• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General Doping Thread.

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This can change everything.
Or then again not.
WADA acknowledges that some athletes may be concerned when viewing this documentary. However, this possibility is well known within the anti-doping community. It is considered to be a very rare occurrence based on the small number of such cases that have arisen historically, and its potential is scientifically limited to a very small number of prohibited substances that could be absorbed through the skin into someone’s system (for example, the anabolic steroid, clostebol).
That's from WADA's response. They continue:
WADA looks forward to publication of a peer-reviewed paper in a scientific journal, as announced by the experiment’s authors in the documentary, so that the results can be properly analyzed. With this information, WADA will be able to assess whether any new data has been brought to light. WADA continually adapts its methods and processes as scientific evidence is revealed, including by the adjustment of decision limits for some substances, as demonstrated by the Agency’s recent measures taken in relation to potential contamination cases connected to meat and diuretics.
Do try and remember there's more than one side in a discussion.

I don't follow Triathlon but I just saw that Jan Frodeno set last sunday a new World Record in a discipline where he did 180km by himself (it was a two men race with Lionel Sanders) in the bike with an average of 45.9 km/h!! This after doing 3800m of swimming at 1'12''/km and before running a marathon at a pace of 3'53''/km.

What's preventing this 39 year old guy from coming to cycling and beat guys 10 years younger than him in a TT? How tight are controls in triathlon or are they non-existant in the IRONman variety?

I don't follow Triathlon but I just saw that Jan Frodeno set last sunday a new World Record in a discipline where he did 180km by himself (it was a two men race with Lionel Sanders) in the bike with an average of 45.9 km/h!! This after doing 3800m of swimming at 1'12''/km and before running a marathon at a pace of 3'53''/km.

What's preventing this 39 year old guy from coming to cycling and beat guys 10 years younger than him in a TT? How tight are controls in triathlon or are they non-existant in the IRONman variety?

I think triathlon is a dope-heavy sport. However this record was set under almost perfect conditions, apart from the weather, which wasn't advantagious, but obviously they thought of everything else to get this record, with the route and all turns chosen specifically to have the fastest time.

Casually swimming at 14 m/s, almost 6 times faster than the fastest swimmer in history and 3.5 times faster than he can run. A-ma-zing!

• Haha
Reactions: SafeBet

I follow it and I think the controls are pretty minimal for Ironman although this wasn’t an Ironman sanctioned event. They did claim to do testing but that doesn’t mean much when it’s organized by the athletes themselves. It is well known triathletes peak in their mid 30s at the full distance and the general progression is ITU -> Half IM -> full IM which Jan actually did get gold at the ITU distance many years ago.

That said I’d be very surprised if he’s clean. I’d be really interested to see how a top pro cyclist would do in a 180km time trial. I know GT has talked about doing triathlon after cycling which would give a good data point.

Andrew Talansky has a couple top 10 GT overall finishes and some good TT results and still has weaker bike leg results than many guys in tri including Frodeno.

That said I’d be very surprised if he’s clean. I’d be really interested to see how a top pro cyclist would do in a 180km time trial. I know GT has talked about doing triathlon after cycling which would give a good data point.

Andrew Talansky has a couple top 10 GT overall finishes and some good TT results and still has weaker bike leg results than many guys in tri including Frodeno.
Fomer/current pro cyclist Cameron Wurf was faster on the bike than Frodeno by 1:18 at the '19 Kona (it was also the fastest bike time on that day).

We're not far off the day when athletes will be found hanging from wardrobes with satsumas stuffed in their mouth:
A Hot Fitness Trend Among Olympians: Blood Flow Restriction
Some athletes in Tokyo are indulging in a trendy technique to enhance the effects of training and stimulate recovery. Credit a Japanese former power lifter.

Every four years, the Summer Olympics shows the world the latest training or recovery method the greatest athletes have taken up. In 2016, many swimmers had red circular marks on their skin from “cupping,” an ancient Chinese practice involving suction on sore muscles and tendons. This year, the hot thing appears to be tourniquets. No, there is no outbreak of cuts. But the American swimmer Michael Andrew is wearing tourniquet-like bands in the practice pool. Galen Rupp, the defending bronze medalist in the marathon, sometimes straps similar bands to his legs while training. They are among the elite athletes who have become disciples of a practice known as blood flow restriction, which is exactly what it sounds like: cutting off blood flow to certain muscles for limited periods to both enhance the effects of training and stimulate recovery.
read on

I love that the article is from the New York Times, since most readers seem to think PEDs are a thing of the past, or just not used.

Just yesterday someone pointed out how Serena is in superb shape...and only uses resistance bands! Not even free weights.

The readers tend to be pretty well-informed on things, but for some reason they don't think PEDs exist in track and field, tennis, swimming...

Good MMA Doping headline:
‘It did not help’ - Dillashaw downplays EPO use, but ‘expert’ Sonnen reveals benefits of ‘favorite’ PED

Chael Sonnen is a troll but two good lines:

“EPO, of all the performance enhancers, I will tell you, personal experience here. I’m an expert in performance enhancers — for all the wrong reasons — but an expert nonetheless. EPO, without question, is my favorite,” Sonnen stated.

“Now because of USADA, we also now know how to take it and not get caught. I’m not going to say any more on that,” Sonnen said.

Triathlete pops positive for EPO following IC test:
The ITA reports that a sample collected from Yuliya Yelistratova, a triathlete from Ukraine, has returned an adverse analytical finding for recombinant erythropoietin (EPO)...The sample was collected by World Triathlon during an in-competition anti-doping control on 5 June 2021 in the scope of the 2021 Europe Triathlon Cup Dnipro held in Ukraine...The athlete, who was meant to participate in the Women’s Individual Event of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 on 27 July 2021, has been informed of the case and has been provisionally suspended
linkety link

I love that the article is from the New York Times, since most readers seem to think PEDs are a thing of the past, or just not used.

Just yesterday someone pointed out how Serena is in superb shape...and only uses resistance bands! Not even free weights.

The readers tend to be pretty well-informed on things, but for some reason they don't think PEDs exist in track and field, tennis, swimming...
That Tunisian kid who won the 400 free with a huge PB gain...at least he's facing a lot of skepticism...

I would agree that fans are blind to doping in tennis, and probably even swimming. But track and field is scrambling for some relevancy in this day and age - I think when people think of doping they think cycling first, track and field second.

This may, of course, depend on where you live, but here in the States track and field gets very little TV coverage. (For one watching running is boring, and two, there have just been too many doping scandals.)

That Tunisian kid who won the 400 free with a huge PB gain...at least he's facing a lot of skepticism...
On one hand I feel a bit for him, if an athlete from a big swimming nation would have done the same he'd face a lot less skepticism.
On the other hand it's easy to understand why so a huge PB gain will raise some eyebrows.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021
Visit site
The Australian women's 4 x 100m freestyle relay team won gold yesterday in the pool with a new world record of 3:29.69. They were 3 seconds ahead of second place with the rest of the field (positions 2-8) separated by only 3 seconds. In short they smashed everyone else.

If a doping nation (eg China, Russia etc) had been in first place in this race, would people be questioning the performance? The result doesn't look normal to me. I can't understand in a mature, highly competitive sport, how one team at the elite level can be so far ahead of everyone else.

The Australian women's 4 x 100m freestyle relay team won gold yesterday in the pool with a new world record of 3:29.69. They were 3 seconds ahead of second place with the rest of the field (positions 2-8) separated by only 3 seconds. In short they smashed everyone else.

If a doping nation (eg China, Russia etc) had been in first place in this race, would people be questioning the performance? The result doesn't look normal to me. I can't understand in a mature, highly competitive sport, how one team at the elite level can be so far ahead of everyone else.
According to the general public, Russia, China, and Lance Armstrong are the only dopers in sporting history.

TRENDING THREADS