• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 562 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Anyone following the huge kickoff involving the Ecuadorian Cycling Federation, Narvaez and Carapaz?

It's hard to make out because it's all done through Spanish channels but it seems Carapaz is accusing the ECF of bias in their selection process due to his various comments critical of their support, and they look likely to take Narvaez.

Unfortunately it seems like they are the victims of the way places are arbitrated, without the points obtained by Carapaz they wouldn't have a spot, and he is the defending champion, however the course suits an in-form Narvaez, who I think they stand a much better chance with. IMO the defending champion should get an automatic qualification to defend their title in any sport, independent of how many spots that country gets, the idea of having to beat the champion on your way to gold seems a lot more romantic to me.

We are getting Real Madrid style Comunicado Oficials being thrown around all over the place here.

Unfortunately it seems like they are the victims of the way places are arbitrated, without the points obtained by Carapaz they wouldn't have a spot, and he is the defending champion
not that it makes much of a difference, but Carapaz' points didn't matter. Ecuador finished 22nd in the nationas rankings with him and would have been 26th without. 21st to 45th get one spot.

The 2024 Tour de l'Avenir is finishing atop the Finestre for reasons beyond my comprehension. If it's a dress rehearsal for a future Tour (yes please), I sure hope they won't use it as a MTF then...
There are no profiles yet. But from the stage towns, it's possible to make guesses. Finestre stage will be Unipuerto.

Stage 5 from Les Karellis to Condove is having Mont-Cenis in the middle of the stage. So not really a mountain stage, because from Cenis it's 1.900m downhill on 60k.

Stage 4 starts in La Rosière and will likely climb Cormet de Roselend from Bourg-Saint-Maurice. And then it's some 80k through the valley before they climb to Les Karellis.

The race has become a disgrace for basically making the same Mini-Dauphiné for years now. No Pyrénées, no cobbles, no nothing. It's a shame.

Who would pay for a Finestre MTF? Susa?

Tour de France stage with Finestre would be more likely to finish in Sestriere, Mongenevre or Briancon
Finestre road is Susa, yes.

Most likely they will do (Iseran, one can hope) - Cenis - Susa - Finestre - Sestriere. It's the best combination for attacks on Finestre.

Good news for UK cycling folks -
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...-changing-title-sponsor-deal-with-lloyds-bank
British Cycling's future has been guaranteed by a "landmark" sponsorship deal with Lloyds Bank, which will see the company become the governing body's lead partner, it was announced on Thursday.
Lloyds will be the title partner of the Tours of Britain, National Series events, the National Championships, and the brand's logo will feature on the Great Britain Cycling Team's kit. The deal was signed last week, and the first evidence of it will be seen at the Tour of Britain Women, which starts in a fortnight.

not that it makes much of a difference, but Carapaz' points didn't matter. Ecuador finished 22nd in the nationas rankings with him and would have been 26th without. 21st to 45th get one spot.
Putting aside who would be the best option, the issue as far as I can see is that the selection period for points was only announced several months after it commenced.
By then Navarez had already ridden in Australia and earned points.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Putting aside who would be the best option, the issue as far as I can see is that the selection period for points was only announced several months after it commenced.
By then Navarez had already ridden in Australia and earned points.
yeah, the internal qualification criteria looks like a mess indeed. Those from the IOC were known years in advance, though.

Stage 7 of the Dauphine has been adjusted slightly due to road works. They removed Col des Aravis en Col de la Colombière, but added Col de la Ramaz. It's a bit easier now since with 5-6km less climbing.

Original
dauphine-2024-stage-7-climb-213129a8b7.jpg

New
2db21-928x800.jpg

Stage 7 of the Dauphine has been adjusted slightly due to road works. They removed Col des Aravis en Col de la Colombière, but added Col de la Ramaz. It's a bit easier now since with 5-6km less climbing.

Original
dauphine-2024-stage-7-climb-213129a8b7.jpg

New
2db21-928x800.jpg
It's probably a wash. Bummer that Aravis and the easier side of Colombiere are gone (was going to watch on Colombiere), but Ramaz is longer and because of the sun angle, can be hot.

In other general news, defending Olympic gold medalist Carapaz can't defend his gold medal. Certainly make sense based on the course but still I'm sure he's annoyed. He's being penalized for being from a small country.

It's an Olympics thing, not an UCI thing.

There's a certain amount of comedy to some countries putting a track sprinter in the road race just to get an extra track spot.

It's a lot worse this year than previously.

In Tokyo, the field was 130 riders, this time it's 90. And maximum team size has been reduced from 5 to 4.

It's hardly a bike race anymore.

I know there are difficulties (it would either require a very large field, very small teams, or potential contenders not being invited), but I think that the sporting principle of equitable opportunity should be given a chance somewhere in a championships: all invited teams to be of the same size. I would like to see it at least given a shot, maybe in a second level championship (Continentals?). Not everyone can qualify, but all those that do make the cut do so on the same terms.

I would like to see it at least given a shot, maybe in a second level championship (Continentals?). Not everyone can qualify, but all those that do make the cut do so on the same terms.

Great idea!

In fact, I don't even think it would be necessary to cut nations off if done for the Continental Championships.
Last year at the European Championships, there were 31 nations, even with 6-rider teams it wouldn't be an issue.
The biggest issue would be for some nations to even field 6 riders.

I'm not sure how many nations usually participate at the African, American, and Asian Championships.
Of course the Oceania Championships is a bit different, as they ride for trade teams.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
I know there are difficulties (it would either require a very large field, very small teams, or potential contenders not being invited), but I think that the sporting principle of equitable opportunity should be given a chance somewhere in a championships: all invited teams to be of the same size. I would like to see it at least given a shot, maybe in a second level championship (Continentals?). Not everyone can qualify, but all those that do make the cut do so on the same terms.
For the TTT.

In fact, the only road cycling event at the Olympic Games should be the 100 km TTT.