• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 481 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A resident of Australian nationality has been arrested this Sunday in La Massana accused of a crime against physical and moral integrity in the domestic sphere.

The man, a professional cyclist and resident for years in Andorra, had assaulted his wife, who was attacked on the street after fleeing from the family home.

The police checked him at around 4 o'clock in the afternoon and arrested him. This Thursday morning he was taken to court.

:mad:

how come both set of info is coming from different sources when the same info should be available to both sources. It is a whole different range if the info becomes " looks Aussie and looks 29 year old"
I don’t know how it might work in Spain, but in the US, major city newspapers typically had a “contact” at the police to get breaking information about arrests, investigations, etc. Sometimes it might be one reporter who had the police “ beat” and who developed personal connections with police staff. If it’s like that for news media in Spain, each news outlet would have a separate “source” with the police, which means they could receive different pieces of info about the same case. OR, the media are just being sloppy in their reporting.
;)

Filippo Ganna and his team mates in the National team ride on the Vigorelli track

ganna_aa-knaB-U4202111446159Sd-344x520@Gazzetta-Web_528x329.jpg

The Vigorelli Velodrome in Milan, has just ridden by Filippo Ganna on the occasion of the inauguration of the new LED lighting system.
On Sunday 31 October, from 2 to 5 pm, the magical track inaugurated on 28 October 1935, will be the protagonist of a journey into the past, in that timeless cycling made of wool jerseys, bicycles without gears and tubulars...

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Now it's official Daniele Bennati is the new coach of the Italian NT. The guy has been a road captain for the entire 2nd half of his career, he should have the right kind of experience on the road.
He's also well spoken and the ladies have always liked him, maybe he'll get some extra media attention for the Italian NT.

That said, I don't know how much the coach of the NT counts, the French have managed to win 2 WCs in a row with a tactical donkey like Voeckler by having the clearly strongest rider on that day.

Now it's official Daniele Bennati is the new coach of the Italian NT. The guy has been a road captain for the entire 2nd half of his career, he should have the right kind of experience on the road.
He's also well spoken and the ladies have always liked him, maybe he'll get some extra media attention for the Italian NT.

That said, I don't know how much the coach of the NT counts, the French have managed to win 2 WCs in a row with a tactical donkey like Voeckler by having the clearly strongest rider on that day.

Ah, no, here I have to cry out loud. Voeckler, whatever you thought of him as a rider, is a great NT coach. Sure, without Alaphilippe's strength the wins would not have been possible, but you can't say it was just that. The French had a clear plan in both races, and they did everything to make it succeed, they took their fate into their own hands, they didn't make any mistakes, and the atmosphere in the team seems really good, at least I didn't hear of any intern problems. It's not like Ala won these races despite the tactics, they did well to keep the race together in 2020 and they did well to make it hard from the beginning in 2021. They also had a very aggressive racing style in the last EC, and although it didn't end with a win they at least took a medal with Cosnefroy, as they did with Demare in 2020. They have great racers, but I think one needs to give Voeckler credit, so far he's done his job really well.

Tommy Vockler is not a tactical donkey.

There's a story about Daniele Bennati in Matti Breschel's book. I have translated it, see below, hope it won't make favorite people Mayomaniac and SafeBet hate Matti too much.
The Saxo team was a diverse environment with many nationalities. That meant challenges with language and culture. The Spanish guys was just one thing. There was not a lot of issues with the Danish guys and the Russians were fine with direct communication where you could say things with no filter but with the Italians you had to sometimes smooth things over, and if you had said something that was misunderstood they could feel so offended they would never talk to you again.

In the Bruxelles Classic in 2013 we were riding for Daniele Bennati who had won around fifty races in a long career as a professional. I don't know if he found mass sprints more scary with age but he would sometimes let go, in particular if he was not able to win. Afterwards he was one big excuse for why it didn't work this time either. If it rained he could feel so sorry for himself that you wanted to take hold of him and shake him around.

As in other Belgian races you had to take risks if you wanted to be in front. The entire team raced like crazy to make sure Bennati was well placed for the final and when I had done my part I swung around shortly before the finish line. I looked up to see if Bennati could win but 200 metres before the line he stopped pedalling. When I rolled past him I asked that he sprint to the line next time. I said he couldn't expect everyone to ride for him all day and then see him not even try. A top ten would have been okay. We needed results. The season had not been great and there was pressure from directors and sponsors.

Bennati did not react until evening when I was in bed in the airport hotel in Charleroi and my phone beeped with a text message. A long drama basically about how I couldn't talk to him like that. I tried to phone him but he rejected the call. Instead he sent another text message that said I DEMAND YOUR RESPECT. More text messages followed. I couldn't take him seriously and think he has hated me ever since.

TRENDING THREADS