• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 115 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
This post is comedy gold!

Since your never biased to BMC or Cadel :D, i'm sure you can understand that an in-form Menchov would be able to stay with Evans when he accelerates in his sprint and then pass him because he has more quickness. The thing is, as Mellow Velo said, Menchov is not usually in great form, and that means when Evans goes from 300 meters Menchov would barely be able to stay with him, and wouldnt be able to pass him.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Even so, I would still contend that Evans' turn of speed is faster. The fact that we rarely see Menchov's turn of speed means you can't really say that it is that good as it is an anomaly.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
That is menchov tho.

on a whole no one doubts evans is a better cyclist. But in peak I dunno. I do think Evans is the better punchy rider, but some of the speed I have seen menchov display in the past is probably better the evans. Evans usually wins races with intelligence and power.

It's probably a moot point, but it isn't comical gold. Anyone remember that sprint menchov did in giro 09' (intermediate) that was very quick.

maltiv said:
EBH is going too and will probably be Sky's leader. I can't see Gerrans winning if Gilbert is there.

I think Gilbert could only win if he drops riders like Goss. And that will take a lot of work. And that would require him to nearly peak for it which would screw up his WC. However he is remarkably consistent throughout this whole year. I still think Gerrans would be a dark horse.

Timmy i find it odd that you say that Evans is better than Menchov. Is it because he left Rabo or because Cadel won the TDF. Because i think on other posts you and a few others said Menchov was better ( love Menchov for his Vuelta/ Giro but still ). Also Menchov has never won a classic. Evans is a special type of rider who can match ( classic type riders on their own turf )/ i am sort of supporting your view he is better......

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
greenedge said:
I think Gilbert could only win if he drops riders like Goss. And that will take a lot of work. And that would require him to nearly peak for it which would screw up his WC. However he is remarkably consistent throughout this whole year. I still think Gerrans would be a dark horse.

Timmy i find it odd that you say that Evans is better than Menchov. Is it because he left Rabo or because Cadel won the TDF. Because i think on other posts you and a few others said Menchov was better ( love Menchov for his Vuelta/ Giro but still ). Also Menchov has never won a classic. Evans is a special type of rider who can match ( classic type riders on their own turf )/ i am sort of supporting your view he is better......

have you seen gilbert ride this year?

regarding menchov, i always said evans was a better all round rider (who could doubt this?), even acf will attest to this. But on peak I disagree evans is a better GT rider. TDF changed nothing imo for the riders.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
That is menchov tho.

on a whole no one doubts evans is a better cyclist. But in peak I dunno. I do think Evans is the better punchy rider, but some of the speed I have seen menchov display in the past is probably better the evans. Evans usually wins races with intelligence and power.

It's probably a moot point, but it isn't comical gold. Anyone remember that sprint menchov did in giro 09' (intermediate) that was very quick.

You do make a good point that Evans more rides with power as his wins on the Mur de bretagne (tdf) and in Macerata (T-A) were more long drawn out sprints where Evans just rode such a hard tempo that people couldn't catch up or go around him.

Menchov being a better sprinter than Evans is still debatable imo but that's alright ;)

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
You do make a good point that Evans more rides with power as his wins on the Mur de bretagne (tdf) and in Macerata (T-A) were more long drawn out sprints where Evans just rode such a hard tempo that people couldn't catch up or go around him.

Menchov being a better sprinter than Evans is still debatable imo but that's alright ;)

Yeah thats what I was trying to say before. He can out power other riders in the final sprint. He isn't necessarily quicker

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
have you seen gilbert ride this year?

regarding menchov, i always said evans was a better all round rider (who could doubt this?), even acf will attest to this. But on peak I disagree evans is a better GT rider. TDF changed nothing imo for the riders.

Most of the time when Menchov/ Evans go head to head Menchov has not peaked. Some years he rides to support others ( 07 TDF for Rasmussen ) and is then able to win the GT's. In 10 Menchov did not have a broken bone/ never wore the yellow jersey. Menchov has maybe not managed his age as well as Evans ( though the Vuelta will probably change this ). Menchov has never fully taken on Contador either. In 06 in Evan's first TDF as undisputed leader he beat him.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
greenedge said:
Most of the time when Menchov/ Evans go head to head Menchov has not peaked. Some years he rides to support others ( 07 TDF for Rasmussen ) and is then able to win the GT's. In 10 Menchov did not have a broken bone/ never wore the yellow jersey. Menchov has maybe not managed his age as well as Evans ( though the Vuelta will probably change this ). Menchov has never fully taken on Contador either. In 06 in Evan's first TDF as undisputed leader he beat him.

Menchov was in 5 of the 6 GTs Contador won.

El Pistolero said:
Menchov was in 5 of the 6 GTs Contador won.

menchov also has 3 GT's at 33 while evans had none. what makes it impossible for him to win the tour at 34? evans did it. he can also win the vuelta this year.

also nice for you GE to auto roll the broken bone excuse amazing how even after evans won a tour you can't stop rolling them excuses for all his failures

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
greenedge said:

Evans has never come close to a fully fit matured contador either ;)

I think Menchov's third place in the 2010 TDF was a quality performance. That does not mean I think he would have beaten Evans this year and Menchov said himself it was a blessing that he did not ride the Tour. His Giro performance was untypical and he has not really hit form this year.

auscyclefan94 said:

They are both diesels. Evans clearly has the edge in one day races but they are very similar. Good time triallists and strong over three weeks. Evans is a better descender and bike handler and Menchov possibly has the edge in time trials. As for the sprint I would say Evans is a bit more versatile especially uphill sprints where only Gilbert and possibly Contador would be better than Evans but on short steep climbs, Evans is superior to Contador. Evans just uses his strength to grind away on the short climbs. Contador prefers the longer climbs. Be good to see Menchov back next year in the TDF.

Not sure if this is the right place, but it was posted on twitter last night that the Swordsman died on August 1st. not sure what the cause of death was but he had been complaining on twitter that he hadn't been feeling well but didn't have access to medical care (was unemployed but not sure why he didn't go to the emergency room). In any event, I didn't know him other than his forum responses, but thought I would pass along the information to this forum in case someone did and was wondering why he hadnt made an appearance lately.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
Not sure if this is the right place, but it was posted on twitter last night that the Swordsman died on August 1st. not sure what the cause of death was but he had been complaining on twitter that he hadn't been feeling well but didn't have access to medical care (was unemployed but not sure why he didn't go to the emergency room). In any event, I didn't know him other than his forum responses, but thought I would pass along the information to this forum in case someone did and was wondering why he hadnt made an appearance lately.

:eek:

If that is the case, that is so sad, I always thought he had something to offer on this site when it came to posting news stories, and to read news like that, wow that is incredible, really not sure what to say right now, other then I'm in complete shock.

RIP and all that :(

Guess my sig gets longer...

Not another death:(

I really liked that guy.......yeah sometimes he was a bit biased (but so are all of us when it comes down to it) but he always had something insightful to add to the conversation and i always enjoyed reading his posts.

I knew he was unemployed.....he used to tell us but as Publicus said he should have gone to emergency room......I guess he may not have because of American Health care system....have only ever heard bad things about it (i have no real idea how it works)

John, (if that is your name.....i read craigs sig) hopefully you find peace with yourself.......you were a respected forum member and someone who i will miss around here.

RIP buddy:(

Publicus said:

Such sad news. The swordsman was one of the best posters of this forum. He wasn't the typical forum poster that just said what he thought, but always did research before making a post.

Another victim of the healthcare in the US. Incredible that people are against social healthcare.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:

a very sad news !

i thought theswordsman was one of the more intelligent and passionate fans of cycling on this forum...always, adding content and always being honest abut his feelings.

i am very sad.