• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 563 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's a lot worse this year than previously.

In Tokyo, the field was 130 riders, this time it's 90. And maximum team size has been reduced from 5 to 4.

It's hardly a bike race anymore.
I get irritated every time this comes up—for someone who for years used to really enjoy watching the Olympics it sucks that it has become classist ( and as we all know $-driven) and nationality-biased so that sports that they think are the big draw get so many more medals events and athletes participating.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Carapaz aside, as obviously he's a top-tier athlete and the circumstances are different, I was reading a bit before about how classism unfortunately begins at the highest echelons of the IOC, and has for a long time.

The International Olympic Committee’s president, Jacques Rogge, also disagreed with Thorpe’s assessment that heroism of the hapless was what the Games were all about, telling the Guardian about his plans to stop handing out wild cards to countries that would otherwise be unable to send competitors on the grounds that “we want to avoid what happened in the swimming in Sydney; the public loved it, but I did not like it.”

90 Riders on a 273km course is going to get out of hand fast, very few domestiques and a few strong guys could get away ridiculously early, do they have radios?

Hey look at that Uruguay got a spot, maybe Moreira will bring his Volta shape!!!

I get irritated every time this comes up—for someone who for years used to really enjoy watching the Olympics it sucks that it has become classist ( and as we all know $-driven) and nationality-biased so that sports that they think are the big draw get so many more medals events and athletes participating.
It's part of the Olympic Agenda 2020 to reduce the number of people in general, because the Olympics have blown up to a size no one can manage or finance anymore. Of those ~1000 athletes less in Paris, cycling will contribute 14.

The main reason for the small field in the road race is that this comes together with the introduction of gender equality. The spots which used to be available for then men now went to the women

Screenshot-2020-12-08-at-07.03.14.png

It's part of the Olympic Agenda 2020 to reduce the number of people in general, because the Olympics have blown up to a size no one can manage or finance anymore. Of those ~1000 athletes less in Paris, cycling will contribute 14.

The main reason for the small field in the road race is that this comes together with the introduction of gender equality. The spots which used to be available for then men now went to the women

I have an easy way for them to get 72 fewer people.

Scrap BMX.

He can not ride even if they give him the spot of the road race?
No.

And let's face it, only a very illusioned person would think it was possible for Slovakia to qualify. Their best best was to qualify through the places awarded to the best classified riders in last year's XCO World Championships. With his place in Glasgow, and with the way the rankings already were back then, it was a 99,99% chance of Slovakia not being qualified, even if he was in shape this year and did something good in the 3 XCO World Cups that counted for the qualification this season.

Reactions: pastronef
Sagan has not qualified for the Olympic XCO race
He can not ride even if they give him the spot of the road race?
only the Top 19 nations from yesterday's MTB rankings qualified for the Olympics. Slovakia is 36th, so they have no spot they could give him.

Thanks, that’s helpful to know, and I’m glad to see the equity. Still that 514 athletes on the bike, compared to almost 1200 in the pool (swimming, diving, synchronized—didn’t count water polo).

So for lesser countries racing against world tour pros the 90 field limit is an absolute disaster and won't require much of strong countries to cause a permanent separation. Nobody is from Iran or Ghana is going to look over and say " hey let's work together to bridge across to Van der Poel" . And from personal experience anything below @200 is fine. In Gran Fondo, gravel, MTB,ect..the group thins out always within 5-10k at a brutal race speed, some rider from Costa Rica or Yemen is not keeping a pro wheel no matter how hard they trained. In most races officials have a bunch of subjective criteria to determine that you are " out of contention " ..so @15-20 minutes back at 75-100k..someone pulls up, tells you to retire, pull your number, both, get into a car or van or tells you road is open to traffic, where to go for pastry or beer. No reason to limit the field to 90!!
Most selection stuff, cyclocross as an example, the people who are going to win drop everyone else like a dirty diaper in the first 20 minutes.. Doesn't mean you should not line up and race.!!
Do the Olympic goons think there is going to be a surprise winner?

Watched a short video or 3 about some of the Unbound favs. A S.African rider Beers, has been hanging with Swenson in Tucson, training together and says volume is at 35 hours!!and says that after 2 " hard days " they back out of it and take it easier on 3rd day before killing themselves again. He said training rides are typically finished with a 3-5 minute 1000% interval to see what kind of muscle function you get on lactic acid!!
CN and other sites have quality European talent racing, but have not seen an teams sending someone currently flying, until I see MvdP it's a sideshow!!
Niki Terpstra, good racer but come on..

Roger Hammond has joined the team of Sports Directors at BORA – hansgrohe. For the past two seasons, the 50-year-old Briton has been working for Ineos Grenadiers. He will take up his new position in the German UCI WorldTeam on June 1st and will join the team for the first time at the Tour de Suisse.

Rolf Aldag, Head of Sports BORA – hansgrohe

"Roger and I have known each other for many years. We used to race against each other on the bike. After that, we worked together in very different constellations and for many seasons. It's great that our paths have now crossed again. I appreciate Roger's very professional race preparation and his strong race analyses. I am delighted that he is strengthening our team of Sports Directors."

Roger Hammond

"I'm very excited to be joining BORA – hansgrohe. I have enjoyed following their progression from a small continental team through to a leading team in the WorldTour. The ambition that Ralph and his team has for the future sounds equally inspiring, I look forward to being part of the journey."

Sports Directors BORA – hansgrohe:

Rolf Aldag (Head of Sports), Shane Archbold, Bernhard Eisel, Enrico Gasparotto, Roger Hammond, Heinrich Haussler, Christian Pömer, Patxi Vila

Why does Bora's entire DS team feel like it has an outside chance in a mid to late 2000s semi-classic?