• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 96 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
python said:
if i was a betting man, i'd bet this is nibali rather than scarponi - a longer bet on having the man for the several giros to come.

looks too much like vino's calculating mind even before he became the general manager. kreuziger for the tour.

no way nibali is going to astana to stay in the shadow of kreuziger. for starters atm nibali is miles ahead of kreuziger and basso will prolly only lead liquidas in the tour this year and next year. and then will switch places with nibali letting nibali ride the tour and basso himself riding the giro 1 or 2 more times before he retires. hopefully by the time they switch nibali will have won a giro as well and he can go for the tour as one of the most successfull/proven GT riders in the current peloton. also nibali is a diesel so arguably he is still improving his climbing (don't diesel guys reach their best a bit later then explosive guys and then hold that capacity for longer?)

scarponi moving to astana is much more likely.

Yeah i too would place my chips on Scarponi.

Nibali seems to enjoy being with Liquigas and Basso. They are best friends and Liquigas have been very good to Nibali. Nibali always seems happy to be with liqui and grateful that they are throwing their super team behind him.

And even when he working for Basso, and he was in the MR and asked if he is the leader he laughed and said no hes working for Basso.

They even got rid of the other gc contenders- Kreuziger and Delfino, to keep that room for Nibs.

Unless there are some internal problems we dont know about, I dont see why The Shark would leave. The only thing i can think of here is that maybe he would want to do the Tour and not work for Basso there but even that wold be strange because he loves Il Giro and him and Basso together are a great team.

The Hitch said:
Yeah i too would place my chips on Scarponi.

Nibali seems to enjoy being with Liquigas and Basso. They are best friends and Liquigas have been very good to Nibali. Nibali always seems happy to be with liqui and grateful that they are throwing their super team behind him.

And even when he working for Basso, and he was in the MR and asked if he is the leader he laughed and said no hes working for Basso.

They even got rid of the other gc contenders- Kreuziger and Delfino, to keep that room for Nibs.

Unless there are some internal problems we dont know about, I dont see why The Shark would leave.

remember how when he won the downhill stage on the last giro, he pointed to the liquigas logo on his shirt with a big smile on his face?

its on the link in your sig :p also going to astana wouldn't be the best way to have a team supporting him in M-SR and most of all GdL races that he clearly wants to win and has already been "close" too.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Lanark said:
Ne, he is not imagining things. Van Avermaet and Gilbert couldn't stand each other last year, but as the season progressed, they got along better (at least, they claimed they did before the world championship).

That's why both have said numerous times there weren't any problems between them now they were on different teams.

Yeah, they really hate each other. GVA just didn't want to be a domestique, that's the only reason why there were problems. So while there could be problems if Gilbert went to BMC. Well, he'll just have to find another team again then because BMC is serious about getting Gilbert. Don't think losing GVA and getting Gilbert in return is a bad deal. Although I think they can both be on the same team nowadays. If anything GVA should be glad to have someone big in his team. Just look at Chavanel, Devolder and Vansummeren.

It's GVA and Leukemans that can't stand the sight of each other anymore. I'd worry more about those 2 being in the same team than Gilbert and GVA in the same team.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
That's why both have said numerous times there weren't any problems between them now they were on different teams.

Yeah, they really hate each other. GVA just didn't want to be a domestique, that's the only reason why there were problems. So while there could be problems if Gilbert went to BMC. Well, he'll just have to find another team again then because BMC is serious about getting Gilbert. Don't think losing GVA and getting Gilbert in return is a bad deal. Although I think they can both be on the same team nowadays. If anything GVA should be glad to have someone big in his team. Just look at Chavanel, Devolder and Vansummeren.

It's GVA and Leukemans that can't stand the sight of each other anymore. I'd worry more about those 2 being in the same team than Gilbert and GVA in the same team.

GVA doesn't sound like he likes gilbert too much, respects him yes, but like I don't think so.

“We’re probably not the best of friends,” he admitted, “but Philippe has seen that I can also ride a bike seriously. We have learned to respect each other.”

The fact he even mentions the not best friends thing would suggest they weren't to fond of each other.

---

regarding the scarponi and nibbles thing, I am skeptical.
Nibbles seems loyal and would be crazy to leave.
And Scarponi and Lampre seemed to be a great transfer for both parties.
Unless Lampre fold or something cause of the clinic troubles.

Timmy-loves-Rabo said:

lampre leaving would be imho a very dark day for cycling. they are one of the faces of peloton because they have been there for so long. much like rabo and euskaltel. the peloton without them would look rather naked.

it might just be me but i have a soft spot for long term teams and their devotion to the sport.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
Why is it Leukemans and Greg don't like eachother?
I thought Leukie and Nuyens were no longer on speaking terms because of Nuyens' behaviour during the BC of last year

Hmm, now you mention it I could have also mixed things horribly up. Yes, I think it's Nuyens and GVA.

That was epic fail :p

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
GVA doesn't sound like he likes gilbert too much, respects him yes, but like I don't think so.

The fact he even mentions the not best friends thing would suggest they weren't to fond of each other.

---

regarding the scarponi and nibbles thing, I am skeptical.
Nibbles seems loyal and would be crazy to leave.
And Scarponi and Lampre seemed to be a great transfer for both parties.

But I think that's more to do with gva not wanting to do any domestique work and not so much on a personal side. At least that's how I've read all their interviews in the past.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Parrulo said:
lampre leaving would be imho a very dark day for cycling. they are one of the faces of peloton because they have been there for so long. much like rabo and euskaltel. the peloton without them would look rather naked.

it might just be me but i have a soft spot for long term teams and their devotion to the sport.

agree.
have always liked lampre (even have their kit :D )

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
python said:
just heard that either scarponi or nibali will be riding for astana next year.

source: astanafans.com

if so, this is a big news.

Nibali or Scarponi is not going to ride for Astana next year , because its just untrue rumour . On astanafans everyone says that it is not true , astana is not going to sign them .

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:

I doubt they are just going to dump GVA for Gilbert.

I am frothing at the mouth thinking about Cadel and Gilbert on a team that I actually. The old gang is getting back together at Lotto.

btw, How do you know that Gilbert is most favourable to BMC?

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

I am frothing at the mouth thinking about Cadel and Gilbert on a team that I actually. The old gang is getting back together at Lotto.

they have a shiitload of money ?

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
So by the sounds of things GVA is a big fan of GVA and shouldn't have to do any work for the team? Maybe when he wins a Classic or something.
My interpretation of the situation is that GVA has a high opinion of himself, Gilbert likewise (of course, this man certainly can back it up with results), and thinks GVA should work for him, GVA feels like Gilbert doesn't give him the respect a rider of his abilities deserve. And thus we have tension between the two.

I could be wrong, just my feeling on the situation.

GVA should win something before thinking that people should work for him . . . .

if bmc is really trying to hire gilbert and gva doesn't want that to happen cus it will affect his "status" in the team bmc should just telll him: "you either super-domestique gilbert in a few races or GTFO" i pretty sure gva would still have a few minor classics to show himself which is something he needs to do before thinking so highly of himself.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

Because he said their offer looked the most impressive so far.

TRENDING THREADS