• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General Doping Thread.

Page 55 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Lennert Van Eetvelt won a 'get out of gaol free' card on the lottery:

The French doping authority (AFLD) is dismissing the case of Lennert Van Eetvelt that they had started following a control on February 19th. In recent weeks the Lotto Dstny rider was perfectly able to substantiate the use of his nasal spray and the AFLD accepted this explanation. The matter is thus off the table and Lennert will now resume competition as soon as possible.

more

I’m guessing anyone found with Clenbuterol in their system during drug testing will now claim to have eaten U.S. pork products:

Luca (see previous post) should launch his appeal any day now. ;)

You may be already familiar with it but I believe the USADA changed the thresholds for positive tests of Clenbuterol in 2019 because some Mexican (among other producers) meat has so high concentration of it they deemed it was creating false positives. One notable case is star boxer Canelo, who was flagged in 2018 but IIRC benefited from a no violation ruling because of it (said he unknowingly consumed tainted Mexican meat).

Reactions: Sciatic
You may be already familiar with it but I believe the USADA changed the thresholds for positive tests of Clenbuterol in 2019 because some Mexican (among other producers) meat has so high concentration of it they deemed it was creating false positives. One notable case is star boxer Canelo, who was flagged in 2018 but IIRC benefited from a no violation ruling because of it (said he unknowingly consumed tainted Mexican meat).
I didn’t know about the increasing the thresholds.

I wish WADA would do some of their own research and conduct a study with a collection of volunteers who would eat huge hunks of roast pork from tainted pigs and determine what blood level a person can’t possibly reach by eating tainted meat. Then they could throw out all the excuses based on that.

Reactions: ThisFrenchGuy
I didn’t know about the increasing the thresholds.

I wish WADA would do some of their own research and conduct a study with a collection of volunteers who would eat huge hunks of roast pork from tainted pigs and determine what blood level a person can’t possibly reach by eating tainted meat. Then they could throw out all the excuses based on that.

To be exact, WADA introduced a threshold under which the test is still flagged, but is marked as adverse rather than atypical (if I use the parlance right) which allows for a follow up investigation to examine alleged contamination via meat (for instance).

I don't know if they conducted the studies themselves but it is seemingly motivated by several findings over the years, at least as early as 2011 there was talks of WADA amending the protocol.

Mexican meat notoriously is pointed as a problem (USADA also mentions Guatemala and China), I think there was a string of boxers that all were positive over a period of time.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ag...ed-from-giro-ditalia-after-tramadol-positive/
Quintana had two positives at the Tour, Baudin has had only one.
Interesting that only 64 samples were collected (if a rider must give two ("two dried blood samples provided by the rider on 24 May on the 17th stage") then that's only 32 riders tested in the entire Giro).
Either the UCI got lucky or they knew who to test.
(stage 17 was a sprinter's stage, half downhill and nothing harder then speed bumps to get over. Baudin finished 93 rd and given the same time as Dainese who won)

Reactions: SHAD0W93