• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
craig1985 said:
Are you sure? They never got invited to any of the ASO races in 2009 and had to go through the courts to get a ride in the Giro and the Vuelta.

The 16 teams covered by the September 2008 agreement and guaranteed Tour de France places in 2010 include Footon Servetto.
Even our hosts managed to get this right, but as the new site is so user friendly, I can't find it again on CN so here is a link to a simple explanation
http://www.cyclingfans.com/node/554

Other than La Punt, the TDS looks more like The Tour of Qatar.
Sad little course.
Anybody got the profile stats for La Punt?

Romandie will be won in the ITT again. Saturday, a mountain, the rest, much green expanse, but little else, I suspect.

Yep, The Dauphine wins, hands down.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Theo Eltink will not be a professional cyclist anymore.
Skil didn't prolong his contract and he hasn't found a new team.
Eltink had no wins as a pro.

I was kinda hoping he'd find a continental team or something, he did a few good GTs in the past and was always a useful domestique at Rabobank. Skil expected more of him and he really did not show anything there.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Patrick Lefevere said in an interview Allan Davis can't leave until his contract is bought off.
Astana should be able to pay that, since Lefevere also said Davis was whining about a better contract since the Tour Down Under. Lefevre obviously got Davis on the cheap when his name was still 'tainted'.

He also said his team is going to skip one of the following races in May: Ronde van Belgie, Giro d'Italia or Tour of California.
They will ride on home ground for sure. Quick Step is American owned I think, but the Giro is live on TV every day (as is the Ronde van Belgie) and they probably want to ride with Seeldraeyers in Italy.

So I'm guessing the first big team that unofficially canceled for the ToC is Quick Step.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
Patrick Lefevere said in an interview Allan Davis can't leave until his contract is bought off.
Astana should be able to pay that, since Lefevere also said Davis was whining about a better contract since the Tour Down Under. Lefevre obviously got Davis on the cheap when his name was still 'tainted'.

He also said his team is going to skip one of the following races in May: Ronde van Belgie, Giro d'Italia or Tour of California.
They will ride on home ground for sure. Quick Step is American owned I think, but the Giro is live on TV every day (as is the Ronde van Belgie) and they probably want to ride with Seeldraeyers in Italy.

So I'm guessing the first big team that unofficially canceled for the ToC is Quick Step.

I always thought they were just riding the ToC because of Specialized, their bike sponsor, which is based in California. Now that they're with Eddy Merckx, I can see why they'd skip.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:

Interesting info

FYI. Quick Step is a Belgium company. Now that they do not have a US bike sponsor don't look for them to do the big trip to Cali

craig1985 said:
Depends if Astana are going to California now, since they have any American riders on the team.

He and Astana are riding Specialized bikes, so there is a chance. Plus, I would love to the see look on Lance and Levi's face if he shows up. It would be positively unnerving for at least Lance.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
He and Astana are riding Specialized bikes, so there is a chance. Plus, I would love to the see look on Lance and Levi's face if he shows up. It would be positively unnerving for at least Lance.

Seeing Levi's reaction if Alberto then went onto win Levi's 'home tour' would be priceless. That wuld make my year TBH.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Berto's said on the record that the races he will ride are a certain set and the only question is whether or not he'll ride one of the Ardennes triplet, most likely the Flèche.

Tour of California is not an option.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken Quick-Step is owned by Mohawk Greenworks, which is an American company.
Probably won't make any difference, but there is a tie (if I'm correct , that is).

A

Anonymous

two of the trek/livestrong riders have joined bikepure.. Alex Dowsett and Ben King

wonder how JB feels about that..

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Basso re-signs with Liquigas until 2012 and has an option of a 3rd year.

In other news:

Fly V Australia Roster for 2010: Alessandro Bazzana (Ita), Hayden Brooks (Aus), Jonathon Cantwell (Aus), Jai Crawford (Aus), Benjamin Day (Aus), Charles Dionne (Can), Aaron Kemps (Aus), David Kemp (Aus), Benjamin Kersten (Aus), Darren Lill (RSA), Darren Rolfe (Aus), Bernard Sulzberger (Aus), David Tanner (Aus), Jay Thomson (RSA), Phillip Zajicek (USA).

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I hope he can win the Giro. He won't beat Contador or Andy Schleck in the mountains, rather he doesn't have the power to attack and drop the two of them, so he should put all his efforts into trying to win the Giro. Like Menchov did.

TRENDING THREADS