• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 521 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Since you guys were so helpful with my earlier question let me ask a follow up.

thinking about it, instead of stage 20, I think my best back up option is Stage 14. How realistic is it to think I can stay in Évian-les-Bains and take a rideshare into Morzine for the race day? How early in the day do you think I'd have to leave for Morzine to avoid road closures? It looks like the route is avoiding the roads we'd take from ELB to Morzine? I'd appreciate any help!

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
So this new one day race that takes place before the Tour of Oman (that now has enough uphill finished to make Unipublic blush) actually looks promising.
Muscat-Classic-2023-planimetria-scaled.jpg

Muscat-Classic-2023-altimetria.jpg

Regarding the new portuguese classic, apart from its awful name, I still don't know what's the most likely option, if a sprint finish or a selective classic.

2percursofile_1669228308.jpg

It will be a very scenic day, with nice atlantic seascapes. It's just 20k's from my home, so I will try to be there. This one is the last climb (labeled 'Enforca Cães' in the profile), who has now been resurfaced after many years in awful condition (like in the picture below, the road that climbs to the lighthouse). It's a very irregular climb, with steep stretches above 10% that climb all the way to the lighthouse before going down again in a kind of twisty road to Figueira da Foz promenade. A video in the opposite way they will be doing on sunday: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=286287086988091

07af24e2-b419-401e-b43a-06f95d1158fa.jpg

The category 1 climb also has some very nice views. They will climb all the way from the seafront until here and beyond.

Tm3m8fJ.jpg

Regarding the new portuguese classic, apart from its awful name, I still don't know what's the most likely option, if a sprint finish or a selective classic.

2percursofile_1669228308.jpg

It will be a very scenic day, with nice atlantic seascapes. It's just 20k's from my home, so I will try to be there. This one is the last climb (labeled 'Enforca Cães' in the profile), who has now been resurfaced after many years in awful condition (like in the picture below, the road that climbs to the lighthouse). It's a very irregular climb, with steep stretches above 10% that climb all the way to the lighthouse before going down again in a kind of twisty road to Figueira da Foz promenade. A video in the opposite way they will be doing on sunday: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=286287086988091

07af24e2-b419-401e-b43a-06f95d1158fa.jpg

The category 1 climb also has some very nice views. They will climb all the way from the seafront until here and beyond.

Tm3m8fJ.jpg
These are the sort of additions to the calendar I can get behind.

600m at 9%

Yes, although that's only the last part of the climb. 9% being the average, as it is very irregular with steeper streches.

It will be run in the same direction as in the video below. They will climb from the beach until a plateau, go down a bit before a steep stretch and then they will have a very twisty descent on narrow roads (little more than a car width) before tackling that 600m stretch. The first part is straight, it then goes less steep for a short while before going up again to end the climb.

They only resurfaced the climb, so when they end and turn right they still have a bit of flat in very abrasive tarmac before going down for around 1500m until merging into the long flat promenade.

As it's winter and it's Figueira (what I'm saying, winter or summer doesn't matter), I expect to be very windy in the afternoon, with tail-crosswind in the final climb and tailwind in the run-up to the line (although it may be the opposite since the forecast has the wind direction being different than the norm for the region).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXvo0IyL_2Q

Yes, although that's only the last part of the climb. 9% being the average, as it is very irregular with steeper streches.

It will be run in the same direction as in the video below. They will climb from the beach until a plateau, go down a bit before a steep stretch and then they will have a very twisty descent on narrow roads (little more than a car width) before tackling that 600m stretch. The first part is straight, it then goes less steep for a short while before going up again to end the climb.

They only resurfaced the climb, so when they end and turn right they still have a bit of flat in very abrasive tarmac before going down for around 1500m until merging into the long flat promenade.

As it's winter and it's Figueira (what I'm saying, winter or summer doesn't matter), I expect to be very windy in the afternoon, with tail-crosswind in the final climb and tailwind in the run-up to the line (although it may be the opposite since the forecast has the wind direction being different than the norm for the region).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXvo0IyL_2Q

Just saw that the roadbook has detailed profiles of the climbs from the circuit. The first is the last climb and the second is the longer one.

dqsN0V5.jpg

Well, there was some talk recently about a major route change.

Or it's about the pre-selection for Eurovision.
Pre-selection for Eurovision is a bit of an understatement :D
The Sanremo Festival is the biggest TV programme in the country (by a mile). If you say Sanremo in Italy people will think of the Festival first, then the city and then maybe the cycling race.

And yes, that's why #Sanremo2023 is trending.

Last edited:
View: https://twitter.com/OmanSportsTV/status/1623335861348696064

I'm assuming this means we are atleast getting the Oman Sports TV live broadcast again like last year for Tour of Oman.
It was pretty bad last year, but it's better than nothing.

Oh nice, we were just wondering about that in the tour of Oman thread:

TRENDING THREADS