt a day over friggin 60...
So i dont hate old people, i just hate the fact that as soon as you hit sixty your allowed to use the "I fought in the war for you young man"

6) Chavs....
Well not just chavs, but lets face it, theyre the worst of the breed that insist that everything they do, say, listen to, and wear was invented by them.. and whatever you tell them they will not accept that they are just regurgitating what you did, wore and listened to twenty bloody years ago...

7) Computers...
Not all computers.. just the idiot computers that, when you underpay a bill by 1p will produce a letter, waste 30p on postage, paper and god knows what else, to tell you that you owe a penny, and if you dont pay it will send more letters, court summonses and god knows what else.. .

A

Anonymous

Race Radio said:
Bourbon is a great cure for everything. I am never sick

+1

Except, it's beer for me. Hangover is the only sickness I've had for years, but of course I'm frequently hungover.

Even the mosquitos know better than to mess with me.

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
I know this is getting a bit close to being cycling related, but...

People who can't even wipe their bike down with a rag before bringing it into a bike shop for service. For fudges sake! How are we meant to work out what's wrong with your bike if we can't even tell what colour it is? "Yes there is a problem with your front derailleur, it's that pile of festy gatorade mixed with road grime and shed dust." :mad:

And people who measure kids bikes in centimetres... what the hell is a 40cm kids bike. I can sell you a 12 inch or 16 inch bike with trainer wheels, or what you are literally asking for which is a very small road bike.:mad:

And I can't stand forums that censor all my good swear words, they fuc41ng suc4 fuc41ng donkey's nuts.:eek:

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
ok dug this from my very old blog... hopefully the censor will edit out the bad words..

30 things that really really get on my wotsits...

1) Seagulls...
Dont really have to add anything to that do i...

2)People who walk...
ok.. not just people who walk.. but the following categories of really annoying walkers...

a. The slowcoach... the most basic of all annoying walkers, the slow walker, usually in narrow areas with ten shopping backs so you simply cannot get past.
b. The head on attack walker.. you know the one, walks towards you and you just know if you dont dive into a hedge, or a gutter they are going to hit you full in the face.. Its like walking chicken.. who is going to back out first.. but you know they arent going to...
c. The 6 abreast walkers... general from low income areas and holidaying in the south west.. Fat Mum, Fat Dad, four fat kids, 6 abreast across the street, holding ****ing hands with each other.. You cant get around them, you make vague attempts to duck under there linked arms but it fails.. you are forced to simply walk behind them forever and ever...
d. The head on 6 abreast... A cunning combination of the two above tactics, and a walk thats its almost impossible to counteract.. You find yourself forced to turn around and walk in the same direction as them.. before you know it your in mcdonalds with them eating a big mac, drinking supersized shake, and large fries and staying in their caravan...
e. The sudden stopper.. now you dont see many of these around anymore.. the campaign a few years ago to simply punch them in the head when they do it has seen this particular breed of walker pretty much extinct, but you do come across them occasionally.. If you do, punching is no longer socially acceptable.. BUt walking, really ****ing hard into the back of them is..
f. The inconsiderate wheelchair.. Now again, i have all the sympathy in the world for the disabled, the elderly, but i have no sympathy for rude people.. The rude people who think that because they are in a motorised wheelchair that can do 0-30 in about 3 seconds gives them the god given right to charge at you on the street (see head on attack walker subsection 2), batter there way through tesco... My advice with these, stand your ground, dont budge.. if they hit you.. well, where theres blame, theres a claim..
g. The zigzagger.. probably the most frustrating of all the walkers, as you go to pass them on the left, they vear left, you dodge to the right, they vear right, whatever you do they seem to do the same.. you find yourself accelerating and decelerating in an attempt to get past..
h. The static chatter... these arent technically walkers but ive included them anyway... the stop and chatters.. the two people (usually with prams) who decide to have there conversation on a narrow pavement.. you stand there, you wait, you look at them, they look at you, frown, and go back to your conversation, you say excuse me, they ignore you, and you realise the only way around is walking in the road.. Now there is a knack to this, but its dangerous.. you have to leave walking in the road until there is something coming towards you, you have to time it carefully, but just as the car comes down the road, step out into the road, and scream.. you are then legally allowed to plough into the two idiots standing on the pavement as you aviod the car, and if they say a word, simply say "you nearly got me killed by that car"
i. last, but by no means least, the 90 degree'er.. possibly the most annoying.. and most unpredictable.. they walk forwards like a perfectly normal person, and then suddenly, without warning, and for no apparant reason they turn a full ninety degrees and walk in a a straight line right across your path... you crash into them... and they look at you and YOU HAVE TO SAY ****ING SORRY TO THEM... the perfect annoying walker combining strategy, angle, rudeness and pace but masking it behind a normal walk...

watch out for em :eek:
I really didn't think there was any one else on the planet that took issue with impolite and inconsiderate pedestrian! Thank you for voicing it for me, Dimspace! I know just what you mean

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:

Susan
So sorry Susan. I suffer from bronchitis also. I usually have it twice a year, once in summer if it is a particularly humid or moist summer here in Vancouver, BC, Canada, and once in the winter because of all the rain and dampness. I have found that using an antihistamine helps keep the inflamation down, and my doctor has prescribed a nasal spray which helped me after my last cold. It lasted for about 6 weeks and nothing got rid of it - - but the cortisteroid nasal spray finally fixed the problem. It wasn't a cold, just inflamation from the sinuses, which then travels to the chest. I had this problem as a kid, and now at 60 its back. Crikey!

You know, I always wondered if there wasn't a relationship between the sinues and bronchitis. I had a sinus infection the last week or two, and could feel it all draining down.

In addition to the antibiotics, I also have a prescription nasal spray, but I must say the active ingredient doesn't say anything to me.

OH, and did I mention that the doctor also said my blood pressure was a bit high and I ought to come back after the holidays to have it more thoroughly checked out? Great, thanks....

Susan

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
my blood pressure goes up when I have the sinus and the bronchitis thing - - all the coughing sends the pressure up I think. :0) Mine is back to normal. hope you feel better soon. Nothing worse than sinus, post nasal drip and cough attacks.

A

Anonymous

Cash05458 said:
ack...I work for the postal system...I delivered 500 pieces of useless **** today...for a low wage...Susan, count your blessings hon!:) oh yeah, and I have a virus as well...but need to get to work...

Australia Post?

I hear they're going on strike soon...

A

Anonymous

wonder no longer

Susan Westemeyer said:
You know, I always wondered if there wasn't a relationship between the sinues and bronchitis. I had a sinus infection the last week or two, and could feel it all draining down.

In addition to the antibiotics, I also have a prescription nasal spray, but I must say the active ingredient doesn't say anything to me.

OH, and did I mention that the doctor also said my blood pressure was a bit high and I ought to come back after the holidays to have it more thoroughly checked out? Great, thanks....

Susan

One word NETI

119mlif.jpg

Try it, you'll like it, be healthier. Complaints will dissolve away.

om

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:

We have some of these people on one of my favorite hills - unfortunately most like to go for a walk after dark covering both lanes of the road. Somehow they forget that bicycles do not make noise and have less brilliant lightening systems than cars. This has caused a dramatic increase in heart rate when I am supposed to be recovering while going downhill.

A

Anonymous

CentralCaliBike said:
We have some of these people on one of my favorite hills - unfortunately most like to go for a walk after dark covering both lanes of the road. Somehow they forget that bicycles do not make noise and have less brilliant lightening systems than cars. This has caused a dramatic increase in heart rate when I am supposed to be recovering while going downhill.

well thats a whole new one i had never considered.. i need to get out more.. :D

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
brewerjeff said:
One word NETI

119mlif.jpg

Try it, you'll like it, be healthier. Complaints will dissolve away.

om

+1 Got to agree that the neti pot helps a lot. It can feel weird when you first use it, but you soon get used to it. Very good at clearing out congestion and keeping some of that sludge from going down the throat to the lungs.

TRENDING THREADS