• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 75 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Christian said:
Just realized LEOPARD TREK is sending a team to the Quiznos Pro Challenge in August. It looks like a pretty cool race; snd they have a really nice video on the website.

I wonder what this "highest altitude any cyclist has ever endured" means?

in bolivia they ride till 5000 metres so probably american bullsh*t again.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
"After the success of GP Québec and Montréal, North Americans are trying to establish a stage race in the north east of the United States for 2012. Serge Arsenault, organizer of the Canadian events, explains to AFP that it would be a tour of 3 or 4 stages in the Boston region, which he hopes to integrate in the UCI World Calendar. This race should take place in September, just before the Canadian races.

According do Arsenault, the project is 75% done, and he wishes it to be completely finished by September or October"

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-2012_une_course_par_etape_a_boston_fait_a_75-13093.html

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Christian said:
"After the success of GP Québec and Montréal, North Americans are trying to establish a stage race in the north east of the United States for 2012. Serge Arsenault, organizer of the Canadian events, explains to AFP that it would be a tour of 3 or 4 stages in the Boston region, which he hopes to integrate in the UCI World Calendar. This race should take place in September, just before the Canadian races.

According do Arsenault, the project is 75% done, and he wishes it to be completely finished by September or October"

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-2012_une_course_par_etape_a_boston_fait_a_75-13093.html

Now this is the kind of development in trying to get the international racing community to the US that I can understand and support. It just makes sense to make this coincide with the Canadian races and as such attract a large group of the riders that go to these races. A few day stage race at that time in the region makes a lot of sense

Mellow Velo said:
Damn.
Here is a nice little MTF, that does get live net/tv coverage, down the swany.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/spanish-subida-al-naranco-race-cancelled
Asturias under the financial cosh, too.
If that stager goes, there will be won't be a worthwhile one between Pais Vasco in April and Burgos in August, I think.
The Spanish calender in deep recession, once again. (not that Mr Globalization gives a toss)

Madrid in May (moved there from July). But yea, Asturias is one of my favourites, often get to see unusual and unexpected teams and performances there too cos of the big guns resting post-Ardennes.

At least they've kept the Naranco climb for the stage race, if they can keep it going.

Iberia is really struggling with races at the moment, but Globalization (ie more races in the USA) is proving a great success, so who cares, right?

Yeah, the Roubaix selection seems ok, but the Flèche and Liège selections are disappointing. I was looking forward to finally seeing Visconti take on the big boys in the Ardennes. And Sinkewitz was always really good at those races as well. I understand them taking a couple of Belgian teams, but does Skil have anyone at all for those races?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Tour de France: Special classifications will change in 2011

For the maillot vert, there will be only one intermediate sprint, disputed before the middle of the stage. At the finish, the first 15 riders will get points.

For the maillot à pois, only the first 6 riders to cross the first category and HC climbs will be rewarded with points. For the second category, it will be the first four riders, and for the third category the first two. For the climbs of the fourth category, only the first rider will get points.

The points of the mountaintop finishes will be doubled. The MTF's are in Luz-Ardien, Plateau de Beille, Galibier and Alpe d'Huez.

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-tdf_class_annexes_les_nouveaux_modes_de_calcul-13143.html

My conclusions from this:

Maillot vert is likely to be won by the rider who wins the most sprints, and not someone who makes up a lot of points in intermediate sprints. I find this a bad decision because the intermediate sprints animated the race, but on the other hand I can understand when people say the best sprinter should win the points jersey.

Maillot à pois might actually be won by a GC candidate, which would be an interesting development. Or else, if a breakaway wins one of the MTF's it's going to be whoever wins that stage. However I'd say at the most one MTF will be won by a breakaway, so GC candidates should be right up there.

Christian said:
My conclusions from this:

Maillot vert is likely to be won by the rider who wins the most sprints, and not someone who makes up a lot of points in intermediate sprints. I find this a bad decision because the intermediate sprints animated the race, but on the other hand I can understand when people say the best sprinter should win the points jersey.

Ya, it does feel like they are kissing some major Cavendish *** with this rule. With only 15 riders getting points at the end with a slight increase in points for first place it seems like there will be even bigger gaps in points between the places in the top 10.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS