• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

General News Thread

Page 80 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Libertine Seguros said:
I think he felt that he wasn't given enough breathing room once Valverde was gone; and he wasn't getting to do as many of the races HE wanted to do, instead getting shunted off to do the Northern Classics a fair bit which, as we know, Caisse were there mostly to make the numbers up at (except Txente García who gets in the break of the day more often than not at either Flanders or Roubaix).
do you happen to know what races he really wanted to ride?
 
Parrulo said:
do you happen to know what races he really wanted to ride?
No, I don't, but as he did pretty much the same calendar in his two years at Caisse we can say that the following major races were missed out:

Paris-Nice
Catalunya
País Vasco
Ardennes Classics
Romandie
Giro
Dauphiné
San Sebastián
...pretty much anything after July.

Wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to do something like Paris-Nice or the Ardennes Classics, while I think Romandie is really a race he could go for the overall at, though Unzué would say that his results in Dunkerque the last two years justify sending him there instead.

Now of course, Rui would be happy to get to do a calendar like he used to!
 
Mar 13, 2009
5,068
0
0
The Hitch said:
Hell be 3 months short of his 34th birthday in 2015. I dont think he will go for the worlds but age wont have taken too much from his greatness yet by then.
I'd like to see him try though ... maybe if they're in Spain anytime soon? It would be fun to see him in more one-day races and WC/olympics
 
May 6, 2009
8,314
0
0
I hope Gesink never wins the Worlds so that thread never gets dug up. I wish him failure for the rest of the season :p :D

(Yes this was in jest)
 
Jul 14, 2009
2,463
0
0
Red Hook Crit tonight on Brooklyn waterfront. 11pm. Good field. F train to Carroll Street and start walking toward the BQE or take a 5 dollar cab ride. 2 previous winners are now pros, winners from the Berlin and Milan races will be there,also a couple of pro women. The course is changed slightly due to police and politic mix. There is a section on the back where the Statue Of Liberty is right in front of you as you are going thru a triple turn. 2 dollars Brooklyn Lager pints after the race. tyhe website is a little simple but it's what they have
http://www.redhookcrit.com
 
Mar 31, 2010
16,174
0
0
Libertine Seguros said:
No, I don't, but as he did pretty much the same calendar in his two years at Caisse we can say that the following major races were missed out:

Paris-Nice
Catalunya
País Vasco
Ardennes Classics
Romandie
Giro
Dauphiné
San Sebastián
...pretty much anything after July.

Wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to do something like Paris-Nice or the Ardennes Classics, while I think Romandie is really a race he could go for the overall at, though Unzué would say that his results in Dunkerque the last two years justify sending him there instead.

Now of course, Rui would be happy to get to do a calendar like he used to!
actually rui costa wanted to ride the north classics, he spoke very highly of it last year when he had done them and said he wanted to ride them again because he felt he could become a contender.
 
Jun 22, 2009
10,475
0
0
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Uh, Samuel Dumoulin thinks he can win the Amstel Gold Race.

Can anyone explain, based on what exactly?
He isn't bad on a finish like agr, but the stage as a whole is probably a bit much.
 
Jul 16, 2010
16,254
0
0
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Yes 2012 will be fun. Seeing Gilbert being dropped by Gesink on the final ascent of the Cauberg :p
Does it finish on the Cauberg by the way? If so, we can already declare the winner :p

Probably not though.
 
El Pistolero said:
Does it finish on the Cauberg by the way? If so, we can already declare the winner :p

Probably not though.
No it finishes after the Cauberg (as always in world championships)
I believe in Vilt again



Pretty straightforward route. I wish they would make the loop a bit bigger, and include Eyserbosweg + Keuteberg.

That's just the circuit though, there's a small Amstel Gold Race before they reach it
 
Ryo Hazuki said:
actually rui costa wanted to ride the north classics, he spoke very highly of it last year when he had done them and said he wanted to ride them again because he felt he could become a contender.
by north classics you mean the hilly ones or the cobble ones? or both? :p
 
May 2, 2010
1,504
0
0
Christian said:
Robert Wagner out of Tour of Flanders and Paris-Roubaix due to a fracture of the upper part of his shinbone. He will not have to undergo surgery, but recovery will take four to six weeks. For Tour of Flanders he will be replaces by neo-pro Giacomo Nizzolo.

http://www.leopardtrek.lu/news/grand-finale-flanders-coming

Small blow to Cancellara's squad ...
Meh. Cancellara only needs people to collect water bottles for the first 150 or so km.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts