• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 444 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
https://twitter.com/TourDeRomandie/status/1122410753640808449
Snow at Tour of Romandie's 1st stage finish - la chaux de fonds this morning. Better weather forecast for next week though -
Screenshot-2019-04-28-Tour-de-Romandie-Tour-De-Romandie-on-Twit.png

Lol, a criterium for World Tour points. Great. Apart from that, all sounds pretty promising to be honest. I know a lot of people - myself included - can be down on the TDU, but a new dirt road race and promotion of the Women's TDU to WWT status are both pretty good outcomes. Would kinda prefer the dirt road race be a stage of the TDU to make that race more interesting, but I certainly can't complain about it replacing the execrable Cancer Council Classic crit - just make the post-TDU crit like the Cancer Council Classic, a .NE all fun bit of show rather than a WT race plzkthx.

From what I understand the proposed "Criterium" would be more of a hilly kermesse/circuit than the Cancer Council snooze fest, especially if they take the Blue Lake option.

I do agree with you on the gravel racing, replacing one of the bland flat stages with this the day before Wilunga would be a good idea.

They are trying to fill in the gap between the end of the TDU and the Cadel Evan's RR - This seems a much better option than the Cancer Zero race at Albert Lake which is a snorefest - The race before the start of the TDU has to be carefully thought through as I doubt teams/riders will be keen on a dirt/gravel race two days before the TDU - I'd be happier if they keep the pre TDU crit, tweak one or two stages in the TDU, have a gravel/dirt race after the TDU and make the women's race as part of the WT.

Re:

Jagartrott said:
Don't know where to put it or whether it was already linked to elsewhere on the forum, but the University of Leuven found a performance increase of c. 15% at the end of a 3-week GT when using ketones the right way. That's massive, and the researchers were quite surprised of the size of the effect. Almost all cycling teams use this nowadays. The story is found here in Dutch:
https://sporza.be/nl/2019/03/27/ketonen/

It is not considered doping, and it is not on the doping list either. There have been some mentions of Ketones in the clinic section of the forum, but not about the research. I thought about opening a new topic in the clinic section, but didn't do it yet. Especially since it is not considered doping to begin with.

It doesn't work when taking it during or right before an effort and works best over longer periods. It helps especially for sub-maximal efforts. It would be of tremendous help in build-up due to a much better recovery of training efforts. Effectively diminishing the risk of overtraining. Best to start taking them 4-8 weeks before you want the reap the benefits. Drink them soon after the effort and half an hour before eating or drinking a recovery drink.

Ketones seem to work physically (as a natural/bodily fuel) but also mentally, protecting nervecells, which explains the lack of mental fatigue.

There is another article (well, there are a few actually) with some more info, and a doctor that says all athletes know about it, but only a minority can afford it. If you want to know more, i suggest running these articles through google translate.

https://sporza.be/nl/2019/05/04/ruud-van-thienen-ketonen/
https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2019/05/03/hespel-5-topsport/
https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2019/05/03/peter-hespel-4-gebruiksaanwijzing/
https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/2019/05/03/peter-hespel-2-vraag-en-antwoord/

I don't know what to think about pro teams spending time on Zwift events and Red Hook crits..I am guessing that this is what evolution looks like...?
I have seen a huge normalization in people taking spinning classes as part of their exercise regiment.
Nobody in these spinning classes is curious about outdoor bike racing?

81ª Volta a Portugal em Bicicleta (31.7. - 11.08.)

31 julho – Prólogo VISEU
1 agosto – 1ª etapa – Miranda do Corvo – Leiria
2 agosto – Marinha Grande – Stº António dos Cavaleiros
3 de agosto – Santarém – Castelo Branco
4 de agosto – Pampilhosa – Penhas da Saúde
5 agosto – Oliveira Hospital – Guarda

6 agosto – Guarda – descanso

7 de agosto – Moncorvo – Bragança
8 de agosto – Bragança – Montalegre
9 de agosto – Viana – Felgueiras
10 agosto – Fafe – Sª graça
11 agosto – VN Gaia – Porto C/RI

GRAFICO_Etapa_10_VNGaia%2B-%2BPorto_CRI.png

Am I correct, that it is over 20 years since A Volta has been in Porto?

7 weeks ahead of the national championship, the German Cycling Federation is still looking for a host city. Hosting the race has become unattractive due to high costs of increased safety regulations. One possible solution they're floating would be to have the race held with the championship in a neighboring country. (Link, in German)

Re:

davebqvst said:
7 weeks ahead of the national championship, the German Cycling Federation is still looking for a host city. Hosting the race has become unattractive due to high costs of increased safety regulations. One possible solution they're floating would be to have the race held with the championship in a neighboring country. (Link, in German)
Cycling has become popular in Germany again they said. The Tour start massively helped that they said

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
davebqvst said:
Cycling has become popular in Germany again they said. The Tour start massively helped that they said
That's exactly why it's unpopular now again.

Need start a Giro there, let Libertine design 3 stages there, and they won't have that problem again for decades

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
davebqvst said:

I actually assumed it was a classical case of only cares about the Tour.

RedheadDane said:
Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
davebqvst said:

I actually assumed it was a classical case of only cares about the Tour.

That's exactly right, for 99% of Germans 'Tour de France' and 'cycling' are equivalent terms.

Re:

Koronin said:
What about using the full Nurbergring or Hockenheimring tracks and do laps? There shouldn't be the high costs for security and safety at those tracks, although no idea what it would cost to actually use them and if that would be worth the price or not.
Hockenheimring is much shorter nowadays, the old sections through the forest have been torn up and nature has claimed it back. They even moved the Jim Clark memorial to the new corner to prevent fans getting lost in the forest trying to find it now the track isn't there.

There is an 11km layout at the EuroSpeedway Lausitz, that's now closed as a motor racing circuit as it's been revamped as a vehicle test facility, so wouldn't have the problem of clashing with an established racing weekend for something like DTM, Formula 3 or similar which would still be a possibility at Hockenheim, or being less profitable than allowing civilians onto the track like Nürburg. The downside is that it's completely pan flat.

Libertine Seguros said:
Koronin said:
What about using the full Nurbergring or Hockenheimring tracks and do laps? There shouldn't be the high costs for security and safety at those tracks, although no idea what it would cost to actually use them and if that would be worth the price or not.
Hockenheimring is much shorter nowadays, the old sections through the forest have been torn up and nature has claimed it back. They even moved the Jim Clark memorial to the new corner to prevent fans getting lost in the forest trying to find it now the track isn't there.

There is an 11km layout at the EuroSpeedway Lausitz, that's now closed as a motor racing circuit as it's been revamped as a vehicle test facility, so wouldn't have the problem of clashing with an established racing weekend for something like DTM, Formula 3 or similar which would still be a possibility at Hockenheim, or being less profitable than allowing civilians onto the track like Nürburg. The downside is that it's completely pan flat.

Thanks. I had no idea the old sections of Hockenheimring had been reclaimed by nature.

Not sure a pan flat course would be useful. Thats why I was thinking of the longer tracks for Hockenheim and Nurburg.

TRENDING THREADS