• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 476 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Often it's the matter of people who have lost audience momentum due to providing a poor product (which is often due to attracting investment that tramples competition to the point of driving away spectators, à la F1) protecting their hides to sponsors by explaining that it's the problem of the audience, not their product, that is causing the decline. It's easy to say that the younger generation has no attention span and so we should make our product shorter, sharper and more bang for your buck, but it's also omitting to note that the younger generation is also the generation of binge-watching, and if something does succeed in grabbing their attention they will consume it relentlessly until there is nothing left to consume.

Meanwhile, Bernhard Kohl is appearing on Dancing Stars.

46-180705900.jpg

Gonna be a bit hard to convince the riders to just to all stages in one go without any break, though.

They could just release 5 or 6 stages at a time in a true crime documentary style format without live broadcasting. That would of course be horrible news, especially for little miss "gotta watch every single race live otherwise I'd die".

Are there still no detailed profiles out of the World championships?

4uzKRiJ43bCq88iaNpWpMQ-768-80.png.webp

Often it's the matter of people who have lost audience momentum due to providing a poor product (which is often due to attracting investment that tramples competition to the point of driving away spectators, à la F1) protecting their hides to sponsors by explaining that it's the problem of the audience, not their product, that is causing the decline. It's easy to say that the younger generation has no attention span and so we should make our product shorter, sharper and more bang for your buck, but it's also omitting to note that the younger generation is also the generation of binge-watching, and if something does succeed in grabbing their attention they will consume it relentlessly until there is nothing left to consume.

Meanwhile, Bernhard Kohl is appearing on Dancing Stars.

46-180705900.jpg

Michael Rasmussen did the Danish version 11 years ago, so it was probably about time. The viewers actually voted for Rasmussen back then, but I'm not sure Kohl will get much support, unless he turns out to be a surprisingly good dancer, which Rasmussen wasn't.

They could just release 5 or 6 stages at a time in a true crime documentary style format without live broadcasting. That would of course be horrible news, especially for little miss "gotta watch every single race live otherwise I'd die".

4uzKRiJ43bCq88iaNpWpMQ-768-80.png.webp

Michael Rasmussen did the Danish version 11 years ago, so it was probably about time. The viewers actually voted for Rasmussen back then, but I'm not sure Kohl will get much support, unless he turns out to be a surprisingly good dancer, which Rasmussen wasn't.
Okay that's just not very hard.

That would of course be horrible news, especially for little miss "gotta watch every single race live otherwise I'd die".

I'm not gonna die! I just don't see the point in purposely waiting to watch something, when it is available to watch live. Nor can I really see the point in watching something after-the-fact because you weren't at home/had access to a feed when it happened. I of course also gets peeved when races are available in one country, but not others.
Oh, and don't get me started on the "We are not going to show live images from this race - even though we do have the rigths - but will just broadcast a recap later. Here's a re-run of a tennis match!" stunt ES sometimes pulls.

Last edited:
Do we know why the first round is two weeks earlier next year than in 2017?
Because France.

Would much prefer it if they swapped with AGR (or even better, with the Ronde) instead of doing both on the same weekend but that will probably never happen. I expect a weaker field at not just AGR, but also the opening weekend due to form peaks needing to be timed slightly later.

Very sad news :(

"Chris Anker Sørensen has died at the age of 37.
The former cyclist and current expert on TV 2 SPORT was in Belgium as part of the coverage around the World Cycling Championships when he was hit by a car during a cycling trip.
On that occasion, TV 2 SPORT's sports director, Frederik Lauesen, states:

• It is with great sadness that I have received the news that our good colleague Chris Anker Sørensen is dead.
  • Chris Anker Sørensen was in Belgium for the World Cycling Championships. Today, Saturday, he was out cycling and was hit by a car and he later died of his injuries. Our thoughts and deep sympathy go to Chris Anker Sørensen's family, says Frederik Lauesen.
In his career as an active cyclist from 2005-2018, Chris Anker Sørensen managed to participate in 12 Grand Tours, while in 2015 he won the Danish Championship in road racing.
After his active career, Chris Anker Sørensen changed his job as a cyclist with a place in the commentator box at TV 2 SPORT, where he has been a held and respected colleague.
TV 2 is offering crisis help tonight to its employees in Belgium, and TV 2 has also informed the employees that they must each decide whether they want to go to the World Cup or travel home.
Chris Anker Sørensen's family has been informed of the death. TV 2 has no further information at this time."

• Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan and noob

TRENDING THREADS