• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 88 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Wilco Kelderman from Rabo Conti to Rabo Pro Team in 2012. Also Leezer signed a new contract till 2013.

it was only a matter of time. He really is a big talent.

I expect Jetse bol to also join the professional team next year.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
FLORENCE candidate for 2014 Tour de France Grand Départ

The organisers of the Tour de France have indicated this Wednesday that Florence is an official candidate for the Grand Départ in 2014. According to AFP, the city wishes to host the event to commemorate the 100th birthday of the "campionissimo" Gino Bartali.

"From a historic and geographic point of view it is almost a shame that the Tour has never started in Italy", said Christian Prudhomme.

http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-tour_2014_florence_candidate_au_grand_depart-14969.html

i posted here because i don't enter in the clinic,you can move it that's ok...
this is a comment on cyclismactu by the pro rider Jean Eudes Démaret(cofidis) regarding the ban of needles before giro d'italia(honestly,a very dangerous thing,if you have such a policy before the hardest grand tour in modern history,for me it's more like a crime what they are doing to the riders).

Stop !

ne dites pas des choses dont vous ignorez beaucoup.

j'ai fait pour le moment 1 seul grand tour (Vuelta 2009) d'ailleurs c'est ma dernière course à étape ... lol

j'avoue avoir eu recours a des injections de fer, de b12, magnésium, potassium etc etc. Bien sûr rien d'interdit et j'ai attendu le maximum pour en prendre (10 jours). c'est le médecin de l'équipe qui m'a un peu obligé car pour mon organisme cela devenait dangereux. 1 injection tous les 3 jours.

Faites des étapes de 6h (6h30 pour le groupetto dans lequel j'étais) 3 à 4 jours de suite avec des températures de 30-40° et plus de 4000m de dénivelé par jour et vous verrez comment il est difficile de ne pas avoir recours à ces "méthodes" dans le seul but de pouvoir finir la course ... après JE PENSE que les coureurs qui jouaient la gagne au général en faisaient plus souvent pour ne pas dire tous les jours dès le 1er jour !

Le problème de cette réforme est qu'il va y avoir des abus. Certains vont encore faire à la limite de la règle mais en restant dedans (ordonnances abusives). quand d'autres joueront le jeu a 100% ...

on va voir sur le Giro mais pensez bien que si personne n'a recours à ces méthodes de récupération, alors il y aura de grosses défaillances après 10 jours, la vitesse dans les cols va réduire et les coureurs seront à la limite de faire grève car ils estimeront que le parcours est humainement trop difficile et dangereux pour leur santé ... (certains vont se rendre compte à quel point monter des cols a 25km/h cela devient compliqué)

parole de coureur
Jean Eudes Démaret le 05/05/2011 à 08h03

En lire d'avantage sur Cyclism'Actu :
http://www.cyclismactu.net/news-uci_dopage_interdiction_officielle_des_perfusions-14981.html

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
@jens_attacks: Very interesting, thanks for sharing

FIRENZE facing tough competition for 2014 Grand Départ:

According to AFP, there are several other cities and regions vying for the 2014 Grand Depart, including Barcelona (Spain), Edinburgh (Scotland), Yorkshire (England), Limburg and Utrecht (Netherlands), Mannheim (Germany), Tyrol, Salzburg (Austria) and Qatar.

In addition, there is a further bid from the Italian province of Liguria, the home of Ottavio Bottechia, the first Italian to win the Tour de France.

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8...es-2014-Tour-de-France-bid.aspx#ixzz1LUUT1cLz

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Poor lineup there. Only Barcelona and Florence arent big enough to hold a prologue. The others would be very disappointing.

Really hope its Barcelona or Florence.

Salzberg would make a good Départ :)

Christian said:
In addition, there is a further bid from the Italian province of Liguria, the home of Ottavio Bottechia, the first Italian to win the Tour de France.

I wouldn't want Liguria to hold the Grand Départ, but there are a lot of severely underused climbs around there.

Both Liguria and Alpes-Maritimes are relatively seldom used by the Tour or Giro, and neither have a major race of their own (unless you count Milan-San Remo). Yes, Paris-Nice uses some parts of Alpes-Maritimes but because of the time of year they can't use any of the high or especially hard climbs (nor would they probably want to because of wanting to keep things tight).

I hope to see both feature prominently in a forthcoming edition of at least one of the GTs.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
http://www.lessentiel.lu/de/news/do...lippe-Gilbert-bald-mit-den-Schlecks--28452196

And Gilbert possibly going to Team Leopard. Where's there smoke there's fire.

Man I'm slacking off. Second time in a week someone beat me to finding info's regarding LEOPARD TREK. Respect El-P, even from a rather unknown paper, don't know how you pulled that one off.

It's one off those free papers though so usually the content is next to nothing. It's the same here - basically Gilbert's manager just says it doesn't have to be Belgium and it could also be Luxembourg. I assume it could also be any other country.

He says there is no official offer yet, cyclism'actu reported there were 8 total right now IIRC ... it's a long way off and I think LEOPARD TREK has a rather small chance in signing Gilbert

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Would be the best classics squad since Mapei though lol.

Andy, Frank, Gilbert, Fuglsang for the hilly classics(+ Cancellara for AGR)
Gilbert, Weylandt, Stuart and Cancellara for the cobbled classics(Phil and Canc are good enough to do whatever they want in a classic like RVV)
Think it could work. Obviously Gilbert would be leader at the hilly classics, but I'm sure he could be of good help to the Schleck bros in the Tour.

Plus I'd like to see Fuglsang's reaction when Gilbert constantly calls him fugelslang lol.

Ps: Twitter of course ;)

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
http://www.rtbf.be/sport/cyclisme/detail_philippe-gilbert-absent-du-tour-2012?id=6055533

Gilbert not going to the Tour next year. Basically telling ASO to f*ck them self if they don't draw a better course lol.

http://www.lessentiel.lu/de/news/do...lippe-Gilbert-bald-mit-den-Schlecks--28452196

And Gilbert possibly going to Team Leopard. Where's there smoke there's fire.

Well, who cares if Gilbert does the 2012 tour or not ? :D

I will enjoy the Grand departe and later worlds in front of my door, anyway.
Great year again, after Giro, Tour and Vuelta all came past my (our) door.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Cobblestoned said:
Well, who cares if Gilbert does the 2012 tour or not ? :D

I will enjoy the Grand departe and later worlds in front of my door, anyway.
Great year again, after Giro, Tour and Vuelta all came past my (our) door.

Well, seeing as it starts in Liège, I think a lot of people would care.

Rick Flens renews till 2013 with Rabobank.

It's very clear they are busy keeping the Dutch core of the squad together, both the classics and the stage races cores. And whatever gap there is which Dutch riders can't fill, they sign very good foreigners (although sometimes they fail... LL Sanchez ;-) )

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Rick Flens renews till 2013 with Rabobank.

It's very clear they are busy keeping the Dutch core of the squad together, both the classics and the stage races cores. And whatever gap there is which Dutch riders can't fill, they sign very good foreigners (although sometimes they fail... LL Sanchez ;-) )

I'd give him another year. Otherwise he'll be back with Valv Piti.