• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 178 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
Maybe the "Bratva" threaten somebody or something lol

Then, why is Katusha out? ;) Seriously, what is Rusvelo? An obscure team of Katusha's 'ballast' and some youngsters with obscure prospects and yet first they are hyped to be riding AGR (i still don't know where is this news from) and now they officially get an Strade Bianche invitation while a lot of more deserved teams are out :rolleyes:

Kvinto said:
Then, why is Katusha out? ;) Seriously, what is Rusvelo? An obscure team of Katusha's 'ballast' and some youngsters with obscure prospects and yet first they are hyped to be riding AGR (i still don't know where is this news from) and now they officially get an Strade Bianche invitation while a lot of more deserved teams are out :rolleyes:

Rusvelo appears to be an all-Russian team linked to Cycling Russia, more about the Olympics than anything else. It is only indirectly linked to Katyusha (Katyusha's feeder is, and continues to be, Itera-Katyusha). It appears to be a continuation and building up of the main body of the Russian national team that had been entering many stage races such as Murcia, Asturias, Qinghai Lake and so on, with a few prospects from the Russian domestic scene too. A few Itera-Katyusha guys there too; seems like the cream of the crop go on to Katyusha, the second tier go to RusVelo.

I don't know if they're linked to the old Lokomotiv team that used to do many of the same races, or the new Lokosphinx team that features a few of the other riders from those national teams - Sergey Shilov and Sergey Belykh being particularly notable in this respect with results in the Spanish domestic scene.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Rusvelo appears to be an all-Russian team linked to Cycling Russia, more about the Olympics than anything else. It is only indirectly linked to Katyusha (Katyusha's feeder is, and continues to be, Itera-Katyusha). It appears to be a continuation and building up of the main body of the Russian national team that had been entering many stage races such as Murcia, Asturias, Qinghai Lake and so on, with a few prospects from the Russian domestic scene too. A few Itera-Katyusha guys there too; seems like the cream of the crop go on to Katyusha, the second tier go to RusVelo.

I don't know if they're linked to the old Lokomotiv team that used to do many of the same races, or the new Lokosphinx team that features a few of the other riders from those national teams - Sergey Shilov and Sergey Belykh being particularly notable in this respect with results in the Spanish domestic scene.

Well, as far as i understand RusVelo is a team organized by Russian Cycling Federation, they are led by Heiko Salzwedel (who btw helped Hans-Michael Holczer with a job at Katusha (i read this somewhere recently) though officially these teams are not related) and their main objectives are olympic track (Lokosphinx seems to be another rather track team)... The official team presentation should take place 21 Feb, they should ride Algarve and Langkawi but what's the point of inviting them to Strade Bianche or this hype with AGR invitation? i dunno :confused:

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
teams for strade bianche

Pro Team Astana (KAZ)
BMC Racing Team (USA)
Garmin - Cervelo (USA)
Lampre - ISD (ITA)
Liquigas - Cannondale (ITA)
Team Movistar (ESP)
Radioshack - Nisssan (LUX)
Professional Team

Acqua & Sapone (ITA)
Colombia - Coldeportes (COL)
Colnago - CSF Inox (IRL)
Farnese Vini (GBR)
1T4I Project (NED)
Rusvelo (RUS)
Team Type 1 - Sanofi (USA)

So no Sky for Strade Bianche? LOL!!!

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
So no Sky for Strade Bianche? LOL!!!

despite the great parcours this is not a big race, and missing out on a wildcard is likely to anger fans more then sponsors. (and yes i do suppose sky would be some what upset, with italian sponsors and such, but still it isn't devestating)

regarding the agr at least the organisers are trying to encourage more attacks in the race (something ardennes neeed after the last few years)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Duartista said:
For sure? I know the organisers don't have to invite any, but maybe they will choose to after last year.

In other news, Catalunya is definitely on and will have TV coverage this year:

http://primerafila.elperiodico.com/autor/la-volta-o-el-vuelva-usted-manana/

Looks like there could be an impressive startlist, too.

Funny how you can have a great field with only Spanish climbers present :D

If Contador doesn't get banned he'll win Tirreno-Adriatico, Catalunya and Pais Vasco. This is the reason why Riis suggest Contador to start his season in San Luis, to be really sharp by March-April. He'll probably enter some Ardennes classics as well in good shape.

Hushovd will ride the 2012 Giro, against his will. He didn't know that he was going to do the Giro before VG (Norwegian newspaper) called him with the news. Hushovd then contacted BMC and found out that he indeed had to do the Giro.

BMC management seems really good :rolleyes:

maltiv said:
Hushovd will ride the 2012 Giro, against his will. He didn't know that he was going to do the Giro before VG (Norwegian newspaper) called him with the news. Hushovd then contacted BMC and found out that he indeed had to do the Giro.

Hushovd also doesn't seem great at communicating with team management... same kind of thing happened at Cervelo and at Garmin. Strange, he won an award from journalists because he's so approachable.

But does this mean his participation in the Tour is still up in the air?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:

Que?:eek:

It seemed both Thor and Cadel were fine with all that was sorted for the tour. Surprised that it has now changed.

Where did you find out that he contacted BMC and they told him he was doing the giro?

theyoungest said:
Hushovd also doesn't seem great at communicating with team management... same kind of thing happened at Cervelo and at Garmin. Strange, he won an award from journalists because he's so approachable.

But does this mean his participation in the Tour is still up in the air?
I have no idea, but that might be the plan. Giro-Tour has never worked particularly well for him before. Obviously it makes sense though that he starts the Giro when it it's in Denmark (will probably increase the amount of Norwegian spectators by 30000 or so) but sending him against his will is just ridiculous. A rider like Hushovd should be able to choose his own schedule.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Yep, BMC have confirmed it to me that he is along with Taylor Phinney!

I'd imagine that the team for the Giro would be

Ballan
Pinotti
Phinney
Hushovd
Santambrogio
Santaromita
Tschopp
Blythe
Wyss

TRENDING THREADS