• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 520 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm not really sure. The article does say that preliminary receits showed it would likely be a financial loss.
Most of these economic assessments use a form of magic maths rather than real accounting: X people attended and spent a theoretical Y euros per head, generating Z income for the city on the day. Some go further and say that N visitors will return in future years and so add in future income from these visitors.

It's not a case of the organisers spent however many hundreds of thousands or millions of euros and generated ticketing and merchandising and sponsorship income to match that. The organisers and the towns/cities spent the money, local businesses reaped the rewards

Colour me jaded but the modelling is built in such a way as to not fail. I've read many of these economic assessments over the years and they all come to the same conclusion: we did a really good job, go us.

What few of these reports do is question the visitor traffic displaced by the event (eg you probably won't want to holiday in Paris in the first weeks of August 2024 if you're not an Olympics fan so for some businesses income may actually be flat rather than rise) and they obviously do not take account of other factors that might have attracted you to the area at that time (eg the year-round efforts of the Dutch tourism board).

Soz, that's a long response to a small feel-good story.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Off topic question- not sure where to post it.

Is there any where I can find if there any shuttles from Colmar to Le Markstein for stage 20 of the Tour? Do you expect there to be any? I am not too familiar with the finish. It's a ski resort? I am looking for backup stages to go to and that might have to be it so I am just trying to figure out how difficult it'll be to get there on race day via public/group transit.

Last edited:
Off topic question- not sure where to post it.

Is there any where I can find if there any shuttles from Colmar to Le Markstein for stage 20 of the Tour? Do you expect there to be any? I am not too familiar with the finish. It's a ski resort? I am looking for backup stages to go to and that might have to be it so I am just trying to figure out how difficult it'll be to get there on race day via public/group transit.
This kind of stuff never gets announced this early, there will be spectator information on the site of the department (Haut-Rhin in this case) as the event draws nearer. For example, this page for this year's finish at Planche des Belles Filles is still up, with shuttle buses for both the men's and women's races. However, I can't find anything on there having been such a service for the women's finish at Le Markstein last year.

Alternatively, there's a train service from Colmar that terminates in Metzeral, about 2 kilometres from the bottom of the final climb. There may be increased service on the day that the Tour passes (this is also something that is sometimes done), but in any case any form of access will of course be crowded. There are also regular bus services in the tourist season to Le Markstein (see here - scroll down to the summer section), kind of doubt if those will be in operation that day though.

Finally, there's also this initiative.

Reactions: Red Rick and pman

TRENDING THREADS