• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 153 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Havetts said:
Disappointing Dutch cycling fan can't watch it, I usually watch cycling on Sporza cause the commentary is alot better often. This is a shame :(

You could always use a proxy and watch it :p

Next year I'll open a topic to warn you Dutchies when it airs on TV(it was after the cyclocross race of Igorre this year).

Ryo is right about the Belgian promotion thingie though, but it still was a great 80 minutes vid :D

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
they completely forgot Tondo tho.

Problem with Belgian overview I have is this. When they were sucky in Ardennes they showed Ardennes in the overview as a 1 minute flash. When Gilbert wins races there they make it 30 min overview of ardennes :eek:

That was my only gripe with the vid to be honest.

As for your second point, the vid is targetted at a Belgian audience, so you can't really complain about it imo. Like most other countries, people just want to see "their" stars.

They pretty much just showed the finish of the Ardennes classics though.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
If they did a Dutch equivalent (if they do that is) of the Belgian program I'm sure they will skip right past Rabobank's TDF, with exception of Lulu's stage win, and skip every bit of Gesink's misfortune of constantly ending up on the tarmac :p

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
BMC Racing team rosters announced for Qatar & Oman - BMC Racing Team website

Tour of Qatar
Adam Blythe (GBR), Philippe Gilbert (BEL), Thor Hushovd (NOR), Martin Kohler (SUI), Klaas Lodewijk (BEL), Taylor Phinney (USA), Michael Schär (SUI), Danilo Wyss (SUI).

Tour of Oman
Alessandro Ballan (ITA), Adam Blythe (GBR), Martin Kohler (SUI), Klaas Lodewijk (BEL), Taylor Phinney (USA), Marco Pinotti (ITA), Michael Schär (SUI), Danilo Wyss (SUI).

Lodewijk, Pinotti, Hushovd & Gilbert will debut at these two races for BMC.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Pure Black Racing likely to drop racing internationally due to lack of sponsors. The reasons cited are the economic situation and the RWC 2011. Although, in an interview to radiosport Greg Cross, the team's Business Director, stated that he won't blame investors for picking the RWC over Pure Black Racing, good man.

http://pureblackracing.com/2011/12/lack-of-sponsorship-funding-places-international-racing-plans-in-jeopardy/

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/6123401/Pure-Black-Racing-team-ends-pro-circuit-dream

craig1985 said:
If they did a Dutch equivalent (if they do that is) of the Belgian program I'm sure they will skip right past Rabobank's TDF, with exception of Lulu's stage win, and skip every bit of Gesink's misfortune of constantly ending up on the tarmac :p
Actually there has been a Dutch equivalent, and no they didn't skip that part. Dutch media are incredibly opportunistic, much more cynical than their Belgian counterparts.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Martin has now been tipped by merckx to be a future gc contender. I guess that means he is dommed for failure like Gesink, Cancellara & Gilbert are at winning the tour.

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Martin has now been tipped by merckx to be a future gc contender. I guess that means he is dommed for failure like Gesink, Cancellara & Gilbert are at winning the tour.

Yup. Turns out that according to Merckx, Martin is capable of landing on the podium at next years Tour.

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
List of Pro-Conti teams released

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/10639/UCI-releases-final-list-of-Pro-Continental-teams-for-2012.aspx

UCI Pro Continental teams for 2012:

Previous candidates for ProTeam licence:

Project 1T4I (Ned)
Team Europcar (Fra)

Teams registered following meetings of the Licence Commission on 18 and 23 November:

Andalucia (Esp)
Champion System Pro Cycling Team (Chn)
Farnese Vini (Gbr)
Rusvelo (Rus)
Utensilnord Named (Irl)

Teams previously registered in the second division on 2 November:

Accent Jobs – Willems Veranda’s (Bel)
Acqua & Sapone (Ita)
Androni Giocattoli (Ita)
Bretagne – Schuller (Fra)
Caja Rural (Esp)
Cofidis, Le Credit En Ligne (Fra)
Colnago – Csf Inox (Irl)
Colombia – Coldeportes (Col)
Landbouwkrediet (Bel)
Saur – Sojasun (Fra)
Spidertech Powered By C10 (Can)
Team Netapp (Ger)
Team Type 1 – Sanofi (USA)
Topsport Vlaanderen – Mercator (Bel)
Unitedhealthcare Pro Cycling Team (USA)

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/1...Continental-teams-for-2012.aspx#ixzz1gL19oNfE

auscyclefan94 said:

Haha. In a way I agree, but Tony der Panzerwagon is still young, and if Leip can make podium then maybe Tony can too someday. I agree more with Merckx's appraisal of Boonen in the article.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/merckx-questions-boonens-motivation

Eric8-A said:
Yup. Turns out that according to Merckx, Martin is capable of landing on the podium at next years Tour.

I though that is what he said for this years TDF as well??? I am not going to back that prediction.

Sad about Pure Black. Hopefully some riders like ( Atkins ) who are still young can get contracts with teams around the world. Atkins however is at Livestrong and on the Team list it still has Dale Parker??? Gudsell could probably return to Europe in a PC team.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Duque's bike for next year:

386197_10150598500848943_605508942_11707831_1352630556_n.jpg

May 6, 2009
Visit site
2012 UCI Pro-Continental Teams
Accent Jobs – Willems Veranda’s (Bel)
Acqua&Sapone (Ita)
Andalucia (Spa)
AndroniGiocattoli (Ita)
Bretagne - Schuller (Fra)
Caja Rural (Spa)
Champion System Pro Cycling Team (Chn)
Cofidis, Le Credit En Ligne (Fra)
Colnago – CSF INOX (Irl)
Colombia – Coldeportes (Col)
Team Europcar (Fra)
Farnese Vini (GBr)
Landbouwkrediet (Bel)
Project 1T4I (Ned)
Rusvelo (Rus)
Saur – Sojasun (Fra)
Spidertech Powered By C10 (Can)
Team Netapp (Ger)
Team Type 1 – Sanofi(USA)
TopsportVlaanderen – Mercator (Bel)
Unitedhealthcare Pro Cycling Team (USA)
Utensilnord Named (Irl)

Is Rusvelo a feeder team for Katusha? I've heard no information about them.

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
greenedge said:
I though that is what he said for this years TDF as well??? I am not going to back that prediction.

Going into this year's Tour, I knew he wasn't capable of his top 5 that he said he was aiming for. When he started to crack, he made an excuse saying he was sick. I called BS on that given that magically, he was able to win the final TT.

Zam_Olyas said:
Meanwhile, tottenham spurs are mistaking sir chris hoy to be chris foy (football ref) and are having a go at him on twitter. Mr foy was the ref for last night pl match between spurs and stoke, where spurs lost.

Thanks for that.

Read an article on it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/dec/12/chris-hoy-not-chris-foy-spurs

The abuse leveled is just DISGUSTING.

Spurs should be threatened with points deduction for this.

And Hoy continued to recieve abuse even after he pointed out they had the wrong guy, though I think it would have been nice of him to add that nobody should receive this kind of abuse for doing their job.

Eric8-A said:
Going into this year's Tour, I knew he wasn't capable of his top 5 that he said he was aiming for. When he started to crack, he made an excuse saying he was sick. I called BS on that given that magically, he was able to win the final TT.

And he was in the break on stage 17. Oh well he just was in not great form at the start but even if he had great form i think he would be afraid to go out of his bubble as a 3 week stage racer and would have still helped Cav. He had an eye towards the final ITT from day one.

TRENDING THREADS