• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 482 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
There's a story about Daniele Bennati in Matti Breschel's book. I have translated it, see below, hope it won't make favorite people Mayomaniac and SafeBet hate Matti too much.
Yeah, he admitted himself that he no longer had it after a certain crash (I can't remember which one) and that Bjarne pretty much rejuvenated his career by converting him into a road captain and "bodyguard" for gc riders on hectic flat stages (he also said that it was a lot more demanding than being a sprinter from an endurance perspective).
Of course I won't hate on Matti because of this story. When it comes to Bennati I guess it comes down to not being able to admit that you've lost it a bit and then you get emotional when someone calls you out on it and it's probably also a bit of a cultural difference (being more direct vs having respect for older riders).

Reactions: Sandisfan
When it comes to Bennati I guess it comes down to not being able to admit that you've lost it a bit and then you get emotional when someone calls you out on it and it's probably also a bit of a cultural difference (being more direct vs having respect for older riders).

Maybe with a little bit of an "All or Nothing" approach mixed in. Seems like when Bennati knew he couldn't win, he completely stopped sprinting, rather than sprint for a result, any result, even if it had "just" been tenth.

35 mins to go until Dowsett starts his hour record attempt... Is there a thread on this in the forum?...

The Tour of the Alps route was announced today, it stays much further to the south than usual. Not the hardest edition, but it should still be decently selective, especially given that each stage features at least one technical descent.

FDbVlkdXEAY1C7H

Stage 1
FDbVueLWUAENO2P

Passo Brocon (yes, it's not a cat. 1, this race somehow has worse climb categorization than the Giro every year)
BroconSW.gif

Passo Gobbera
GobberaW.gif

The hill in the final circuit, climbed twice, is about a kilometre at a little over 7%, but with steeper gradients in its first half.

Stage 2
FDbV-TQWUActnuD

Very similar to the 2018 stage into Merano, won by a young Ben O'Connor.

Passo Rolle
RolleS.gif

Mendelpass
giro-del-trentino-2018-stage-3-climb-656ce2bf26.png

Gampenpass (only the final 13.2k)
PaladeS.gif

Stage 3
FDbWF3QWEAAg7AU

Feldthurns
VelturnoS.gif

Terenten
TerentoW.gif

Passo Furcia
FurciaW.gif

Stage 4
FDbWWM2WUAQS2pU

Kartitscher Sattel
KartitschW.gif

Gailberg Sattel
GailbergS.gif

Thurn (only up to the village, this is the hill with the intermediate sprint)
zettersfeld-grafendorf.png

The next hill is 2.1k at 5.7%, then the climb to the finish in Kals is the profile below until the village.
Luckner.gif

Stage 5
FDbWjvRXsAUcgXb

Bannberg (1st ascent) + Pustertaler Höhenstrasse (right to left)
Pustertal.gif

Bannberg (2nd ascent)
BannbergW.gif

Stronach (3.1k at 12.2%)

Stage 3 is a bit of a missed opportunity, they could have used the Sallastraße right after the Furcia climb, reducing the flat after the final descent to around 5kms. The road is also in decent condition and the descent isn't worse than some of those on stage 5 (they are actually worse).
Edit: The climb is 2.9kms around 7.2%, nothing special, but you'd only have 5kms of flat at the end, it would really improve the stage.

Last edited:
Last stage of the Deutschland Tour will start in Schiltach... 3800 people, home of Bora-hansgrohe...
Maybe some high mountain stages around the black forest, with either a summit finish or descent back down to somewhere like Freiburg. Either that or they'll be boring at head off to somewhere like Stuttgart with loops of a hilly circuit like in the first new edition in 2018.

Maybe some high mountain stages around the black forest, with either a summit finish or descent back down to somewhere like Freiburg. Either that or they'll be boring at head off to somewhere like Stuttgart with loops of a hilly circuit like in the first new edition in 2018.

Yeah, well the whole Tour will end in Stuttgart... and this will be the fourth stage... :confused: We'll see, they seem to have taken the Giro presentation model to new heights. (?)

Volta Ciclista a Catalunya 2022

21/3 Sant Feliu de Guíxols › Sant Feliu de Guíxols
22/3 L'Escala › Perpignan
23/3 Perpignan › La Molina
24/3 La Seu d'Urgell › Boí Taüll
25/3 La Pobla de Segur › Vilanova i la Geltrú
26/3 Costa Daurada (Salou › Cambrils)
27/3 Barcelona › Barcelona

First time to Perpignan since 1955.

La Molina and Boí Taüll are the MTF. Boí Taüll was last used 2002.

Yeah, well the whole Tour will end in Stuttgart... and this will be the fourth stage... :confused: We'll see, they seem to have taken the Giro presentation model to new heights. (?)

Prologue
1 ??? › ???
2 ??? › Marburg
3 ??? › ???
4 Schiltach › Stuttgart

The race will finish like 2018 on the Theodor-Heuss-Straße. So my guess is, that they will do the same lap.

Driving through Germany you wouldn't think there are such few streets in this country. :grin:

Race Design wise this race is a total disaster. Still this four or now five day variant is a lot better than the wannabe TdF style with stages in the austrian alps. Before that they put in long time trials for Ulle, but didn't balance things well.

It was even worse with Bayern Rundfahrt. In 27 editions they had one mountain stage. In Bavaria. How unfitting is that?! :mad:

I read most of what was available on Cycling News..Sagan getting in trouble with cops. Roche retiring saying in the interview that he often back talks to his boss, but on race day he follows the plan, has an opinion if 3-5 days more of altitude training is really necessary and says so to his superiors..read articles about @25 year olds having stressful years and looming talented younger riders pushing them out. Read that better women's race commentary could be a major benefit to the sport..and speaking of interest or not..almost 300 riders apply for a few spots..very cool.. Tom Boonen saying racing and winning in a Volkswagen beetle is better than a pro bike win..and Can and Quickstep..kicking around contract talks..1-2 seconds too long and now Cav has a collapsed lung and broken ribs..let's see what that does for negotiating power.
when I read a 2 year pro rider was surprised at how cut throat professional cycling is..and it surprised him..well everything I read surprised me..

TRENDING THREADS