• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 465 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
could this be a rival to the Acquadro's of the game or just 1 more to complete "the good, the bad and the ugly"?

View: https://twitter.com/sporza_koers/status/1345452554650611716

It's not like football has benefited much as a sport by having more of these super agents around. Sure some riders would getter a better paycheck, but without the same type of revenue within the sport that football has, it could turnout as a kiss of death for some teams.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It might be a good thing for cycling if the agency's aim is to actually boost some rider's publicity in certain countries, like Almeida's in Portugal. Almeida by the way seems like a very decent guy who doesn't get carried away by something like that, but even then it can get too much for some... Anyway, if he appears in a few shows on TV or gives a few more interviews, that shouldn't be too bad. If the aim is to only get more money out of the teams for the individual rider, well, that won't work in cycling if it stays the same. First there needs to be more money involved. For which, I think, the main goal would be to relieve cycling from the over-association with doping.
Well, in general Mendes is not someone I would like to deal with, but that goes for a lot of team managers as well, so... Next step Raiola? :fearscream:

Paris-Nice 2021

ErCt-HfXcAEk6FX
ErCuHWrXAAE1rFg
ErCun6jXYAEey-P
ErCu9ACXYAIkJtq
ErCvbipXYAAL6jL
ErCvuBIXYAEM-DF
ErCv72VW8AAMSf_
ErCwj-dXYAYcnVe

Reactions: Kaptain Kool
I actually rather like it. Except stage 6, but on the plus side it's stage 6 this time, rather than those years when the dreaded Sophia Antipolis circuit was the penultimate day and supposed to be a GC day but with all the mountains 60km from home. Stage 1 looks like it has a few uncategorised climbs and the early flat stages in Paris-Nice have a long history of overdelivering. The ITT isn't overlong but it comes early enough that the race won't be set yet so it could incentivise some action on the first uphill finish which isn't very difficult and should be a sprint of the elites unless people work it super hard because of the TT. I'm not sure if actually the MTF on stage 7 might be bigger than I'd hope, in that if that neutralises (and more) the TT, it may kill off a bit of the action on the final stage, but we all know that Nice-Nice on the final day tends to deliver. La Roche for the finish? Also having an intermediate sprint with bonus seconds in the middle of a cat.1 climb is a bit weird in that it's also not even on a plateau (like, I could imagine putting an intermediate in one of the plateaus or dips in Croix de Fer, or in Sabugueiro on the Alto da Torre, or something like that, but here just looks strange)

If the profile provided by ASO is accurate, the Chiroubles MTF is really irregular, so it might actually see some action.
2da09

Also the big MTF is the same as in 2018 and 2020 and the final stage in 2018 was as good as ever, so I'm not overly worried, although a slightly longer TT would have been preferable.

Jan 12, 2021
Visit site
It might be a good thing for cycling if the agency's aim is to actually boost some rider's publicity in certain countries, like Almeida's in Portugal. Almeida by the way seems like a very decent guy who doesn't get carried away by something like that, but even then it can get too much for some... Anyway, if he appears in a few shows on TV or gives a few more interviews, that shouldn't be too bad. If the aim is to only get more money out of the teams for the individual rider, well, that won't work in cycling if it stays the same. First there needs to be more money involved. For which, I think, the main goal would be to relieve cycling from the over-association with doping.
Well, in general Mendes is not someone I would like to deal with, but that goes for a lot of team managers as well, so... Next step Raiola? :fearscream:
About this. Mendes isn't the new agent of Almeida. The sports agent is João Correia, from Corso Sports. This is just a deal betwenn Corso Sports and Polaris Sports to manage the image rights from portuguese riders like Almeida, Guerreira and oliveira twins. I think this is just for publicity, probably Almeida will benefit with some national significant sponsor and Mendes can say "I'm the agent of all sports talent in Portugal", but he doesn't need cycling for anything. For example Polaris Sports also manages Ansu Fati image rights but Mendes isn't is sports agent.

Lets make some math, the best paid rider in the peloton is Peter Sagan with something around 5M€/year, and reading some news we know that the agents receive around 10% of the cyclist salary, so in this case 500k euros/year. For Mendes this value is nothing, any Premier League team buys a random player for 35M €,the agent receives a fee of 10%, so 3.5M € in one transfer. The difference is significant.

does anyone know anything about a new Newzeland CT team with a swiss licence @global6cycling ?
our one and only Brazilian pro Nico Sessler(ex Burgos), who got strained here and couldn't race at all in 2020 just announced he is in along(so far) with Bongiorno+Mitri(ex Vini), Kurianov(ex Gazprom) and Aalrust(ex Joker)..
I think(!?) they gonna use Swiss as base but just guessing..
I have no idea what kind of schedule or where they gonna race!?..

does anyone know anything about a new Newzeland CT team with a swiss licence @global6cycling ?
our one and only Brazilian pro Nico Sessler(ex Burgos), who got strained here and couldn't race at all in 2020 just announced he is in along(so far) with Bongiorno+Mitri(ex Vini), Kurianov(ex Gazprom) and Aalrust(ex Joker)..
I think(!?) they gonna use Swiss as base but just guessing..
I have no idea what kind of schedule or where they gonna race!?..
Do they have a swiss licence? As their insta, pcs and first cycling pages have them as a kiwi team. I know the uci team pages are not complete yet but the only swiss team is the EF Nippo Marseille Conti Team and NZ only has the Black Spoke Cycling team listed.
I find him an interesting rider, as he was born in London, and rode for a British team as a junior, has a uci licence registered in New Zealand but then has lived the three seasons at Burgos and Vini Zabu in Mallorca. Plus the possibility the team is then registered in Switzerland.

Also, what is global6?

Do they have a swiss licence? As their insta, pcs and first cycling pages have them as a kiwi team. I know the uci team pages are not complete yet but the only swiss team is the EF Nippo Marseille Conti Team and NZ only has the Black Spoke Cycling team listed.
I find him an interesting rider, as he was born in London, and rode for a British team as a junior, has a uci licence registered in New Zealand but then has lived the three seasons at Burgos and Vini Zabu in Mallorca. Plus the possibility the team is then registered in Switzerland.

Also, what is global6?

in his tweeter he mention "newzeland team with operation BASED in Swiss", so I've misspoke. No mention on licence..
he's also a pretty good mountain biker and have lived in Belgium witch makes a interesting mix for a climber..
View: https://twitter.com/NicoSessler/status/1353681981754798083

The Tirreno route is announced. And it's fairly boring. A Prati di Tivo MTF, but not much else of interest. I would definitely prefer if both PN and TA focused mainly on shorter and steeper climbs rather than these 12-15 km, 6-7 % MTFs.

The Tirreno route is announced. And it's fairly boring. A Prati di Tivo MTF, but not much else of interest. I would definitely prefer if both PN and TA focused mainly on shorter and steeper climbs rather than these 12-15 km, 6-7 % MTFs.

How hard is Castelfidardo?

At least they didn't bring back the TTT.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts