• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 106 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
will10 said:
Luxembourg 0.6 million.

I'm not saying the NZ team will definitely happen but I wouldn't rule it out purely on the basis of population. Cycling there could explode in a year or two, fact is we don't know frankly.

It won't. No chance. Add to that that we are strongest on the track and I don't think a team with more than a handful of kiwis is an option, kiwi money perhaps. A GC contender may pop up, there is no predicting that, they are so rare it can happen anywhere, even Luxembourg.
But a country where cyclists are despised and it is only a matter of when, not if somebody will throw a bottle at you from their car, or just squeeze you off the road, kids are not going to start biking in the numbers to fill out a pro team roster. Wish it wasn't the case but it is.

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Parrulo said:
he is getting ready for the vuelta so will only be a preparation race. machado will also race it and he is aiming to lead RS at the vuelta (confirmed by thehog)

But will the Shack try to fit in Horner, Kloden or Brajkovic along with Machado?

I know Horner probably wouldn't. I think he might refocus for Utah and the USA Pro Cycling Challenge.

But I could see Kloden or Brajkovic shifting for the Vuelta, provided they get healthy of course.

kloden was going to ride it anyway so he isn't an issue. brajkovic broke his collarbone so he won't be in top shape for the vuelta, i highly doubt he will ride. i hope kloden gets better fast and his in good shape for the vuelta, machado could use riding along side some1 as experienced as kloden and can also use him to relieve some of the pressure he will be under. he isn't american so i doubt he will get endless opportunities to prove himself on a GT. if he fails at this vuelta you can expect to see him carrying bottles at next year's tour.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Well it's in Beijing, what do you expect? If you want really high mountains, you have to go elsewhere in China. In Beijing it's self it is pretty flat, obviously if you head towards the Great Wall (which is about three hours by bus from Beijing, it was from my hostel which is a 15 minute walk from the Forbidden City) that's where you will find some decent hills.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
will10 said:
Luxembourg 0.6 million.

I'm not saying the NZ team will definitely happen but I wouldn't rule it out purely on the basis of population. Cycling there could explode in a year or two, fact is we don't know frankly.

It is hardly a luxembourg team when you have only two riders in the team. Complete tokenism to on Leopard Trek's behalf to claim they are Luxembourgish team.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
It is hardly a luxembourg team when you have only two riders in the team. Complete tokenism to on Leopard Trek's behalf to claim they are Luxembourgish team.
They have a license from Luxembourg.

Where would you say they're from?

Or what about HTC with only four american riders, aren't they american?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
kjetilraknerud said:
They have a license from Luxembourg.

Where would you say they're from?

Or what about HTC with only four american riders, aren't they american?

I wouldn't debate you on that but the poster I quoted try to say that a small team like Luxembourg could have a team why not NZ. Ireplied with the fact the Leopard Trek are hardly Luxembourgish.

HTC and Leopard Trek are just multi national teams. They have no national identity unlike Garmin or BMC who have stronger links to the USA.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
kjetilraknerud said:
Fair enough. BMC are swiss to me, even if they ride on an american license ;)

I do see them more as swiss because of the sponsor being swiss and many of the riders being swiss but they are registered as being American.

They have 8 American's and 7 Swiss riders.

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Can somebody help me out with this whole Pro Tour license nonsense...so can every team lose its license based on "competitiveness" no matter how long their license runs?

Sophistic said:
Can somebody help me out with this whole Pro Tour license nonsense...so can every team lose its license based on "competitiveness" no matter how long their license runs?

Yes, that seems to be the case. Pro Tour teams need to be in the top 20 of the sporting value ranking if they have a running license to be sure. Top 15 of teams applying for a new license are also secure. Well, as long as this doesn't exceed 18 teams.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
if vasc. don't get massive results @ eneco, poland, css and vattenfall I think they are screwed.

will be a real shame :(

Remember it's not about this year's results it's about the points of the riders they have on the 15th of October. I don't really know how they got it for this year but I imagine the signing of Mosquera had something to do with it. So they got 2 chances left, they can buy some points to stay in (if they have the money) or Mosquera could get some serious points in the Vuelta as I'm pretty sure they're sick of this "we won't say if he's guilty or not" bull****, unless he gets suspended I reckon he'll ride the Vuelta.

janraaskalt said:
Yes, that seems to be the case. Pro Tour teams need to be in the top 20 of the sporting value ranking if they have a running license to be sure. Top 15 of teams applying for a new license are also secure. Well, as long as this doesn't exceed 18 teams.

So even if a team has a few years left on their contract, it means nothing if they're not in the top 20 of the ranking?

Garmin, Katusha, Lotto, QST and Saxo Bank run out at the end of this year btw. Vacansoleil's contract is until 2013.

"In order to maintain its ProTour licence, the team must have a certain number of points based on race results. At the moment, however, the team is dead last on that ranking, in 18th place with only 93 points. In comparison, the 17th ranked team, Quick Step, has 260 points while HTC-Highroad tops the ranking with 628 points."

How many points does a team actually need in order to maintain its position in the ProTour then? :confused:

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Ramira said:
Remember it's not about this year's results it's about the points of the riders they have on the 15th of October. I don't really know how they got it for this year but I imagine the signing of Mosquera had something to do with it. So they got 2 chances left, they can buy some points to stay in (if they have the money) or Mosquera could get some serious points in the Vuelta as I'm pretty sure they're sick of this "we won't say if he's guilty or not" bull****, unless he gets suspended I reckon he'll ride the Vuelta.

They apparently lack the funds.
Mosquera is more or less a lost cause. He has ridden I'n a very long time so he will be useless there even if he does ride, which he won't. Vasc are unlikely to make the 15 so being ethical is a priority at this point .

TRENDING THREADS