General Doping Thread.

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Spiegel plays a weird role in this kind of debates. They seem to take sides a bit biased, but so far I did not really get to the bottom of it. They seem to be critical towards doping - but just as much towards the "ARD guys", who, on the other hand, have Russia's doping system as one of their priorities.
I also find it hypocritical to behave like doping is mostly a Russian thing, as it obviously isn't. On the other hand it cannot be seriously debated that Russia as a state has applied a system of doping which exceeds by far what is done in most other countries. Personally I would like to delete all this patriotic stuff regarding sports. I know people are often mostly attracted to watching sports because they want to cheer for their country (=themselves), but I would like the associations to find other impulses. If it was me, I would stop the flags, the anthems, the national jerseys, everything. For team sports, let the teams find themselves or draw them or whatever, just stop mixing sports with nations...

I haven't followed this topic, but has someone talked about Pogacar in 2019?
Decent junior, ok U23. Joins the team of the dirtiest man in cycling and immediately becomes the best 20-year old the world has ever seen.
I don't believe it for a second.

Jul 2, 2019
I mean, yeah, but he did win the Tour de l'Avenir, which is a bit more than "OK u23". He was pretty hyped up when he debuted as a pro.

I haven't followed this topic, but has someone talked about Pogacar in 2019?
Decent junior, ok U23. Joins the team of the dirtiest man in cycling and immediately becomes the best 20-year old the world has ever seen.
I don't believe it for a second.
His progression wasn't overnight and makes more sense when you include Bernal, Higuita and others. He has raced intelligently as well so he hasn't flat-out pummeled a field and set some new standard.

Not necessarily doping but interesting

That Ketone story is pretty old as Professor Clarke at Oxford Uni said several teams around the world were buying ΔG from her at Oxford Uni around this time anyway and anyone could buy it, so long as they signed an NDA because it was still a DARPA project for US. Seems a journalists at Daily Fail found her interview on HVMN from a couple of years ago and now attempts to make it an issue.

I suspect the UK weren't the only ones using Ketones or similar products - Cutting edge sporting programs for elite athletes that go close to the line are normal, though having athletes sign disclaimers in case of future issues is worrying.

The whole Mail on Sunday story smacks of a journalist who spent a long amount of time trying to find a scandal and failed. And now, faced with the prospect of not getting paid/getting further commissions, has dressed up a trial of a supplement as something sinister. It even uses the tabloid trick of putting a lie in the headline is OK if it's in inverted commas.

Even on twitter had has written "I 100% know this is a niche story, and in many ways a historic and irrelevant story. It's eight years' old and being told for the first time. All I'd say is: what else shady is going on now that you won't know about for nearly a decade? "

Translation: My story is poor, so poor that no-one else has written it. Please imagine your own

HVMN (Delta G) has a video on YT and the inventor says the safety trials to get Ketones approved by FDA were paid by DARPA and cost $10M in 2003/4. I think the journalists of this latest story on UKSport have believed UKSport having access to an already FDA approved Ketone and testing it in sport was the safety trials and why they use the term Human Guinea Pigs and Wonder Drug etc. I highly doubt DARPA (A US Government Agency) are sending non-approved substances to UKSport to test on Olympic Athletes in an Olympic Games lol! The whole thing just sounds like Daily Mail hunting for a story that doesn't really exist unless they ignore the key safety trials and sports trials are totally separate events.

Kanstantsin Sivtsov was banned for 4 years for EPO positive in 2018 on June 23.
Showing it's still being used. On the other hand, if it gets approved for a Covid treatment it also should show that there's plenty around for hospitals to actually get a hold of as well.

Showing it's still being used. On the other hand, if it gets approved for a Covid treatment it also should show that there's plenty around for hospitals to actually get a hold of as well.
This is what wiki had to say about it.
"On 5 September 2018, the UCI announced that an out of competition test had resulted in an adverse analytical finding of Erythropoietin in a sample collected 31 July 2018. Siutsou was provisionally suspended pending the result of any B sample test.[7] This followed his back injury sustained whilst carrying out a recon of the time trial at the Giro earlier that year.[8]

On 23 June 2020, he was given a four year ban for doping using EPO.[9]"

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS