• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 84 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Mostly stage races. Belgians suck at stage racing, except at the Tour where VDB suddenly wakes up from hibernation.

Pretty sure D_T was trying to pull someone's leg there youngest... The guy is notorious for doing this. ;)

boomcie said:
Belgium leading the UCI WorldTour Ranking after the Gold Race.

I like that :cool:

Is it the top 9 or 10 nations in the world rankings that are guaranteed nine riders in the World Championship Road Race?

And how does the system work below those positions? How many riders would the 11th placed nation get etc?

Just looking at Great Britain, who are in 10th place at the moment, the biggest dangers from below us in the list would appear to be Denmark, Russia, Norway and Luxembourg. I'd say that we have a realistic chance of finishing above Switzerland (most likely) and to a lesser extent the US and France.

JRanton said:
Is it the top 9 or 10 nations in the world rankings that are guaranteed nine riders in the World Championship Road Race?

And how does the system work below those positions? How many riders would the 11th placed nation get etc?

Just looking at Great Britain, who are in 10th place at the moment, the biggest dangers from below us in the list would appear to be Denmark, Russia, Norway and Luxembourg. I'd say that we have a realistic chance of finishing above Switzerland (most likely) and to a lesser extent the US and France.

It's based on various rankings. I believe some places are awarded for the top nations in the various continental tour rankings which is why you can see countries like Marocco with 5 riders since they do well in the African Continental ranking while some european nations with much better riders get fewer spots since they only race on the european continental tour.

ingsve said:
It's based on various rankings. I believe some places are awarded for the top nations in the various continental tour rankings which is why you can see countries like Marocco with 5 riders since they do well in the African Continental ranking while some european nations with much better riders get fewer spots since they only race on the european continental tour.

Ok, but am I right in saying that countries are guaranteed to have 9 riders provided they're in the top 9 or 10 positions in the UCI's world tour rankings?

May 12, 2010
Visit site
JRanton said:
Ok, but am I right in saying that countries are guaranteed to have 9 riders provided they're in the top 9 or 10 positions in the UCI's world tour rankings?

Indeed, the top-10 countries from the world ranking all get 9 spots, but there is one condition, they should have at least 9 people who scored points in the World Tour ranking. If for example Andy and Fränk score enough points to get Luxemburg in the top-10, but no other Luxemburg rider scorers points, they can only start with two people.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Lanark said:
Indeed, the top-10 countries from the world ranking all get 9 spots, but there is one condition, they should have at least 9 people who scored points in the World Tour ranking. If for example Andy and Fränk score enough points to get Luxemburg in the top-10, but no other Luxemburg rider scorers points, they can only start with two people.

Are you saying it should be like that or it is like that?

Because in recent years this hasn't been the case: Luxembourg brought a lot of riders to Varese for example, and of course most of them amateurs. One of them, Christian Poos (former Festina stagiaire, now CT Differdange), even made it into the break of the day.

However that was the only time in recent years that they took amateur riders to fill the slots. In Stuttgart and Geelong, they started with 4 or 5 riders IIRC, bringing only the ones that can ride on such a high level, and disclaimed the rest of their spots. But even last year they brought an amateur, Jempy Drucker (now Verandas Willems)

In other news:

Gilbert will ride the Tour de France

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8159/Philippe-Gilbert-to-ride-the-Tour-de-France.aspx

Christian said:
Are you saying it should be like that or it is like that?

Because in recent years this hasn't been the case: Luxembourg brought a lot of riders to Varese for example, and of course most of them amateurs. One of them, Christian Poos (former Festina stagiaire, now CT Differdange), even made it into the break of the day.

However that was the only time in recent years that they took amateur riders to fill the slots. In Stuttgart and Geelong, they started with 4 or 5 riders IIRC, bringing only the ones that can ride on such a high level, and disclaimed the rest of their spots. But even last year they brought an amateur, Jempy Drucker (now Verandas Willems)

In other news:

Gilbert will ride the Tour de France

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8159/Philippe-Gilbert-to-ride-the-Tour-de-France.aspx

That's what I thought but Norway finished 10th in last year's UCI Pro Tour rankings and only took 3 riders to Geelong. They also only had 3 riders who scored Pro Tour points in 2010. Surely Norway would have taken more riders if they'd been allowed to? They certainly did in 2009.

Having said that Luxembourg took 3 riders to Geelong but only had 2 riders who scored Pro Tour points in 2010.

Is there a document somewhere explaining how all the places are allocated (I've had a good look) or do the UCI keep that hidden too?