• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 50 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
Do the Schleck's have a sponsor yet? If I were a pro cyclist, I would be staying well clear f them until they had something sorted.

None that has been announced, but I recall Kim Andersen saying they've had the economics in order right from the very start.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
German squad for the World Championships:

Marcus Burghardt (BMC Racing Team)
Bert Grabsch (HTC-Columbia) (road and time trial)
André Greipel (HTC-Columbia)
Danilo Hondo (Lampre)
Christian Knees (Team Milram)
Sebastian Lang (Silence-Lotto)
Tony Martin (HTC-Columbia) (road and time trial)
Marcel Sieberg (HTC-Columbia)
Fabian Wegmann (Team Milram).

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
craig1985 said:
German squad for the World Championships:

Marcus Burghardt (BMC Racing Team)
Bert Grabsch (HTC-Columbia) (road and time trial)
André Greipel (HTC-Columbia)
Danilo Hondo (Lampre)
Christian Knees (Team Milram)
Sebastian Lang (Silence-Lotto)
Tony Martin (HTC-Columbia) (road and time trial)
Marcel Sieberg (HTC-Columbia)
Fabian Wegmann (Team Milram).

Looks really strong except of Wegmann.

They-called-him-Hondo will be a hard nut to crack, if Greipel cracks and Hondo can do his own thing.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Wegmann will be the one to stick in the break I'd assume. He's pretty good at that.

He is not that strong WEGMANN at this season.
New season, new luck and a new story.

But should do it for a breakaway together with some guys from Marocco or something like that, but nothing more. You are right.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
He is not that strong WEGMANN at this season.
New season, new luck and a new story.

But should do it for a breakaway together with some guys from Marocco or something like that, but nothing more. You are right.

his win at Eschborn-Frankfurt was pretty impressive. I would bring him.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
Norways squad for the Worlds RR wil be EBH, Hushovd and Alexander Kristoff (BMC).

Kristoff is the surprise choice instead of the experience of Arvesen but Kristoffs good season together with Arvesens injury plagued season tipped the scales.

Will be interesting to see how these guys go.
I'm not sure EBH is good enough yet.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
his win at Eschborn-Frankfurt was pretty impressive. I would bring him.

You seem to get impressed very easy. :D
This one was like a wrestling victory against not a very impressive field - arranged victory, as I wrote earlier.
But I don´t have any prove for that and there will never be.
Just hearsaying and this strange to watch finish support that.

Wegmann is nothing this season, compared to past seasons.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
You seem to get impressed very easy. :D
This one was like a wrestling victory against not a very impressive field - arranged victory, as I wrote earlier.
But I don´t have any prove for that and there will never be.
Just hearsaying and this strange to watch finish support that.

Wegmann is nothing this season, compared to past seasons.

Admittedly I haven't really kept tabs on him this season, and he does seem a little less quiet this season I guess. But I mean, in overall results not much has changed. If memory serves me right, he isn't a big winner (a win or two a season).

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Admittedly I haven't really kept tabs on him this season, and he does seem a little less quiet this season I guess. But I mean, in overall results not much has changed. If memory serves me right, he isn't a bigger winner (a win or two a season).

Believe me, as a German I watch him close and I also really like him.
He is perhaps a 85% Wegmann at this season. I don´t only look at "wins", but the whole trend and his riding style.

He just follows the trend of his Milram colleagues. :)

Cobblestoned said:
Believe me, as a German I watch him close and I also really like him.
He is perhaps a 85% Wegmann at this season. I don´t only look at "wins", but the whole trend and his riding style.

He just follows the trend of his Milram colleagues. :)

This is reflected at CQ - 144th with 298 points this year, as opposed to 65th with 629 last year.

But Wegmann is pretty consistent in the kind of events you might think relevant to this:

1st Frankfurt May Day Race
16th Liège-Bastogne-Liège
25th Amstel Gold Race

11th World Championships RR (Mendrisio)
7th GP de Wallonie
18th Flèche Wallonne
3rd GP Miguel Indurain
3rd Brabantse Pijl
2nd Montepaschi Eroica

7th World Championships RR (Varese)
10th Vattenfall Cyclassics (what? I guess he can sort of sprint then)
20th Olympic Games RR (Beijing)
1st German National Championships RR
4th Frankfurt May Day Race
22nd Liège-Bastogne-Liège
11th Amstel Gold Race
1st GP Miguel Indurain
6th Brabantse Pijl

9th World Championships RR (Stüttgart)
1st Rund um den Nürnberger Altstadt
26th Vattenfall Cyclassics
10th Flèche Wallonne
13th Amstel Gold Race
18th Brabantse Pijl

So yes, his results are rather lacking this year, but looking at his Worlds results and ability to be up there in the mix in those classics requiring a bit of climbing nous, as well as less mountainous races like Vattenfall, I'd say he's well worth having around the team.

One can also question, is he underperforming because of the team around him? Morale at Milram is low, the results aren't coming and the team, by many accounts, aren't really seeing themselves as anything more than a placeholder for German cycling. Perhaps in a different environment he'd be back where he was in terms of results. I hope so. But it's also worth remembering that he soldiered through much of last season with a back injury, and has had some injuries this season. Much as Igor Antón's 2009 was miserable compared to 2008/2010 because of injuries that took place at the end of the previous season, Wegmann's 2010 season could have been affected.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
This is reflected at CQ - 144th with 298 points this year, as opposed to 65th with 629 last year.

But Wegmann is pretty consistent in the kind of events you might think relevant to this:

16th Liège-Bastogne-Liège
25th Amstel Gold Race

11th World Championships RR (Mendrisio)
7th GP de Wallonie
18th Flèche Wallonne
3rd GP Miguel Indurain
3rd Brabantse Pijl
2nd Montepaschi Eroica

7th World Championships RR (Varese)
10th Vattenfall Cyclassics (what? I guess he can sort of sprint then)
20th Olympic Games RR (Beijing)
4th Frankfurt May Day Race
22nd Liège-Bastogne-Liège
11th Amstel Gold Race
1st GP Miguel Indurain
6th Brabantse Pijl

9th World Championships RR (Stüttgart)
1st Rund um den Nürnberger Altstadt
26th Vattenfall Cyclassics
10th Flèche Wallonne
13th Amstel Gold Race
18th Brabantse Pijl

So yes, his results are rather lacking this year, but looking at his Worlds results and ability to be up there in the mix in those classics requiring a bit of climbing nous, as well as less mountainous races like Vattenfall, I'd say he's well worth having around the team.

One can also question, is he underperforming because of the team around him? Morale at Milram is low, the results aren't coming and the team, by many accounts, aren't really seeing themselves as anything more than a placeholder for German cycling. Perhaps in a different environment he'd be back where he was in terms of results. I hope so. But it's also worth remembering that he soldiered through much of last season with a back injury, and has had some injuries this season. Much as Igor Antón's 2009 was miserable compared to 2008/2010 because of injuries that took place at the end of the previous season, Wegmann's 2010 season could have been affected.

So much work only to confirm me ?
Thanks.
I knew he has/had some health problems and this of course can/must be mentioned. But I learned from the LA-threads that injuries are just shabby excuses and didn´t mention them then. ;)

Anyway, I hope he will be in topform and in a good shape at the worlds.
And for next season: new season - new luck, cards are mixed again.
If we were talking about soccer now, I would have to pay some € into the phrases-pig. :D

Kurt Asle Arvesen is currently evaluating a number of proposals. He still has a contract with Team Sky for next season but he has also been offered the option of stepping off the bike to become a DS for Sky. On top of that he has also been approached by Team Schlux to either be a rider or a DS there as well though this is a less likely option for him since he is under contract with Sky.

TRENDING THREADS