General News Thread

Page 78 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 27, 2010
970
0
0
hrotha said:
Fabian Cancellara's World. The History of a Cyclist.

Guess he ran out of imagination when trying to figure out how to conceal his motor.
Just to be clear, since intentions doesn't always translate into text. Whenever someone in here mentions motor it's all in the good name of the joke, right? There is noone that actually believes it was even remotely a possibility, right?
 
Ney the Viking said:
Just to be clear, since intentions doesn't always translate into text. Whenever someone in here mentions motor it's all in the good name of the joke, right? There is noone that actually believes it was even remotely a possibility, right?
What do you mean Cancellara is not a reptilian?
 
Christian said:
I think he's pretty popular but quite a bit below Federer and the skiers. I remember that he just recently got his first fan club in Switzerland (maybe 1 or 2 months ago) and I seem to recall some sort of best sportsman voting where he was quite behind. I might be wrong about the last one though
He won it (the voting thing) in 2008, but its sad because he only won it for the gold in the Olympic tt, whereas they couldnt careless about his monster 2010 season.

Book should be called " its all about the chrono"
 
Mar 13, 2009
5,246
0
0
The Hitch said:
He won it (the voting thing) in 2008, but its sad because he only won it for the gold in the Olympic tt, whereas they couldnt careless about his monster 2010 season.

Book should be called " its all about the chrono"
I must be thinking of a different voting then
 
Christian said:
I must be thinking of a different voting then
No your thinking of the same one (well im pretty sure you are) Cancellara won it in 2008. Didier Kuch i think won it in 2009. In 2010 Simon Ammann won it and Kuch, Federer and i think one other were ahead of Canc making him about 5th so quite far behind, despite the fact that he had an epic season.
 
Mar 13, 2009
5,246
0
0
The Hitch said:
No your thinking of the same one (well im pretty sure you are) Cancellara won it in 2008. Didier Kuch i think won it in 2009. In 2010 Simon Ammann won it and Kuch, Federer and i think one other were ahead of Canc making him about 5th so quite far behind, despite the fact that he had an epic season.
If only every country honoured their cyclists as much as Luxembourg. But then again we don't really have any other top athletes :)
 
The Hitch said:
He won it (the voting thing) in 2008, but its sad because he only won it for the gold in the Olympic tt, whereas they couldnt careless about his monster 2010 season.
While this may be true, it is difficult to argue against them voting for Simon Ammann. In 2010 he won double Olympic Gold, the Ski Jumping World Cup overall including 9 events, won all four events at the Nordic Tournament and for good measure won the Ski Flying World Championship.

Cancellara's 2010 simply can't compare.
 
Libertine Seguros said:
While this may be true, it is difficult to argue against them voting for Simon Ammann. In 2010 he won double Olympic Gold, the Ski Jumping World Cup overall including 9 events, won all four events at the Nordic Tournament and for good measure won the Ski Flying World Championship.

Cancellara's 2010 simply can't compare.
Forget Simon Ammann
Canc came 5th. Behind Federer Kuch some wrestler apparently as well. And that was just the mens catergory, would have been further down if you included women.

When he

I thought you didnt care much for 1 at a time type sports though.

Looking back through the articles is all of them say that its a shame Federer isnt appreciated in Switzerland because he wasnt given the award for the 4th time and some just say that he was beaten by "some skier". What a disgrace. No wonder cycling cant get a foothold in this celebrity orientated sports culture :rolleyes:
 
Libertine Seguros said:
It doesn't matter whether I'm particularly into the sport (I don't mind ski-jumping but prefer it as one half of NC), you just simply have to acknowledge great achievements. And Ammann's year was chocked full of them.
Yes it was. But there is only 1 Simon Ammann, and Cancellara was beaten by 4 guys.
 
from what rui costa said on his facebook page a couple minutes ago. he should reviel what team he signed for in the next couple of days. i hope so.

also from what he says it looks like its not the shack so at least thats good :p
 
Jun 22, 2009
10,645
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/7882/Robert-Gesink-targets-wins-at-Amstel-Gold-and-Liege-Bastogne-Liege.aspx

So he is targeting Amstel which doesn't suit his style and Liege. I don't see why he wouldn't be targeting Fleche as the steep ramp really suits him, way more than Amstel of which it's finish is more of a power finish and Liege.
amstel reasoning:

Everyone wants a beautiful win at the Amstel Gold Race. For the Dutch, it's such a special classic in our own country. There are always a lot of people along the side of the road and the most encouragement for us Dutch riders."
I agree he should be focusing on fleche tho. That being said, I'm sure he will ride with intention to do well.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
0
0
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
amstel reasoning:



I agree he should be focusing on fleche tho. That being said, I'm sure he will ride with intention to do well.
He seems to be up the front in Amstel in the pasr because he is a strong rider but it's not his race because of the sprinting aspect on the cauberg.. But I guess it is a special race for the dutch which is evident by the massive crowds so of course he would want do well.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
He seems to be up the front in Amstel in the pasr because he is a strong rider but it's not his race because of the sprinting aspect on the cauberg.. But I guess it is a special race for the dutch which is evident by the massive crowds so of course he would want do well.
Ideally Liege-Bastogne-Liege would be located in Holland, because then his home race would be far more suited to him ;) But as it is he'll just have to do with those Limburg hills, team up with the Schlecks to make the race as hard as possible.
 
Aug 2, 2010
1,502
0
0
theyoungest said:
Ideally Liege-Bastogne-Liege would be located in Holland, because then his home race would be far more suited to him ;) But as it is he'll just have to do with those Limburg hills, team up with the Schlecks to make the race as hard as possible.
the dutch mafia will be always there for now on. amstel, liege, alps.. they dont care. the skinny dutch will always find "suport" in them. watch out tony soprano.
 
Parrulo said:
from what rui costa said on his facebook page a couple minutes ago. he should reviel what team he signed for in the next couple of days. i hope so.

also from what he says it looks like its not the shack so at least thats good :p
Word I've heard on the grapevine is that he's likely to be crawling back to Unzué at Movistar. The falling out was that Rui felt like he was a bit shackled and unable to race for himself; right now he just wants to be able to race full stop - and with no Valverde and no Luís León Sánchez, a mostly leaderless Movistar will probably hand a lot of riders free roles.

Other Portuguese news: the Volta a Portugal will start in Fafe this year and finish in Lisbon. It seems that once more we will have the ceremonial flat stage into Lisbon; the race-settling contra-relógio will be in Guarda, a city at an altitude of over 1000m (and with some rather mountainous area around it). This location suggests that it would directly follow an Alto da Torre stage.

Starting in Fafe would make the Alto da Sra da Graça a very early spot to visit on the route unless they're doing a complicated S-shape. Heading down the coast before finishing off with Torre and Guarda keeps my hopes alive for a climb to the Alto de São Macário (9,2km @ 9,1%) but burns some of my hope for a return to the cobbled climb of Gouveia.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
Libertine Seguros said:
Word I've heard on the grapevine is that he's likely to be crawling back to Unzué at Movistar. The falling out was that Rui felt like he was a bit shackled and unable to race for himself; right now he just wants to be able to race full stop - and with no Valverde and no Luís León Sánchez, a mostly leaderless Movistar will probably hand a lot of riders free roles.

Other Portuguese news: the Volta a Portugal will start in Fafe this year and finish in Lisbon. It seems that once more we will have the ceremonial flat stage into Lisbon; the race-settling contra-relógio will be in Guarda, a city at an altitude of over 1000m (and with some rather mountainous area around it). This location suggests that it would directly follow an Alto da Torre stage.

Starting in Fafe would make the Alto da Sra da Graça a very early spot to visit on the route unless they're doing a complicated S-shape. Heading down the coast before finishing off with Torre and Guarda keeps my hopes alive for a climb to the Alto de São Macário (9,2km @ 9,1%) but burns some of my hope for a return to the cobbled climb of Gouveia.
How the hell did Movistar got World Tour anyway?
 
Tondó got a P-N stage and a Vuelta top 10; Arroyo got on the podium of the Giro; Intxausti was 3rd (now 2nd) at País Vasco; Erviti and López won Vuelta stages; Guti won the Spanish nationals; Pardilla won the Vuelta a Madrid and podiumed a lot of .HC and .1 races; Lastras podiumed Lombardia; Rubén Plaza was top 15 at two GTs; José Joaquín Rojas was 5th at Plouay and a number of placings throughout the season; Kiryienka was 2nd in a Tour stage.

They're actually pretty deep in terms of talent and results... but they just don't have a leader. We can also bear in mind that Bruseghin and Soler lost most of their season's aims to injury.
 
Jul 16, 2010
17,463
0
0
Libertine Seguros said:
Tondó got a P-N stage and a Vuelta top 10; Arroyo got on the podium of the Giro; Intxausti was 3rd (now 2nd) at País Vasco; Erviti and López won Vuelta stages; Guti won the Spanish nationals; Pardilla won the Vuelta a Madrid and podiumed a lot of .HC and .1 races; Lastras podiumed Lombardia; Rubén Plaza was top 15 at two GTs; José Joaquín Rojas was 5th at Plouay and a number of placings throughout the season; Kiryienka was 2nd in a Tour stage.

They're actually pretty deep in terms of talent and results... but they just don't have a leader. We can also bear in mind that Bruseghin and Soler lost most of their season's aims to injury.
Arroyo got a podium from a big breakaway. All the other things really aren't that impressive to be honest.
We can also count on Soler doing the exact same as last year.

Oh well, Bala Verde will return soon.
 
Libertine Seguros said:
Tondó got a P-N stage and a Vuelta top 10; Arroyo got on the podium of the Giro; Intxausti was 3rd (now 2nd) at País Vasco; Erviti and López won Vuelta stages; Guti won the Spanish nationals; Pardilla won the Vuelta a Madrid and podiumed a lot of .HC and .1 races; Lastras podiumed Lombardia; Rubén Plaza was top 15 at two GTs; José Joaquín Rojas was 5th at Plouay and a number of placings throughout the season; Kiryienka was 2nd in a Tour stage.

They're actually pretty deep in terms of talent and results... but they just don't have a leader. We can also bear in mind that Bruseghin and Soler lost most of their season's aims to injury.
Don't forget Ventoso's Paris-Bruxelles win.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY