• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 548 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
more threats of litigation surrounding the Tour of Britain, as the Isle of Wight council consider attempting to recover their hosting fee from the abandoned 2022 edition finishing stage
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/racin...f-legal-action-as-claims-reach-nearly-pound1m

which has been rumbling on since pretty much they cancelled the stage tbf, so whether this is really that significant news and a change in the councils approach...who knows, its just with BC apparently having also cancelled Sweetspots contract for the race, though not confirmed till all the lawyering is done with, it does leave everything in quite the mess.

While we non-Parisians look forward to the Olympics, the locals are not amused -
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67564177
...the city's own Mayor Anne Hidalgo said out of the blue that transport for next summer's Games would "not be ready in time".
Then it was announced that far from buses and metros being free for competition ticket-holders - as promised in the Paris bid for the Games - fares will actually double for the six weeks of the Olympics and Paralympics.
The police chief revealed that his security plan comprises no less than four separate exclusion zones around each Olympic venue - prompting the head of the hoteliers' union to say it was "so complicated I get a headache just looking at it".
And an Odoxa opinion poll showed that nearly one in two Françiliens - inhabitants of the Paris region - now thought the Games were a "bad thing". The 44% negative rating was double what it was in 2021.

The same poll found that 52% of Françiliens were considering leaving Paris for the duration of the Games. "Perceptions about the Games are reaching alert level," Odoxa reported.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
The course and profiles of the 50th Volta Algarve have been released. Wout Van Aert, Remco Evenepoel, Tadej Pogacar and Pidcock are planned to start (PCS) so this should be fun. It'll probably go between Pogacar and Evenepoel, and thanks to that 22km I might think it's more in the favour of Evenepoel.

Stage 1
01-etapa-perfil-1024x589.jpg

Stage 2
02-etapa-perfil-1024x695.jpg

Stage 3
03-etapa-perfil-1024x611.jpg

Stage 4
04-etapa-perfil-1024x621.jpg

Stage 5
05-etapa-perfil-1024x687.jpg

The course and profiles of the 50th Volta Algarve have been released. Wout Van Aert, Remco Evenepoel, Tadej Pogacar and Pidcock are planned to start (PCS) so this should be fun. It'll probably go between Pogacar and Evenepoel, and thanks to that 22km I might think it's more in the favour of Evenepoel.

Stage 1
01-etapa-perfil-1024x589.jpg

Stage 2
02-etapa-perfil-1024x695.jpg

Stage 3
03-etapa-perfil-1024x611.jpg

Stage 4
04-etapa-perfil-1024x621.jpg

Stage 5
05-etapa-perfil-1024x687.jpg
Made my day a bit brighter realizing it’s only 2 months till we can watch this!

Want to be part of a pro-team? Now is your chance!
https://cyclinguptodate.com/cycling...nd-fail-than-to-have-no-regrets-all-your-life
Pierre-Luc Périchon has just concluded his career as a professional cyclist, but the 37-years-old Frenchman has no plans of sitting still for the time being. In fact, Périchon appears to be working on a futuristic project, which should lead to the birth of a new team if everything goes well.

"I have many ideas," DirectVelo reports Périchon's words. "And I have outlined an initial economic plan. I'm giving myself a year: the goal is to start on January 1, 2025, with a team with a Professional license.

"The underlying idea is that of an innovative reality, which can also be supported by individuals, through the form of collective financing. The first person interested in a cycling team is the cycling enthusiast and I would like to give these enthusiasts the opportunity to be even closer to their heroes."
There's a lot of tin pot dictators left out there who can sponsor a team for some sportswashing, Kim Jung Un, some Afircan military guys, Burmese military, the Chinese (China, now there's a cycling nation!), the crypto guys and gals, lots of people!

Reactions: Sandisfan