• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 105 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
amstel is much tougher then people give it credit for. it has monument like distance and extremely hard hills all the way till the uphill sprint on the cauberg.

rui costa has already shown potential on the hills and on the classics. he rode the 4 spring monuments as a neo pro and did well on all of them, in fact at lbl that year he was pulling the peloton with btw 30 and 20k to go(around la redoutte) it may not sound all that great but we are talking about a just turned 22 year old on his first year that had been riding non stop since march.

i honestly think he is getting a bit ahead of himself, even gilbert only became a serious contender for LBL in 2009 when he was 26 or so and costa is only 24.

but still i like the ambition.

oh and a side note the first race of the season for costa was AGR where he DNF'd due to complete lack of form, then he DNF'd F-W but he was actually able to finish lbl, yes he was the first rider out of the time cut but still i would say that its not bad to be able to finish lbl on your third racing day of the season

craig1985 said:
NZ Proteam by 2015:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pureblack-racing-pondering-proteam-status-in-2015

Good luck I say, although they are getting results on the American scene, so they obviously have something going for them, although once they go over to Europe it will be a different kettle of fish. Being WT ready by 2015 is a long shot IMO.

I would say their chances are so low at getting a PT license that if they overpromise to their sponsors we might have another Pegasus situation. Their chance might be if they have some big backers and go to Leopard Trek route with 2-3 New Zealanders and other than that a team of international stars back by NZ money. I doubt that would be their goal though since I think I've read before sometime that the idea is more in line with having mostly NZ riders.

Still, be fair to them, they're prepared to put the team together and build up to the top level with good results, and ascend the rankings as a progression. This is how it should be. It's not like magicking up a team out of thin air with lots of money, airs and graces and a huge sense of entitlement, as has become the vogue recently (Sky, Leopard, Radioshack, Pegasus, GreenEdge).

Of course, if Vaughters got his way with his stupid Franchise system PureBlack would have no chance, because Vaughters' idea is predicated on making sure nobody interrupts the hegemony of the top teams.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
If the Dutch weren't so lazy and colonized Australia and New Zealand when they were going to Indonesia, there would be more Dutch teams in the peloton.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
If the Dutch weren't so lazy and colonized Australia and New Zealand when they were going to Indonesia, there would be more Dutch teams in the peloton.
:eek: - I don't wanna live in such a country of which it's country's main industry is the sex trade.
craig1985 said:
NZ Proteam by 2015:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pureblack-racing-pondering-proteam-status-in-2015

Good luck I say, although they are getting results on the American scene, so they obviously have something going for them, although once they go over to Europe it will be a different kettle of fish. Being WT ready by 2015 is a long shot IMO.

Will never happen - New Zealand too small and Cricket and Rugby are very very popular sports over there.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
:eek: - I don't wanna live in such a country of which it's country's main industry is the sex trade.

Will never happen - New Zealand too small and Cricket and Rugby are very very popular sports over there.

24.jpg

May 25, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

And AFL, Cricket are super crazy popular over here. What sort of reasoning is that? Sure I agree with you, doesn't look likely but loads of teams have PT aspirations, even the Iranian team do.

Anyway, if the rumours are true with who is linked to the GE team then the Aussie and Dutchie teams are interlinked anyway :D (Langeveld, Weening <---> Matthews, Dennis, McEwen, Brown)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Tuarts said:
And AFL, Cricket are super crazy popular over here. What sort of reasoning is that? Sure I agree with you, doesn't look likely but loads of teams have PT aspirations, even the Iranian team do.

Anyway, if the rumours are true with who is linked to the GE team then the Aussie and Dutchie teams are interlinked anyway :D (Langeveld, Weening <---> Matthews, Dennis, McEwen, Brown)

Yes but Australia has a much bigger population therefore even though a smaller percentage of population follow cycling than compared to AFL or cricket, it can still be possible to have an Australian team based on the numbers who follow the sport and the number of professionals which Australia has.

May 25, 2010
Visit site
****ing rubbish again.

By that token we should get one either, because we only have a population just greater than New York. :rolleyes:

How on earth do you know "the numbers"? You can' put a number on those that follow cycling, in July or all year round.

Absurd arguments.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Not exactly sure where to put this. Thomas Voeckler after today's stage:

"If the 2004 Armstrong would have been here, I would have lost 5 minutes again. I'm sure he would have done serious damage to the group"

(on France 2)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Christian said:

"If the 2004 Armstrong would have been here, I would have lost 5 minutes again. I'm sure he would have done serious damage to the group"

(on France 2)

He only climbed 34 seconds faster than Vanendert in 2004.

Christian said:

(on France 2)

he just tries to keep a low profile and be humble.he's good at it.he said he will lose the jersey on luz ardiden for sure.no one will beat him and rolland in the alps too.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

Bit like cycling, a minority sport in the UK, but hey up popped Team Sky, who'd a thought it.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
will10 said:
Bit like cycling, a minority sport in the UK, but hey up popped Team Sky, who'd a thought it.

Yes but the UK is much much larger that NZ based on population.

UK: 60 million
NZ: 4.4 million

Cycling is a minority sport in the US but it has 4 teams. Why? Because even though based on a percentage it is not a highly followed sport the US has such a large market for many different sports that the US can have cycling teams as there is still a strong interesting based on number of people who follow the sport. Minority sports can still run strongly in the US as it is such a large country but NZ is a small country and it would be hard for it to work.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Yes but the UK is much much larger that NZ based on population.

UK: 60 million
NZ: 4.4 million

Cycling is a minority sport in the US but it has 4 teams. Why? Because even though based on a percentage it is not a highly followed sport the US has such a large market for many different sports that the US can have cycling teams as there is still a strong interesting based on number of people who follow the sport. Minority sports can still run strongly in the US as it is such a large country but NZ is a small country and it would be hard for it to work.

Luxembourg 0.6 million.

I'm not saying the NZ team will definitely happen but I wouldn't rule it out purely on the basis of population. Cycling there could explode in a year or two, fact is we don't know frankly.