General News Thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
dimspace said:
Radio shack do deal with Nissan...

2ebvfci.png


Ooh, Sky have Jags? Nice
 
Jul 26, 2009
364
0
0
BroDeal said:

rock racing cracks me up, did anyone get a chance to see the semi trailer cab they used as a team bus at last years T of CALI.........it was funny watching the riders step in and out of it, wish i had a photo
 
lagartija said:
rock racing cracks me up, did anyone get a chance to see the semi trailer cab they used as a team bus at last years T of CALI.........it was funny watching the riders step in and out of it, wish i had a photo

I saw it. They really embrace the bad boys of cycling motif.
 
Mar 11, 2009
3,274
1
0
issoisso said:
You beat me to it you darn dirty octopus ;)

Hopefully this is the end of Riis

He'll probably find some new last-minute sponsors again. If not, I wonder who will shelve out enough money to get both Schlecks. Could be interesting if Schlecklet and Contador are both on the market after this season.
 
Mar 18, 2009
4,186
0
0
ak-zaaf said:
He'll probably find some new last-minute sponsors again. If not, I wonder who will shelve out enough money to get both Schlecks. Could be interesting if Schlecklet and Contador are both on the market after this season.

I've said it a trillion times and I'll say it again: Schlecks -> Radioshack at the end of this season. Zero doubt.
 
I would be surprised if they dont find another sponsor. They have an excellent team with riders who have the ability to shine in the highest profile races. They might have to take a slight cut, let a few guys go, but this team will stay alive.

But it would be sick if Contador, the Schlecks and the Canc would all be contract free in October. Thats four of the top cyclists in the world right there, feeding frenzy.
 
Mar 10, 2009
7,268
1
0
issoisso said:
I've said it a trillion times and I'll say it again: Schlecks -> Radioshack at the end of this season. Zero doubt.

Given the avg age of their top riders, they really need to infuse some fresh blood into the organization. Perhaps they'll be able to pick up the canc-man for the classics as well...
 
issoisso said:
I've said it a trillion times and I'll say it again: Schlecks -> Radioshack at the end of this season. Zero doubt.

I'd really hate to see the Schlecks become Armstrong's fluffers. But 2011, perhaps by then he's ready to retire for good?
 
Aug 6, 2009
1,901
1
0
issoisso said:
I've said it a trillion times and I'll say it again: Schlecks -> Radioshack at the end of this season. Zero doubt.

Do you have any basis for that certainty?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
zapata said:
I'd really hate to see the Schlecks become Armstrong's fluffers. But 2011, perhaps by then he's ready to retire for good?

But then, what motivation would Radio Shack have to keep sponsoring a team? I am not saying the Schlecks would not do what isso is saying, but when cycling finally goes into Lance remission, Radio Shack is out of here too.
 
Thoughtforfood said:
But then, what motivation would Radio Shack have to keep sponsoring a team? I am not saying the Schlecks would not do what isso is saying, but when cycling finally goes into Lance remission, Radio Shack is out of here too.

You're probably right. I don't know radioshack as a company, or as a sponsor of sports, but I guess their main focus is the american market? I'd never heard of the company before this july, actually. (Just as I'd probably never have heard of liquigas or quickstep either, if not for their sponsorship.) I was thinking, probably naively, that they might keep sponsoring the team after armstrong retires, seeing the value of being associated with the second best stage racer in the world. But I don't know if the name of Andy Schleck is one that rings a bell with potential Rs-customers?
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
zapata said:
You're probably right. I don't know radioshack as a company, or as a sponsor of sports, but I guess their main focus is the american market? I'd never heard of the company before this july, actually. (Just as I'd probably never have heard of liquigas or quickstep either, if not for their sponsorship.) I was thinking, probably naively, that they might keep sponsoring the team after armstrong retires, seeing the value of being associated with the second best stage racer in the world. But I don't know if the name of Andy Schleck is one that rings a bell with potential Rs-customers?

I'll go videotape people going in and out of the one near my house, and you will see that most of them wouldn't even know who Armstrong is.
 

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
3,853
0
0
Thoughtforfood said:
But then, what motivation would Radio Shack have to keep sponsoring a team? I am not saying the Schlecks would not do what isso is saying, but when cycling finally goes into Lance remission, Radio Shack is out of here too.

Is there a mandatory retirement age in Pro Cycing?
Couldn't Lance ride the Tour as long as he makes the stage time cuts?

Lance would find motivation as a rider/coach in support of ANYONE who could help keep Alberto from 8 TdF wins.

And not just finishing in the Laughing Group, but keep Lance around for his wacky antics off the bike!

Making wisecracks during communal team hotel dinners, putting poodle poop in a bag outside of Alberto's room knock on the door and run, making crank phone calls in the middle of the night, switching around team hotel garbage receptacles, etcetc

Also, RadioShack wants to increase the biz in Europe.
 
Thoughtforfood said:
I'll go videotape people going in and out of the one near my house, and you will see that most of them wouldn't even know who Armstrong is.

He! So the likely scenario is, 2011, schlecks go to bruyneels team, with a new, probably european sponsor?