• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 428 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Jagartrott said:
Jimmy Duquennoy has suddenly passed away - probably cardiac arrest. He was a 23-year-old pro with WB Aqua Protect Veranclassic.

First
Belgian pro cyclist Michael Goolaerts has died in hospital following a cardiac arrest during Paris-Roubaix. The rider was airlifted to hospital in Lille but died this evening surrounded by his loved ones. He was 23 years old.
and now Duquennoy ... what is going on?

Condolences to Duquennoy's family, friends, and teammates - they must be in shock.

Re: Re:

Robert5091 said:
Jagartrott said:
Jimmy Duquennoy has suddenly passed away - probably cardiac arrest. He was a 23-year-old pro with WB Aqua Protect Veranclassic.

First
Belgian pro cyclist Michael Goolaerts has died in hospital following a cardiac arrest during Paris-Roubaix. The rider was airlifted to hospital in Lille but died this evening surrounded by his loved ones. He was 23 years old.
and now Duquennoy ... what is going on?

Condolences to Duquennoy's family, friends, and teammates - they must be in shock.

See above, Turgis has to stop cycling due to heartproblems. Goolaerts also wasn't the first one IIRC. There have also been some footballers in recent history... Something in the water?

Wellens-De%20Gendt-kanB-U300667097460ejD-620x349@Gazzetta-Web_articolo.jpg

:exclaim: Wellens & De Gendt travelling 100km back home to Belgium by Bike from il Lombardia
read about it in Italiano here: https://www.gazzetta.it/Ciclismo/14-10-2018/de-gendt-wellens-ritorno-italia-belgio-300667097460.shtml

LaFlorecita said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Yes.. Very bad news. The route stopped at a road split which makes me think something bad happened
His phone lost signal as well. Isn't that weird? An accident wouldn't cause that..
Just hoping for the best :(

Yes, a bit weird that the ride uploaded....all devices I know of require you to press at least a couple of buttons/commands to stop, save then upload a ride......anyway not so important I guess now, hope it's not too serious

Andrea Tafi wants to ride Paris-Roubaix next year as a 52-year-old, 20 years after winning it. Apparently he is in contact with a Belgian PCT and has made himself available for the UCI to testing, which I think a rider needs to have been half a year before entering competition.

He did indeed ride a Hungarian 1.2 race this summer and finished in the peloton.

Could there really be space for something like this in modern cycling? I hope so.

Re:

tobydawq said:
Andrea Tafi wants to ride Paris-Roubaix next year as a 52-year-old, 20 years after winning it. Apparently he is in contact with a Belgian PCT and has made himself available for the UCI to testing, which I think a rider needs to have been half a year before entering competition.

He did indeed ride a Hungarian 1.2 race this summer and finished in the peloton.

Could there really be space for something like this in modern cycling? I hope so.
I hope not. This is just fantasy.

Alexandre B. said:
tobydawq said:

I hope not. This is just fantasy.

I just think that in a one day race, close to a hundred riders' roles are close to extremely anonymous and there always are a lot of DNFs. Especially the continental teams have spaces for riders who don't make any impression at all.

But yeah, I don't think it will happen either.