• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 474 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Two MTFs for next year's Catalunya have been announced.

E5hzvAfXMAI6Et1

E5hzvH8XwAAqkO_

Official source
Secondary source of profiles
When Molina alone isn't enough of a joke.

On the 13th on October the Giro del Veneto will return, with the classic loop around my beloved Colli Euganei before a flat run in to Padova.
219863432_134543902156639_8532548298063295365_n.jpg

On the 15th we have a gravel race.
On the 17th the Veneto Classic with happen, an interesting race with the final ascent on the La Rosina climb (2km at 7%) ending with less than 8kms to go.
venetoclessic_altimetria_desktop.jpg

Pippo is involved in organizing this small block of races.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Il Lombardia to be raced from Como To Bergamo on October 9

The last Classic Monument of the season this year will start from Como and will end in Bergamo

After four editions that ended in Como, Bergamo will host the finish line of the 115th edition of Il Lombardia presented by Eolo, which will start from the city of Como.
The Classic of the Dead Leaves, scheduled for Saturday 9 October and organized by RCS Sport, closes the season of great international cycling.
All the details and the route of the last Classic Monument of the year will be revealed in a press conference to be held in September.

~~~

A reminder of the route in 2016:
Lombardia_16_alt-1-1024x585.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Red Rick

The last Classic Monument of the season this year will start from Como and will end in Bergamo

After four editions that ended in Como, Bergamo will host the finish line of the 115th edition of Il Lombardia presented by Eolo, which will start from the city of Como.
The Classic of the Dead Leaves, scheduled for Saturday 9 October and organized by RCS Sport, closes the season of great international cycling.
All the details and the route of the last Classic Monument of the year will be revealed in a press conference to be held in September.

~~~

Shame. As a Comasco I like it a lot more the other way around...

~~~

This is objectively probably the best route you can have, but if we get something like 2014 I'll probably puke in my mouth a bit.

Don't know those climbs so don't know how that would look.
Valcava is the big climb in the profile above, Valpiana has been used several times in Lombardia and once in the Giro together with Resegone (1988). The latter is almost a loop inserted between the two other climbs, chained like in the 80s (the end of the descent of Valpiana is as close to Bergamo Alta as the end of the descent of Selvino):

1986-profilo.jpg

EDIT: Here I have mapped it. But it's more of a Giro stage:

NptUFub.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Rick
Valcava is the big climb in the profile above, Valpiana has been used several times in Lombardia and once in the Giro together with Resegone (1988). The latter is almost a loop inserted between the two other climbs, chained like in the 80s (the end of the descent of Valpiana is as close to Bergamo Alta as the end of the descent of Selvino):

1986-profilo.jpg

EDIT: Here I have mapped it. But it's more of a Giro stage:

NptUFub.png
Yeah true. The 2016 parcours worked very well IMO, although I didn't actually get to see the race.

I don't think Valcava needs to be decisive, but having a function like Muro di Sormano would be pretty great.

I couldn't find an appropriate thread for this in the track forum (maybe I didn't look hard enough), but Ashton Lambie has just broken the 4 minute barrier in the individual pursuit in Mexico. It was quite close though.

Once you get past the 20ies movie villain mustache you have to appreciate him as an athlete.
Being the first one to break the 4min barrier makes you a legend of the sport, no matter if it was done at altitude or not. Ganna is probably a bit annoyed, he probably could have broken it even at a lower altitude, but Lambie deserves nothing but praise.

I don't think that it will be recognized considering there wasn't an actual race, he just went there by himself and rode alone so isn't even an actual pursuit. If you check the UCI website and their twitter feeds there is no mention at all.

From the way I understand the regulations, you just need to have the attempt authorised by the UCI beforehand.

I mean they printed out a piece of paper. Surely it can't get anymore offcial than this!

Ashton-Lambie-Kit-Karzen-8-18-21-115956-01109.jpg

From the way I understand the regulations, you just need to have the attempt authorised by the UCI beforehand.

I mean they printed out a piece of paper. Surely it can't get anymore offcial than this!

Ashton-Lambie-Kit-Karzen-8-18-21-115956-01109.jpg
A piece of paper that could be printed even by a kid and just say "4 km world record" without mentioning the individual pursuit that (page 15 of the PDF you posted) is defined as "Two cyclists compete in a fixed distance. The riders start on opposite sides of the track. The winner is determined by either catching the other rider or recording the fastest time."

A piece of paper that could be printed even by a kid and just say "4 km world record" without mentioning the individual pursuit that (page 15 of the PDF you posted) is defined as "Two cyclists compete in a fixed distance. The riders start on opposite sides of the track. The winner is determined by either catching the other rider or recording the fastest time."

(I was being sarcastic about the piece of paper, if it wasn't clear)

That sentence covers the competition rules, but If you look at the section regarding world record attempts, it doesn't say anything about it. And at least people seem to assume that it will be verified, but we'll just have to wait and see.

(I was being sarcastic about the piece of paper, if it wasn't clear)

That sentence covers the competition rules, but If you look at the section regarding world record attempts, it doesn't say anything about it. And at least people seem to assume that it will be verified, but we'll just have to wait and see.
For sure they are asking for a verification, what i doubt is UCI ratifying it, even considering that is possible doing it alone the procedure to have a recognised record (pages 74-77) looks pretty strict and after two days there is still no mention from UCI that always publish press releases and tweets when there is a record.

For sure they are asking for a verification, what i doubt is UCI ratifying it, even considering that is possible doing it alone the procedure to have a recognised record (pages 74-77) looks pretty strict and after two days there is still no mention from UCI that always publish press releases and tweets when there is a record.

One of the problems he might face is that the rules say that the attempt should have been made known to the UCI four months in advance, and Lambie publicly announced it only four weeks prior, but of course the UCI could have been made aware much earlier.

TRENDING THREADS