• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 534 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Serge Pauwels went on a recon of the parcours last week with Van Aert and Kopecky.

He said it's special and looks more like an asphalted CX-parcours. It's ten times worse than Leuven in terms of turns and corners. Also there's a very narrow passage through a city park.

He expects it to be chaotic and very difficult to organise a chase in the peloton once a group/rider can get a gap. If it turns out to be a sprint, he doesn't expect more than 30 riders.

Serge Pauwels went on a recon of the parcours last week with Van Aert and Kopecky.

He said it's special and looks more like an asphalted CX-parcours. It's ten times worse than Leuven in terms of turns and corners. Also there's a very narrow passage through a city park.

He expects it to be chaotic and very difficult to organise a chase in the peloton once a group/rider can get a gap. If it turns out to be a sprint, he doesn't expect more than 30 riders.
Remco repeat?

Does anyone have a profile of the circuit? It's really hard to tell from the overall profile how tough the race will be. But if some of those bumps are actually steep it might not be too easy.
This ramp features on the circuit:
9be098bed227971d25b1d94bf3343550.jpg

7985091.jpg

I have a profile in the works, should be able to finish it tomorrow.

the Italians were there as well for a recon. Bennati said it could become uncontrollable. The longest straight is 850m, so you don't need much of a gap to not be seen anymore.

no race radios should contribute to that as well, I guess. Will be difficult to keep track of the race situation.

It's a harder version of the circuit we saw in the 2018 Euros. Less than 5 riders will be in the first group to cross the line.
That was in the rain.

It's Glasgow, so it may well rain again, but I really think if it doesn't it's not as selective as the 2018 Glasgow result makes it out to be.

That was also a European championship, which don't have riders preparing as well for it as the Worlds.

Ride London Classique (WWT 3 day race) has had its route published. Finale is the London sight-seeing circuit, first two days are in my neck of the woods (east Essex): scouting around trying to find hills more than 200m long in some of the dreariest landscapes in the country, but both days finish with a bit of a kicker to make them not just a gift for sprinters: Colchester (same finish as Tour of Britain stage 7 in 2010) on the Friday, Maldon (same final circuit, but this year 3x rather than 2, as stage one of the equivalent race last year).

At least we should get some of the potholes fixed on my regular routes.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Here's the detailed profile of the Worlds circuit I mentioned I was working on yesterday.
tsUvWo0.png

Ordnance Survey publishes really detailed 1:2500 maps which you unfortunately have to pay for, however the copyright expires after 50 years and so the postwar 1:2500 map is publicly available here. The street grid in the parts of the city the race goes through has barely changed since (the longest stretch of new road is ~250 metres of the descent of University Avenue), so almost all of the profile is based on that map. Unfortunately, there is no elevation data for pedestrian paths through parks, which is used in the run-in to Sunlight Way and on the climb to Lord Roberts Monument, so I basically only have the elevation of the start and end points of those bits. Still, I think this is as accurate and detailed a profile as you can make without paying for newer maps (or measuring it yourself, but I'm not exactly close to Glasgow). Especially useful given that Google's elevation data is all over the place in Glasgow city centre (and Streetview confirms this).

Here's the detailed profile of the Worlds circuit I mentioned I was working on yesterday.
tsUvWo0.png

Ordnance Survey publishes really detailed 1:2500 maps which you unfortunately have to pay for, however the copyright expires after 50 years and so the postwar 1:2500 map is publicly available here. The street grid in the parts of the city the race goes through has barely changed since (the longest stretch of new road is ~250 metres of the descent of University Avenue), so almost all of the profile is based on that map. Unfortunately, there is no elevation data for pedestrian paths through parks, which is used in the run-in to Sunlight Way and on the climb to Lord Roberts Monument, so I basically only have the elevation of the start and end points of those bits. Still, I think this is as accurate and detailed a profile as you can make without paying for newer maps (or measuring it yourself, but I'm not exactly close to Glasgow). Especially useful given that Google's elevation data is all over the place in Glasgow city centre (and Streetview confirms this).

It's also been done on Strava (not as detailed with percentages, of course).

tsUvWo0.png

Okay that's harder than I thought. Still 12% for 170m isn't much but it's a loooot of reps. The easier hills shouldn't do that much cause I presume they'll mostly be taken easy until the final lap or 2.

Should be very hard to make a chase here.

Meanwhile.. I probably get kicked out or sacked or something else but it's very disappointing editorial line in cyclingnews that all transgender related news are 'comment section is 'now ' closed by default. Even moreso now as Phillippa York writes cycling needs transgender education, as an announcement, like it's given fyi. When it's not a fact but opinion. And readers can't give their response for that. Why publish this type of news at all, if open discussion is not possible. When typically it's possible. It's just too obvious ideology then. We're open for discussion. Of right things.... End of rant and I'm not trying to open up long long long discussion about right or wrong right here and right now. I'm here for cycling as a sport.

As a little aside from the ongoing Giro in Italy, the state of the roads in Italy, compared to say Switzerland is notable. Now the locals are filling in potholes themselves and .... getting fined for it! https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/may/15/italy-man-fined-for-filling-in-pothole
"Claudio Trenta was so frustrated by the local council’s failure to repair the 30cm pothole on a pedestrian crossing in Barlassina, a small town in Lombardy, that the 72-year-old decided to take action himself by filling it with cold bitumen. This led to a fine of €882 (£767) ..."

• Wow
Meanwhile.. I probably get kicked out or sacked or something else but it's very disappointing editorial line in cyclingnews that all transgender related news are 'comment section is 'now ' closed by default. Even moreso now as Phillippa York writes cycling needs transgender education, as an announcement, like it's given fyi. When it's not a fact but opinion. And readers can't give their response for that. Why publish this type of news at all, if open discussion is not possible. When typically it's possible. It's just too obvious ideology then. We're open for discussion. Of right things.... End of rant and I'm not trying to open up long long long discussion about right or wrong right here and right now. I'm here for cycling as a sport.
'A trans person said they're fed up with trans people being demonised & used as a political football, I should be allowed to tell them they're wrong blah blah blah!'

As a little aside from the ongoing Giro in Italy, the state of the roads in Italy, compared to say Switzerland is notable. Now the locals are filling in potholes themselves and .... getting fined for it! https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/may/15/italy-man-fined-for-filling-in-pothole
"Claudio Trenta was so frustrated by the local council’s failure to repair the 30cm pothole on a pedestrian crossing in Barlassina, a small town in Lombardy, that the 72-year-old decided to take action himself by filling it with cold bitumen. This led to a fine of €882 (£767) ..."
I’m sure it broke some “pothole patching and shovel-wielding” union’s rules.

TRENDING THREADS