• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 172 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Ater reading this piece of drivel disguised as a blog, I'm left with just one question:

Who the **** is Anthony Tan?
A cycling journalist who hates the Cyclingnews Forum

I'll quote you a part of his stories with Richie Porte

RP: “There’s so many guys that are going to criticise you, aren’t there? That’s probably more my problem; you do take it personally. I had some **** written about me on the Cyclingnews forum...”

AT: Oh, don’t go there, man. That’s an evil place!

RP: "Oh, isn’t it!” he says, chortling at the silliness of venturing there in the first place, ill-founded criticism and vitriol being par for the course on Internet forums.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
lol why does he hate the cyclingnews forum? i lol'd hard reading his blog :p

Good question. COnsidering his blog is not that dissimilar to a thread on here were a topic is set and people post and discuss it I find it strange that he criticises us all so much.

I opened an entire thread dedicated to his crap.

EDIT: Here's the thread.

auscyclefan94 said:
A cycling journalist who hates the Cyclingnews Forum

I'll quote you a part of his stories with Richie Porte

theyoungest said:
And exactly how far does he have his head up his ***?

Isnt this the all knowing expert who predicted that Samuel Sanchez would lose 4 minutes in the Grenoble tt?

How someone claiming to be a cycling journalist can confuse a white 6 foot Euskaltel rider with a darker skinned 5 foot Katusha one, just because they are both Spanish, is beyond me, though I dont remember if ti was tan or the other Australian presenter.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Tbh, I haven't seen much smack talk about Richie Porte here. Sure, a lot of people don't see a genuine GT contender in him, but he kinda proved this year that he isn't one. He's a good TTer and can climb a little bit, but that's about it in my opinion.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
It would have been better if you had not given this guy publicity, but since we have already crossed the rubicon, I see that he calls his detractors cowards, becasue they have the respect not to critiscse him to his face.

Anyone gets the chance, tell him hes an idiot:)

I didnt give him publicity. He decided by himself that he hated this place and I made a thread ripping his arguments and insults towards us to shreads. I do think he is an idiot because he is one.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if already posted.

I've just read a little piece on "A Bola" about Constantino Zaballa. At 33 years old, he will leave road cycling and focus on XCO. While at Miche, he got no wage and only some of his expenses were covered. He says he's tired of this situation. (He came from CC-Loulé, where, according to rumours, it wasn't any different).

Carlos Baltazar will also leave cycling due to financial reasons. His team wouldn't cover the travelling expenses beetween his hometown and Barbot's headquarters. Once a proeminent rider on the portuguese U23, he rode last season as an elite for Barbot-Efapel. Tremendous job on the Volta a Portugal as a domestique.

canyonball said:
Not sure if already posted.

I've just read a little piece on "A Bola" about Constantino Zaballa. At 33 years old, he will leave road cycling and focus on XCO. While at Miche, he got no wage and only some of his expenses were covered. He says he's tired of this situation. (He came from CC-Loulé, where, according to rumours, it wasn't any different).

Carlos Baltazar will also leave cycling due to financial reasons. His team wouldn't cover the travelling expenses beetween his hometown and Barbot's headquarters. Once a proeminent rider on the portuguese U23, he rode last season as an elite for Barbot-Efapel. Tremendous job on the Volta a Portugal as a domestique.
It's a shame Baltazar didn't get a contract. He chased down everything in last years Volta. Sometimes no one could even figure out why but he was at the front a huge amount of time.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Geez, there seems to be a lot of posting by people who are "unoccupying the forum" today, guess they just cant stay away. Even a new thread created by an unoccupier!! And here I was thinking I'd test ACFs resolve by sledging Cadel to see if I'd could get him to bite.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Ater reading this piece of drivel disguised as a blog, I'm left with just one question:

Who the **** is Anthony Tan?

very difficult to read, such a tool.

I can honestly say if i met him I would shake his hand and tell him his cycling knowledge is equivalent to my toothbrush.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
PCutter said:
Geez, there seems to be a lot of posting by people who are "unoccupying the forum" today, guess they just cant stay away. Even a new thread created by an unoccupier!! And here I was thinking I'd test ACFs resolve by sledging Cadel to see if I'd could get him to bite.

Can't you see how the forum has ground to a halt without them! Wait...

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
very difficult to read, such a tool.

I can honestly say if i met him I would shake his hand and tell him his cycling knowledge is equivalent to my toothbrush.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/01/news/opinion-the-elephant-in-the-room_203589

Saturday evening, as I made my way up a flight of stairs from street level and into the foyer of the Adelaide Hilton, Alejandro Valverde of the Movistar team was there, apparently on his phone.

We exchanged furtive glances but eye contact was made. I had not spoken to him at any length since April 23, 2006 – the day he won Liège-Bastogne-Liège, and a few days after he triumphed atop the Mur de Huy to win La Flèche Wallonne – but I’m sure he knew what I was, if not who I am.
Above all, he certainly knew what I was thinking.
What are you doing here? From a moral point of view, do you even deserve to be back in the WorldTour? Why haven’t you admitted to your links with Operación Puerto and collaborating with Dr. Fuentes? What happened to the pledge made by ProTeams not to hire ex-dopers, upon returning to competition, for at least two years? Or is it that as phony as a fart cushion?

jesus christ is there in the world a bigger skumbag than this guy?indeed i'm sure valverde remembers you from 6 years ago and can read your mind dumbfucc

Kvinto said:
I wonder how many invitations to cobbled races can Pippo secure to his new team.

I'd say that they'll get invitations to pretty much every cobbled race they apply for. The competition for wildcards is a lot easier for those races than for GTs, because there are more spots to give out and less of the ProConti teams who build their season around them. Once you give places to, say, the three Belgian outfits and to 1t4i, there really aren't too many teams who can bring a similarly competitive squad.

7 is a lot of wildcard places, and it's not as if there's going to be fierce competition from Coldeportes or Caja Rural for those spots.

I wonder if his team can provide him with any kind of support in those races though. There could be a few riders sent to cobbled races who'll be about as overjoyed to be there as Euskaltel.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Zinoviev Letter said:
I'd say that they'll get invitations to pretty much every cobbled race they apply for. The competition for wildcards is a lot easier for those races than for GTs, because there are more spots to give out and less of the ProConti teams who build their season around them. Once you give places to, say, the three Belgian outfits and to 1t4i, there really aren't too many teams who can bring a similarly competitive squad.

7 is a lot of wildcard places, and it's not as if there's going to be fierce competition from Coldeportes or Caja Rural for those spots.

I wonder if his team can provide him with any kind of support in those races though. There could be a few riders sent to cobbled races who'll be about as overjoyed to be there as Euskaltel.

Exactly. Without Pozzato, who by the way may suck on cobbles once more (i don't want it to happen of course) Farnese Vini is pretty much the same as Euskaltel. But you're right - it's hard to find 7 PROF teams with decent cobbled squads.

TRENDING THREADS